Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Track IR 5 vs Tobii Eye Tracker 5 - Anyone tried both?

5 minutes ago, Donka said:

Large screens work fine. The issue may be distance if you are sitting further back from a tv for example. 

I tested it, On a 65 and 55. It doesn’t work. Worked perfect on a 38 cause you sit close to it. Track IR can be positioned  on the top, tobii can’t. 

Works great on 48 now (which I'd consider "large"). Positioned on the bottom, and it does have an adjustable peg to tilt up. 

I should add, anyone with mounts on top of joke/throttle is far far far better off with trackIR. Reason? They block the tobii scanner, whereas trackIR can be mounted at top or even side of monitor/tv. 

11 hours ago, Donka said:

So SU8 now fully supports Tobii. Full 6dof tracking and sensitivity settings. 

I wouldn't go that far - they've implemented setting and transation axis but the implementation is not good right now.

Things I've spotted so far -
The default camera position when the translation axis is turned on is far to high and back.
The Forward/Back translation only works at a certain distance from the screen and that distance decreases as you raise the movement sensitivity (at 0.5 movement is detected when my head is between about 1m and 0.5m from the sensitivity screen, at 0.75 sensitivity movement is only detected between about 0.5m and 0.3m and at 1.0 I need to be about 25cm from the screen)
Translation movement is applied in a fixed axis not relative to the position of the in-game camera, so Look 90 deg to the left out of window, if you then move head to the left, the camera moves left relative to the nose of the plane and out of the window. if you do the same thing with TrackIr the camera move left relative to the way you are looking so backward relative to the nose of the aircraft.

They can fix these issue but as always you do wonder if the people coding this even bothered trying it before sending it to us.

8 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

They can fix these issue

In particular if they are reported on the official forum or Zendesk, did you do that?

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

6 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

In particular if they are reported on the official forum or Zendesk, did you do that?

Reported in the official SU8 beta bug forum

• Like 1

Yup, all I'm saying is these have been added to the beta. This is now the opportunity to feedback and have it working as required although I am a little concerned it was implemented in this beta already as it should mirror how TrackIr works.

Unfortunately I need to avoid the beta for the time being as I'm beta testing some other products for MSFS so can't comment on the current implementation.

Edited by Donka
  • Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I'll put in a plug (unsolicited!) for an alternative, called the Delanclip. Similar concept to TrackIR, but it uses a PS3 camera with the IR filter removed to see the 3 lights on the head tracker. You can spring for the wireless version, which is usb-rechargeable. That version uses a 3d-printed shell so it's very light. You can get a head strap that you attach the clip to. Tracking is accomplished via the free Opentrack software. It will also work with TrackIR's software, but Opentrack does a better job.  I also have a TrackIR 5, and it never tracked as well as Opentrack does. Like others, I had problems with my glasses confusing it. That never happens with my current setup.

I bought the wireless clip and a pre-modified ps3 camera because I was too lazy to do it myself, plus the head strap, and I think I paid around 80 bucks for all of it. 

I thought I might necro this, I just bought the https://www.facebook.com/lukeclip/ lukeclip v2. It works as a wireless track clip pro. I was in the same boat about eye tracking because I got annoyed with the cable on my wireless headset from the track clip pro. I got this instead of the eye tracking, mounted it to the side of my headset which has a magnetic sideplate. Now I can take the emitter off for charging and everyday headset use and my track IR has seen quite a lot more use.

Edited by Deimos

For me it was Tobii eye tracker, because I could not get trackir working, because I’m sitting with a window in my back, it was just unable to track me properly and just randomly panned my view around because of the sun.I also tried the active version, but it was not irking either, then I tried tobii and it just works, without a stupid headthing and with a window and sun from behind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bam2000 said:

I could not get trackir working, because I’m sitting with a window in my back, it was just unable to track me properly and just randomly panned my view around because of the sun.I also tried the active version, but it was not irking either

User error, IoW.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

What I like about a device such as the trackir (when used with the led trackclip) is that the camera operates in passive mode.     Without the led trackclip the camera is an IR emitter.   I don't like the risk of potential damage over time that staring at IR can have on the eyes,  maybe it's not significant but I care.

One thing I really, really like about Tobii over TIR (other than never having to think about it) is that it seems as if my wife loves to turn on a bright light in the dining room or her desk behind me whenever I'm on final for landing.  With TIR it was always the same thing - my view would get instantly canted 45 degrees to the side and looking straight up, or something crazy, followed by me shaking my head, muttering and grinding my teeth and her saying "Is everything OK, honey?".   The Tobii is impervious and even now my hairiest landings cannot be defeated.  She's basically given up on the tactic. 😄

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

8 hours ago, MarkDH said:

User error, IoW.

Not necessarily. Maybe that's the only position in the room that is available or convenient for his setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muklum said:

Not necessarily. Maybe that's the only position in the room that is available or convenient for his setup.

@MarkDH

Exactly this. And on the other hand why is tobii eye tracking working in the exact same spot. Also saw Videos von @FilbertFlies where he has problems with trackir and the sun coming from the side, so seems to be a general problem with trackir. Not everyone is playing in an basement;)

Edited by Bam2000
  • Like 1