Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Problem with broadband. Anyone else ?

During the the last about 1-2 weeks I have encountered big problems with the broadband connection in MSFS. After starting MSFS I get a message saying my bandwidth is to low for MSFS. Or that the connection is lost and I am switched to offline mode.
When I called my broadband support she made a total reset of my modem. And also we run a speed check directly after encountering this problem. That test indicated no problem. Result 160 Mbit download speed.

Has anyone else experienced that the broadband connection with MSFS has problems like this lately ?

• Like 1

Been reported!

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

No message of this kind but I observed some low res ground imagery here and there. Might be holes in the cover but there were more than usual.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

You probably tried the Google maps replacement Mod for MSFS and it’s causing that issue. If so, you have to delete from your hosts file these two lines and it will solve the issue:

127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net 5
127.0.0.1 khstorelive.azureedge.net 4

Edited by johnnycaptain

Jonathon James

Lots of reports of that over on the official forums, think they have a big thread going on the issue. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I've written extensively about this problem and filed an official ZenDesk complaint.

I've used TCP traces, program code traces, and ethernet monitors to localize the issue.  

EVERY time I get either the "Connection Lost" message or the "Data Streaming Issues" message I can find a TCP disconnect (Reset bit in the TCP flag) request sent by flightsim.exe to the Azure/Bing server.   The server and my copy of flightsim then complete the 4-way disconnect as shown in the TCP trace.  Usually there is a Reconnect sequence that begins within seconds of the Reset but about 20% of the time flightsim.exe does not attempt to reconnect to the Azure/Bing server.  When that happens, I find Bing Data World Graphics is changed to OFF under flightsim General Options. 

The really annoying part of this problem is that flightsim.exe makes no attempt to return Bing Data World Graphics back to ON - even after it successfully reconnects to the Azure server. 

I find NO (Zero!) errors in any of the TCP traces and zero packet losses prior to flightsim.exe requesting the disconnect.

BUT - I do find a TCP request from flightsim.exe that requires over 0.75 seconds to complete within a few TCP transactions prior to the disconnect (Reset request).  There is only one or two slow TCP responses prior to each disconnect.  However, I find similar lengthy TCP responses from the Azure platform that DO NOT cause flightsim.exe to send a Reset command to the server.

AND, during the entire error sequence, my TCP load generator is receiving data from another server at a constant 340 to 440 Mb/second with low latency and ZERO errors/packet losses.  

I have provided these and more details to ZenDesk.

I have a 500 Mb/sec fiber connection and never see less than 340 Mb/sec under any circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

1 minute ago, johnnycaptain said:

You probably tried the Google maps replacement Mod for MSFS and it’s causing that issue. If so, you have to delete from your hosts file these two lines and it will solve the issue:

I have told you several times that I verified the hosts.ics file is set appropriately. 

I have also told you that when these low bandwidth, lost connections errors occur - I can see flightsim.exe requesting Bing tiles and receiving those tiles in a timely fashion.  

That means - flightsim is communicating successfully with the Azure/Bing server but is telling the user it is no able to get the data.  

If you like - I can post the TCP monitor trace showing successful communications WHILE flightsim.exe is telling me there is a problem. 

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

6 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

I have told you several times that I verified the hosts.ics file is set appropriately. 

I have also told you that when these low bandwidth, lost connections errors occur - I can see flightsim.exe requesting Bing tiles and receiving those tiles in a timely fashion.  

That means - flightsim is communicating successfully with the Azure/Bing server but is telling the user it is no able to get the data.  

If you like - I can post the TCP monitor trace showing successful communications WHILE flightsim.exe is telling me there is a problem. 

You told me? Did you make this thread? Did I reply to you? My message is posted before yours, the nerve of some people…..

Edited by johnnycaptain

Jonathon James

In another thread you participated in - you advice is correct and what you suggest needs to done to reset the internet connection BUT...

the problem described by the OP persists after following your excellent advice

And that is what I said in the other thread

You must be mistaken, no idea what you’re talking about, this is my first comment on Avsim in months

Edited by johnnycaptain

Jonathon James

23 minutes ago, johnnycaptain said:

You must be mistaken, no idea what you’re talking about, this is my first comment on Avsim in months

OK then - my apologizes!

I do hope other readers note that what you say is necessary but not sufficient to resolve the data lost problem.

1 hour ago, TacomaSailor said:

I've written extensively about this problem and filed an official ZenDesk complaint.

I've used TCP traces, program code traces, and ethernet monitors to localize the issue.  

EVERY time I get either the "Connection Lost" message or the "Data Streaming Issues" message I can find a TCP disconnect (Reset bit in the TCP flag) request sent by flightsim.exe to the Azure/Bing server.   The server and my copy of flightsim then complete the 4-way disconnect as shown in the TCP trace.  Usually there is a Reconnect sequence that begins within seconds of the Reset but about 20% of the time flightsim.exe does not attempt to reconnect to the Azure/Bing server.  When that happens, I find Bing Data World Graphics is changed to OFF under flightsim General Options. 

The really annoying part of this problem is that flightsim.exe makes no attempt to return Bing Data World Graphics back to ON - even after it successfully reconnects to the Azure server. 

I find NO (Zero!) errors in any of the TCP traces and zero packet losses prior to flightsim.exe requesting the disconnect.

BUT - I do find a TCP request from flightsim.exe that requires over 0.75 seconds to complete within a few TCP transactions prior to the disconnect (Reset request).  There is only one or two slow TCP responses prior to each disconnect.  However, I find similar lengthy TCP responses from the Azure platform that DO NOT cause flightsim.exe to send a Reset command to the server.

AND, during the entire error sequence, my TCP load generator is receiving data from another server at a constant 340 to 440 Mb/second with low latency and ZERO errors/packet losses.  

I have provided these and more details to ZenDesk.

I have a 500 Mb/sec fiber connection and never see less than 340 Mb/sec under any circumstances.

Nice sleuthing work!  Ive experienced this as well... especially lately about the Azure text to speech.  I've got 200 mpbs down and normally actually receive 150ish.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, johnnycaptain said:

It is true that I have tried the Google maps replacement Mod. What is this host file you are talking about. Name and where is it located ?

And I was under the impression that the Mod  does not change anything unless you have it running. I actually considered running it again and see if that worked better since it does not download Bing data.
Does this mean that this Mod is actually not working and really can't be used ?

12 minutes ago, jfri said:

It is true that I have tried the Google maps replacement Mod. What is this host file you are talking about. Name and where is it located ?

And I was under the impression that the Mod  does not change anything unless you have it running. I actually considered running it again and see if that worked better since it does not download Bing data.
Does this mean that this Mod is actually not working and really can't be used ?

Go to your "C" Drive, then,  Windows -> System32 -> drivers -> etc, then using notepad open the hosts file. Delete these two lines:

"127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net 5"     "127.0.0.1 khstorelive.azureedge.net 4",

Then save and close, and you should be up and running again.

Edited by johnnycaptain

Jonathon James

7 minutes ago, johnnycaptain said:

Go to your "C" Drive, then,  Windows -> System32 -> drivers -> etc, then using notepad open the hosts file. Delete these two lines 

"127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net 5"     "127.0.0.1 khstorelive.azureedge.net 4",

Then save and close, and you should be up and running again.

I find no file called hosts there ? Or what file do you mean ?