Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Clouds at Ground Level in SU7

I've seen this issue mentioned peripherally in other threads. But I thought this problem deserves a thread of its own.

Have you experienced any instances of clouds at ground level since SU7? Personally, my home airport is almost 800 feet above sea level, and I start out every flight now in a fog of clouds so thick that I can't see the end of the runway ahead of me. These clouds at ground level only seem to be a problem when using Real World Weather. If I instead select "Few Clouds" or "Broken Clouds", etc. the clouds are injected into the sim at their proper altitudes.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Just now, David Mills said:

I've seen this issue mentioned peripherally in other threads. But I thought this problem deserves a thread of its own.

Have you experienced any instances of clouds at ground level since SU7? Personally, my home airport is almost 800 feet above sea level, and I start out every flight now in a fog of clouds so thick that I can't see the end of the runway ahead of me. These clouds at ground level only seem to be a problem when using Real World Weather. If I instead select "Few Clouds" or "Broken Clouds", etc. the clouds are injected into the sim at their proper altitudes.

Here is a picture I just posted on another thread. When I took off , at around 400 ft AGL I climbed out of this cloud to a clear sky. This was at LFRG

spacer.png

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Yes, it's a bug with cloud layers at wrong altitudes.

You can vote here so they can fix it: 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/are-cloud-bases-in-new-metar-system-in-agl-or-msl/473011

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Hi,

Yes, I pointed out yesterday in another thread that the clouds were very low when you selected Live Weather. 

I think it is a bug.

Regards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alvega said:

You can vote here so they can fix it: 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/are-cloud-bases-in-new-metar-system-in-agl-or-msl/473011

I am enroute now and no haze at all......

😀

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Same issue here. I’m in the Netherlands, so at sea level and every flight I tried here or in the countries around me has started in a cloud. Fog everywhere, but mo mention of it in the metar. Definitely not correct.

Jack

• Like 1

And i thought it is fog that moves over the ground. Had this in the morning at ESSA and i was really like wow…

• Like 1

Carsten U

In all of the flights I've done since the update, none of the destination cloud base/visibility has been correct.  In all cases, the fields in the RW were within acceptable IFR conditions, but the inappropriate haze, fog and much lower cloud bases in the sim (including all the way to the ground) ruined all of the flights for me.

I will give them kudos for finally nailing surface winds and having ATC actually respond with appropriate runway assignments.  And, the fog and haze is graphically much more realistic.  The problem is, the sim is now putting low vis and cloud bases where they don't exist.

• Like 2

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, David Mills said:

If I instead select "Few Clouds" or "Broken Clouds", etc. the clouds are injected into the sim at their proper altitudes.

Proper just by cloud type?  Are they at proper altitudes relative to any measure of actual weather in the area or region?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Alvega said:

It is a problem period!  How can clouds be at wrong altitudes if the Live Weather conditions reported are Clear.  Not talking about the MSFS Clear Skies setting.  Talking instead about this situation occurring when all Metars for airports within 200 miles are saying clear and 10 miles visibility.  Such as when I flew into KDAL (Dallas Love) early this afternoon.  Live weather was Clr few at 25,000, 20/11, 10 miles visibility.   I did not have the runway until 1 3/4 miles out.  That is not a wrong altitude issue.  There should have been no cloud layer.

This may be multiple issues.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere