Sign in to follow this  
DiscoSweat

The haze is incredible

I think once they tweak vis settings in regards to the 10SM reporting and smooth out transitions more, we'll really have something. My last flight from KLAS to KDEN was absolutely stunning and the weather matched PERFECTLY.

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult

Seems like every flight I go on, haze everywhere. Well at least the tree people won't be complaining anymore, because with all the haze, it will be hard to make out any trees more than a couple of miles away. I used to love looking at scenery on approaches to different airports, now all I see is haze. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I honestly don't know what improvement you're talking about !!!
Clouds or the representation looks like FSX with first versions of Active Sky, everywhere only these strange cumulus clouds, the cloud height is partly completely wrong or at the clouds are at the ground.
Yes there is a Haze layer which only works sporadically and then it also comes to sporadic abrupt changes - didn't we already have that somewhere hmmm so 15 years or more back?
My second test flight EGLL to EDDS - everywhere and it seems just cloud groups over METAR stations that have the data, otherwise FOG layers that disappear and come back for 2 seconds.
Either you have a different version or my installation is word not allowed but I am not the only one with the problem.
No more beautiful cloud bands all the way to the horizon - all just sporadic cumulus accumulations around the METAR stations and at the wrong altitude etc etc etc. !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

With this haze, folks won't be able to tell the difference between Google and Bing Maps. It all look lousy. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

not only the haze is the problem, in the real world it is often hazy, but I can't say where exactly how much should be, but completely "broken" weather engine ! 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

2 minutes ago, AUA425 said:

not only the haze is the problem, in the real world it is often hazy, but I can't say where exactly how much should be, but completely "broken" weather engine ! 

Very true, especially out in the Midwest, and the temp-dew point spread is 25 degrees, which is where that screen shot I just took was taken. . 

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Seems like every flight I go on, haze everywhere. Well at least the tree people won't be complaining anymore, because with all the haze, it will be hard to make out any trees more than a couple of miles away. I used to love looking at scenery on approaches to different airports, now all I see is haze. 

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think they overdid the haze thing.  Clear skies all day at my location, but when loading in, I'm seeing this haze that just looks over the top.  If they're using METAR now and adding this haze in too much, I might as well use REX Weather---I'll have the METAR but without the unrealistic haze.  And yeah, I might get the awkward transitions, but people here are reporting transitions as well with live weather, so...🤷‍♂️

Overdone for sure. Will be cool when/if they dial it in

• Like 1

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

1 minute ago, pvupilot said:

Overdone for sure. Will be cool when/if they dial it in

I am on a flight now, so I don't want to screw it up, but I wonder if switching to clear weather will get rid of the haze....

How do you manually set the Haze/

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

1 minute ago, Manny said:

How do you manually set the Haze/

You don't. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am on a flight now, so I don't want to screw it up, but I wonder if switching to clear weather will get rid of the haze....

I tried that today and then started customizing the weather.  Clear Skies.  Pressure, winds, etc. I noted the humidity slider was all the way to the left.  1 on a scale of I believe 20.  I slid it slightly to the right and immediately got the dreaded haze.  So moved it back to the leftmost position.  Haze thinned out some, but did not disappear.  Finished my flight.  Have not restarted a flight or the sim since.

Greatly disappointed. This, like lightening and thunder, just must be from a project team with no experience or understanding.   I could not shake the haze anywhere today.  At times it was everywhere.  At other times today it was mostly off to my right, or off to my left.

The first shot below is on 3 mile final to Bloomington, Indiana.  Real life metar and metar reported in MSFS both clear skies and 10 mi visibility.  Cannot even see the airport yet at three miles.  The MFD is showing terrain, not precip.
image.png.4404e058d6b0a7077ca1cdf0f281d628.png

The shot below is at about 4,000 ft or so during approach to St Louis Downtown (KCPS).  Again weather, both RW live and MSFS in sim both reported as clear and 10 mi visibility.  Oh, and my weather setting was not Live Weather.  It was Clear Skies.

image.png.567188492a2fa248cb72363bf286ade9.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Part of the problem, which has been mentioned elsewhere, is that live weather seems to be interpreting 10SM on a METAR as literally 10 miles vis, not 10 or greater.  Sure doesn't explain why haze would be present in manually set clear weather though. 

• Like 1

Andrew Crowley

11 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Part of the problem, which has been mentioned elsewhere, is that live weather seems to be interpreting 10SM on a METAR as literally 10 miles vis, not 10 or greater.  Sure doesn't explain why haze would be present in manually set clear weather though. 

Doesn't explain my first shot with significantly less than 3 miles visibility.  Sim set to live weather.  Live weather reported as clear and 10 miles.  That is not an issue simply of interpreting "10 miles".  It is a "clear issue" to coin a phrase!  Only the second of my shots, the one near St Louis, was after manually setting weather.  And I didn't mention, but during that flight I changed back and forth from Live Weather, to Clear Skies, to then tweaking Clear Skies settings, back to Live Weather, back to just Clear Skies.

This is a real significant issue!

I will be flying from St Louis to Dallas tomorrow.  Lets see what tomorrow brings!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere