Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Problem with broadband. Anyone else ?

9 minutes ago, jfri said:

I find no file called hosts there ? Or what file do you mean ?

When using the Google Map replacement MOD, STOP must be pressed in the app when you are finished flying. The mod will then delete those two lines.  Run the mod again and click STOO.

If you have to do it manually, the hosts file is there but maybe you are not seeing system files?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

38 minutes ago, jfri said:

I find no file called hosts there ? Or what file do you mean ?

The file to open is Hosts.ics - normally Notepad defaults to only finding/opening files with a .txt extension.  You need to use the All Files (*.*) option in the Text Documents (*.txt) at the far right of the File Name: box

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

I just completed a 60-minute flight from KSAN out over the desert and back to KSAN using GoogleMaps replacement - NOT A Single data lost or data streaming error during the entire flight.   

I ran Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 the entire time and trapped every TCP event coming from or to flightsim.exe.  The timing of the events, the frequency of a slow response, the duration of the slow response was very similar to what I see when using Azure/Bing Data World graphics - yet flightsim.exe never generated an error or tried to turn off Bing Data World Graphics.

Just as I was lining up the on the ILS 09Z approach to KSAN - I got the screen box messaging saying flightsim encountered an error and is stopping and the program terminated.

The TCP monitor showed the error was caused by userpresence.xboxlive.com.akadns.net (52.138.119.101) sending a 0 byte message to flight sim port 54694 with a TCP flag of RESET - immediately upon receiving that message - Proc Mon shows flightsim.exe going into an error handling routine. 

The TCP transaction prior to xboxlive sending a RESET to flightsim.exe was a message from xboxlive with a PUSH TCP flag (forces the app to accept the data even if the buffer is not full/complete), which took more than 530 milliseconds to complete.  As far as I can see in the trace data - that was the only time xboxlive pushed data into flightsim.exe

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

45 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

When using the Google Map replacement MOD, STOP must be pressed in the app when you are finished flying. The mod will then delete those two lines.  Run the mod again and click STOO.

If you have to do it manually, the hosts file is there but maybe you are not seeing system files?

I just tried that MOD again. And then MSFS did not launch correctly. It hanged up during the load

That does happen to me occasionally and I see flightsim.exe reading a sound file over and over - I can't figure out what the sound file is used for but I just kill the sim and kill the googlemap replacement bat file. 

I then restart the bat file (always run as administrator), press Run, test the connection, and then start the sim again and it almost always loads the sim and runs fine.

24 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

The file to open is Hosts.ics - normally Notepad defaults to only finding/opening files with a .txt extension.  You need to use the All Files (*.*) option in the Text Documents (*.txt) at the far right of the File Name: box

I use Windows Explorer to search for the file. There are no file called Hosts.ics. What could that mean ?

54 minutes ago, jfri said:

I use Windows Explorer to search for the file. There are no file called Hosts.ics. What could that mean ?

My C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/Etc contains:

hosts (a file created by the GoogleMap mod)

hosts.ics (the required file-but my flightsim works fine without it)

5 hours ago, jfri said:

During the the last about 1-2 weeks I have encountered big problems with the broadband connection in MSFS. After starting MSFS I get a message saying my bandwidth is to low for MSFS. Or that the connection is lost and I am switched to offline mode.
When I called my broadband support she made a total reset of my modem. And also we run a speed check directly after encountering this problem. That test indicated no problem. Result 160 Mbit download speed.

Has anyone else experienced that the broadband connection with MSFS has problems like this lately ?

I know EXACTLY what this is..and what is causing it, and HOW to fix it...for it is NOT anything to do with your Cable or Broadband..it is that you tried Google Maps (you KNOW you did, lol, so don't deny it...lol!!!) and what that program does is to switch you to different servers, and as part of that program, it writes (I'll show you shortly) to a Windows Driver file (totally documented in the dev's pages...) that when you press STOP in the program screen,  it is supposed to as it is closing, AUTO WRITE/AUTO Delete the two server hijack lines in this file.  Sometimes it does not...so...you get filtered through this highjack server,  which cuts all performance to the Bing servers.  Now..what to do about this...and here it is...:

Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localh

Right here, below the last line of the normal file shown above,

#    ::1             localh

Delete the following two lines...by using Notepad++ staring it with Administrator rights:

127.0.0.1    kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net
127.0.0.1    khstorelive.azureedge.net

That will be a two line entry that MSFS will deflect to draw feed from the , Google server.  You need to REMOVE them, ..and then press save.  To do that, you need to open the address:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts   with Notepad++ as Administrator

Delete the last two lines, and them press SAVE in the Notepad++ drop menu.  Then, the next time you run MSFS, you will no longer have any problem and will not see the aforementioned warnings.

It is only that....that the Google Maps program did not delete those two lines it added when you ran the Command Window....and that is the reference to it saying RESTORED HOST. Sometimes, it does NOT, so you might want to open that file with Notepad++ using Admin rights, to check if those two lines are there or not. If there...merely delete them, and then press SAVE.  

Ta da......

Edited by Sesquashtoo

My TCP traces and ProcMon traces do not show any high jacking or any of the changes you suggest.

My host file does not contain any of the stuff you describe.

This is my host file while I am having trouble:

127.0.0.1    khstorelive.azureedge.net

Any line in host that begins with a # is a comment and thus not effective

10 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

My TCP traces and ProcMon traces do not show any high jacking or any of the changes you suggest.

My host file does not contain any of the stuff you describe.

This is my host file while I am having trouble:

127.0.0.1    khstorelive.azureedge.net

Any line in host that begins with a # is a comment and thus not effective

Delete those two...with Notepad ++ under Admin. Those are the target lines to delete and then save. You will be done...and back to normal. Those two lines are ONLY written in (added) by use of Google Maps app.  They are not part of your normal W10/11 install. The file that I show is the virgin W10 file, not written or modified by any other program.  Those two lines you are having trouble with...are ADDED by the Google Map App.  When pressing STOP and then closing the Command Window, they are supposed to be deleted as that program closes. In many cases, it has been noted that that fails to delete them...and then the next time you run MSFS,  they are still directing to those severs...and not to Bing.   Delete them...and you are back to as though you had never tried the Google Map App.   

Edited by Sesquashtoo

5 hours ago, jfri said:

Has anyone else experienced that the broadband connection with MSFS has problems like this lately ?

Yes... it is a server side problem.

Bert

Not tried this google hack yet, bit weary after reading all the posts about it killing the sim.  I think I'm going to stay away from that one!

Thomas Derbyshire

2 hours ago, jfri said:

I just tried that MOD again. And then MSFS did not launch correctly. It hanged up during the load

in that case, load up the mod after launching msfs.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Not tried this google hack yet, bit weary after reading all the posts about it killing the sim.  I think I'm going to stay away from that one!

The mod doesn't kill the sim if the instructions are followed.

1.  Run the mod then launch msfs
2.  when finished with msfs, press the STOP button in the app and then close msfs.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

The mod doesn't "kill the sim" no matter what. Worst case scenario it can cause - and only if instructions aren't followed - is to require you to take 30 seconds to delete two lines in a text editor and press ctril+s.

• Like 1

Andrew Crowley