Sign in to follow this  
N4865G

Thinking about moving to FSX

Hallo everybody,I am using FS9 at the moment with relatively good results performance-wise.I would be grateful for your feedback regarding transitioning over to FSX with the PC setup of mine (see details below).What can I expect performance-wise with this machine?Is it worth the effort?Thank you very much for your time to answer my question,CheersDom

Personally, I would wait for the reports on SP1. With the existing problems in FSX I'd guess your framerate is going to be no more than half of what you now have with FS9 - and even less in many situations. If that's OK, go for it. Otherwise, wait until we see the performance improvement(s) coming with SP1 and then decide. That said, though, the only real way to know how it's going to run is to buy-it-and-try-it. MS has a 45-day refund policy if it's really a dud.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest victorwest

I'd agree. You've already waited this long so a few more weeks of waiting shouldn't be a problem.

I have a Dell 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB ram, 128 MB ATI 9800 video. Bought it in Sept of 2002. In FS9 with scenery and autogen all the way to the right, getting average 25 FPS with fair weather on KHOU (Hobby, Houston) runway 35. In FSX same set up (but scenery down, autogen way down, road and boat traffic off, water on low) am getting average of 12 to 15 FPS.Have both FS9 and FSX installed but starting to find myself mostly using FSX. The ground textures, the new camera systems, the new default aircraft, the roads (did have UT in FS9 but like the FSX default roads better). Also the turbulence in FSX and other things too numerous to mention. I am "happy" (the quotes are because I know my machine is older). Looking forward to SP1 and am starting down the road to a new machine this summer. This close to SP1, a little wait won't hurt, but if your expectations match your machine, you should enjoy it. Your call.Phill

>>Have both FS9 and FSX installed but starting to find myself>mostly using FSX. The ground textures, the new camera>systems, the new default aircraft, the roads (did have UT in>FS9 but like the FSX default roads better). Also the>turbulence in FSX and other things too numerous to mention. I>am "happy" (the quotes are because I know my machine is>older). Looking forward to SP1 and am starting down the road>to a new machine this summer. >I also prefer FSX for the majority of my simulated flights across the western USA, especially the Rocky Mountain area; although I have some excellent 3rd party scenery areas for FS9 which I enjoy.It was a recent scenery review by Andrew Herd (Flightsim com./Horizon U.K. scenery) that got me to thinking what I prefer about FSX so much. As Andrew wrote; thanks to the sharper high resolution textures and shadowing, their is a greatly enhanced look of 3D depth, across rolling terrain!And as I sim fly across these mountain/city areas, this crisper photo looking "three dimensional depth" is very noticeable, but a bit hard to explain, as well as showing in a 2D screenshot. The same effect really works with my FSX MegaScenery Hawaii, too!As it is now, unless I'm using some excellent 3rd party sceneries or aircraft for FS9, my preference is FSX. However, I wouldn't make a "switch", as there is no problem in using both. L.AdamsonAthlon 3800+/2Gig/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/ 1600*1200*32

Why not wait until SP1 is out before you make a decision. The service pack is on the not-to-distant horizon and I hazard a guess that MANY of us are on the fence until SP1 comes to bear.In a couple of weeks I think that we'll all know where we stand with FSX at least for the immediate future.It would be an absolute waste of time to go applying the current performance tweaks and frustration of trying to get FSX to perform descently since SP1 is due shortly... Just wait and see, I heard from a birdie that we will all be pleasantly surprised!!! ;-)

For a rough estimate, try out the demo:http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul.../downloads.htmlI know it's not the SAME as the RTM....but still see how it behaves on your system

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thank you very much indeed for your replies.I guess Mike nailed it. No point applying all those tweaks if they might be the thing of the past in couple of weeks time,CheersDom

Not to mention the fact that you'll have to back out all those tweaks in order to install SP1, which will be expecting a basically clean install. I'd definately wait until SP1 is released, install a fresh copy of FSX and then install SP1 on top of that. Then you'll be good to go to make any modifications you want.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Good point.Reading through relevant posts on SP it looks like the critical benefit will come for those using multicore PCs.Is there any hope for single core users, or is it the time to think about an upgrade (adding another processor)?CheersDom

I think the performance increase is across the board but the dual processor folks may see more of a benefit, at least that's the general idea I get. I'd wait and try out the SP on your current processor and see what others say about performance on dual core prior to investing in a new processor.Up to you though, seems the core2duo runs pre-sp1 FSX fairly well now, better than any other processor out there. (I have an e6600 and get good performance in non metropolis areas).Ian.

Guest kurtj

Does the SP1 only benefit performance issues or does it also fix bugs like the dawn/dusk night lights, and improve scenery?