Sign in to follow this  
DiscoSweat

The haze is incredible

this was x-plane's biggest issue in the world was unrealistic interpretation of metars... 10 miles is sucky, smogy filthy skies were i live in MA in summer.... the east coast on the worst summer days have 10 miles....10 miles is lousy..... they should rig it at 10 miles to be 50 to 100, at 9 miles leave it at 9.... too much haze is not good, I prefer pre SU7 as a jet pilot, I see often 100 to 200 miles in western USA.... the Rocky Mountains have brilliant air.... but even the other day I saw 100+ over Manhatten NY..... so the 10 mile thing must go. it's a disaster looks amazing but not real.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

I tried that today and then started customizing the weather.  Clear Skies.  Pressure, winds, etc. I noted the humidity slider was all the way to the left.  1 on a scale of I believe 20.  I slid it slightly to the right and immediately got the dreaded haze.  So moved it back to the leftmost position.  Haze thinned out some, but did not disappear.  Finished my flight.  Have not restarted a flight or the sim since.

Greatly disappointed. This, like lightening and thunder, just must be from a project team with no experience or understanding.   I could not shake the haze anywhere today.  At times it was everywhere.  At other times today it was mostly off to my right, or off to my left.

The first shot below is on 3 mile final to Bloomington, Indiana.  Real life metar and metar reported in MSFS both clear skies and 10 mi visibility.  Cannot even see the airport yet at three miles.  The MFD is showing terrain, not precip.
image.png.4404e058d6b0a7077ca1cdf0f281d628.png

The shot below is at about 4,000 ft or so during approach to St Louis Downtown (KCPS).  Again weather, both RW live and MSFS in sim both reported as clear and 10 mi visibility.  Oh, and my weather setting was not Live Weather.  It was Clear Skies.

image.png.567188492a2fa248cb72363bf286ade9.png

Folks will get really good at IFR approaches, because seeing the runway farther away  than 1 mile, is impossible. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Folks will get really good at IFR approaches, because seeing the runway farther away  than 1 mile, is impossible. 

For what has for most of its life been a VFR simulator this was a very very very bad step!

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

17 hours ago, irocx said:

FTFY. 

BTW, how's the airport scenery coming along?  Did SU7 resolve your CTD's issues with runways?  https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fixed-su6-crash-on-your-scenery-when-touching-the-runway-since-the-last-performance-update-read-this.453175/#post-893210

I traced my CTD issues with my runway to the Working Title G3000.  When I disabled it the crashes didn't happen.  But they also only happened when spawning on the runway.  I could have the G3000 active and spawn into a parking spot and it was fine.  I was able to continue working and the G3000 will be all brand new anyway eventually so I didn't really worry about it past that point.  I notified WT about the issue but they have bigger fish to fry right now.  I don't think it will be an issue most likely once I am able to get the airport finished.  I am still working on it but progress is slow.  It's all done in my spare time and right now that has been very limited.  Thanks for asking though!  Hopefully I will make more progress soon because I am ready to start tackling another airport project.

3 minutes ago, fppilot said:

For what has for most of its life been a VFR simulator this was a very very very bad step!

The fact that this seems to happen even with the clear weather preset makes me hopeful that it's a fairly simple bug. Who knows I guess. 

Former Child, Current Adult

38 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

The fact that this seems to happen even with the clear weather preset makes me hopeful that it's a fairly simple bug. Who knows I guess. 

I am surprised to not see more about this.  Is it only happening in some regions?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I just did a flight from Priest River ID (1S6) to Spokane Intl (KGEG) and the weather was spot on . Low level stratus and haze after our first major snowfall of the year .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

I just did a flight from Priest River ID (1S6) to Spokane Intl (KGEG) and the weather was spot on . Low level stratus and haze after our first major snowfall of the year .

Appreciate your report but presence of an accurate to real life low level stratus and haze (fog) when that is present in the area in the real world is not an issue in this topic.  This topic is about the considerable and consistent presence of a significant haze level when real world conditions are not reporting anything even close to those conditions.  Where clear skies and 10 SM visibility is reported both in real life as well as reported in the sim itself!  Vastly different situations.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Doesn't explain my first shot with significantly less than 3 miles visibility.  Sim set to live weather.  Live weather reported as clear and 10 miles.  That is not an issue simply of interpreting "10 miles".  It is a "clear issue" to coin a phrase!  Only the second of my shots, the one near St Louis, was after manually setting weather.  And I didn't mention, but during that flight I changed back and forth from Live Weather, to Clear Skies, to then tweaking Clear Skies settings, back to Live Weather, back to just Clear Skies.

This is a real significant issue!

I will be flying from St Louis to Dallas tomorrow.  Lets see what tomorrow brings!

That first shot isn't "significantly less than 3 miles visibility" from what I can tell.  It looks fairly realistic to me if the METAR thinks that 10 SM is actually 10 SM and not CAVOK.

I can make out the ground in the distance and that is further than 10 miles from you.  What is your DME showing and what altitude were you at?

1 minute ago, Gulfstream said:

That first shot isn't "significantly less than 3 miles visibility" from what I can tell.  It looks fairly realistic to me if the METAR thinks that 10 SM is actually 10 SM and not CAVOK.

I can make out the ground in the distance and that is further than 10 miles from you.  What is your DME showing and what altitude were you at?

What? I fly into this airport often.  I am well inside the FAF (OGUSY) and there is zero of the airport in view! Where pray tell are you coming from here with a 10 mile statement like that?  If the ground were in sight at more than 10 miles then you would be seeing at least 7 miles past the runway (which by the way is at the airport, LOL), yet the runway in nowhere in sight.

You must be referring to the second shot.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 hour ago, liamp51 said:

SU11 should fix it right up. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

What? I fly into this airport often.  I am well inside the FAF (OGUSY) and there is zero of the airport in view! Where pray tell are you coming from here with a 10 mile statement like that?  If the ground were in sight at more than 10 miles then you would be seeing at least 7 miles past the runway (which by the way is at the airport, LOL), yet the runway in nowhere in sight.

You must be referring to the second shot.

I find now that you have to be within a mile or two of the runway, in order to see it through the haze. Forget a VFR approach, isn't going to happen. 

21 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I find now that you have to be within a mile or two of the runway, in order to see it through the haze. Forget a VFR approach, isn't going to happen. 

And thus goes the eye candy sight-seeing.  That was the basis of my reference.  How odd they would allow this out the door to detract from their greatest attribute!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
ASUS