So after a good life my Iris FFB Yoke just died on me...

I like at the Brunner but I have a hard time paying that much this time around, I've also read mixed feedback regarding MSFS.

So I am looking at the Redbird YK1 but leaning towards the virtualfly Yoko.  It seems to check all the boxes minus FFB.  Does anyone have any input/advice?  Sort of gutted right now, loved my Iris.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

13 hours ago, killthespam said:

What is the budget?

Try this Yokes - Precision Flight Controls (flypfc.com) but I would stay away from the jetliner column (that's what I have but the elevator pots are not so great). 

I was trying to keep it to around $1,000 the Yoko+ seems to tick most of my boxes primarily Hall Sensors and a Hat switch...  Would have loved another FFB but the Brunner feedback with MSFS seems a bit iffy.  I guess it uses simconnect which can cause issues.  

I forgot about PFC will give them a look but they are 2x the price of the Yoko+  

Thank you for the help!

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

@psolk, save your money and buy the Fulcrum One. https://fulcrumsim.com/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have upgraded from Honeycomb to Fulcrum, and finally to a Yoko+, and I'm a happy camper at last, the precision and smooth feeling this Yoke gives you when you fine tuning that approach with one hand is something I wish all flightsimulator enthusiasts get to experience.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

5 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I have upgraded from Honeycomb to Fulcrum, and finally to a Yoko+, and I'm a happy camper at last, the precision and smooth feeling this Yoke gives you when you fine tuning that approach with one hand is something I wish all flightsimulator enthusiasts get to experience.

Out of curiousity, what does the Yoko+ do better than the Fulcrum? Is the Yoko worth the price difference between the two?

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

The handle is so heavy that it weighs down the shaft so it rubbing against the bottom of the metal guide, on my example I have to push the handle slightly upwards when fine tuning in pitch to prevent it from chopping against the metal guide, it is a design flaw that is irritating when fine tuning at approach, but most of people does not think this is a problem, I can understand that if they come from using a Saitek or similar Yokes, but for me that have a Yoko it was unacceptable, a lighter handle would probably solve this issue, for now they recommend to use WD-40 on the shaft as a solution to the problem, but I'm sure Chris will come up with a solution for this, he is a great engineer and all new products have childhood diseases, and I'm sure it will be a killer Yoke when it is fully developed, but otherwise it is superbly good if you compare with most Yokes on the market, the build quality is superb, take into account that I am very pedantic and picky when it comes to things like this, and most people probably do not care that they may have to spray the shaft with a little WD-40 from time to time, you get very good quality for the money, and I would not say that it is worth investing in a Yoko if you need to save money to be able to afford to buy it, Yoko also have it's own drawbacks, and the price tag is the biggest one.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

+1 for the FulcrumSim yoke.

I haven't used a Yoko, so can't compare. However, when up against the entry-level yokes, it's an absolute dream. The Fulcrum yoke has transformed my flight simming experience without breaking the bank.
I can imagine that experiencing the problem as described by @Ixoye would be quite frustrating, yet I don't have the same issue (or maybe I'm just too uncultured to have noticed! 😅 )

Oh, and new alternative yoke 'handles' to the standard issue one are currently under development, if that sort of thing is of interest.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

12 hours ago, Ixoye said:

The handle is so heavy that it weighs down the shaft so it rubbing against the bottom of the metal guide, on my example I have to push the handle slightly upwards when fine tuning in pitch to prevent it from chopping against the metal guide, it is a design flaw that is irritating when fine tuning at approach, but most of people does not think this is a problem, I can understand that if they come from using a Saitek or similar Yokes, but for me that have a Yoko it was unacceptable, a lighter handle would probably solve this issue, for now they recommend to use WD-40 on the shaft as a solution to the problem, but I'm sure Chris will come up with a solution for this...

I first read this when I was practicing landings in P3D v5 with the Carenado PC12 this morning.

Having recently applied WD40 Dry PTFE spray to the shaft I tried lifting it ever so slightly to see if what you say applied in my situation.

The difference was minimal. Before applying the spray you could certainly feel a difference when lifting it slightly. But not now.

I also pushed the body of the yoke fully forward and then released it. Before applying the spray it sprang backwards, then forwards then backwards again before stopping. 3 movements.

After spraying I push it all the way forwards and release it. It moves back then forward then back and then forward before stopping. 4 movements.

It may not sound much different but believe me it is much better with reduced friction.

How many separate movements do you get with the much wider and more expensive Yoko using the same test?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, F737NG said:

+1 for the FulcrumSim yoke.

I haven't used a Yoko, so can't compare. However, when up against the entry-level yokes, it's an absolute dream. The Fulcrum yoke has transformed my flight simming experience without breaking the bank.
I can imagine that experiencing the problem as described by @Ixoye would be quite frustrating, yet I don't have the same issue (or maybe I'm just too uncultured to have noticed! 😅 )

Oh, and new alternative yoke 'handles' to the standard issue one are currently under development, if that sort of thing is of interest.

Fulcrum is a great yoke, it's just me that are pedantic and picky, I ordered it mostly because I was interested in trying it out as I like the shape of the handle, and that I'm a little crazy about new gadgets, my plan was to keep the one I liked best, and it became the Yoko, but it is still mostly a matter of taste really.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I first read this when I was practicing landings in P3D v5 with the Carenado PC12 this morning.

Having recently applied WD40 Dry PTFE spray to the shaft I tried lifting it ever so slightly to see if what you say applied in my situation.

The difference was minimal. Before applying the spray you could certainly feel a difference when lifting it slightly. But not now.

I also pushed the body of the yoke fully forward and then released it. Before applying the spray it sprang backwards, then forwards then backwards again before stopping. 3 movements.

After spraying I push it all the way forwards and release it. It moves back then forward then back and then forward before stopping. 4 movements.

It may not sound much different but believe me it is much better with reduced friction.

How many separate movements do you get with the much wider and more expensive Yoko using the same test?

WD40 is great for many things, and it lasts a long time too, we used it as universal lubricant at the industry I worked before I got retired, I don't think you need to lubricate the shaft more than 2-3 times a year at most , and a thin layer is good enough.

I think I refrain from releasing the yoke from full extension, it is a huge force that will be released when the Yoko are attached at strong rubber straps, there is no friction or play in the shaft on the Yoko at all as the shaft is firmly mounted on a mechanic which goes back and forth on rails inside the box.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ixoye said:

there is no friction or play in the shaft on the Yoko at all as the shaft is firmly mounted on a mechanic which goes back and forth on rails inside the box.

As already mentioned in a different thread- the Yoko has the pitch axis travel of 144 mm which is 30% less than the Fulcrum has. For the same length of travel the guys at VirtualFly would have to use some kind of front bearing, creating an additional friction point; so it's not an apple-to apple comparison. Besides, the Yoko's roll maximum deflection to each side is 60 degrees as opposed to 90 degrees that the Fulcrum offers; so they can't be compared 1:1.

Hey guys, apologies for the delays, had a loss in the family so last minute trip last week.  I did end up with the Yoko+  

Initial feedback is support is incredible, Hall Sensors are a huge step up from my Iris Designs yoke. I haven't done enough flying yet to really form a judgement but the one flight I did trimming it out on landing was by far the smoothest yoke experience I had yet.  Extremely precise! 

Fulcrumsim yoke was out of stock or that may have been an option as well.   

I grabbed a HoneyComb as well, just wanted to compare it to the Yoko+ and see what the difference was between a lower priced and mid-priced option.  Haven't gotten around to the comparison yet.

What I will say and I am really surprised honestly is how much I miss Force Feedback....  This may be in the end why I sell the Yoko+ and go with a Brunner.  I didn't think so but not "feeling" things in the sim really took a lot out of the experience for me.  I do believe I am going to end up going back to FFB.  

For now at least I have a Yoko+  When my Iris died (funeral is Wed this week) and I started looking around the fear of not even being able to get a yoke at all became very real... 

So with all that said, any experience with the Brunner?  I read specifically because it uses simconnect it has issues with MSFS but wasn't able to verify or I may have gone straight to the CLS Yoke right away...   @Ixoye you seem extremely knowledgeable, thank you, any feedback (no pun intended) on the Brunner? 

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

9 hours ago, psolk said:

@Ixoye any feedback (no pun intended) on the Brunner? 

Unfortunately not, but I'm as interested of it as you are, force feedback is definitely the future.

11 hours ago, psolk said:

When my Iris died (funeral is Wed this week)

I’m sorry to read that. My condolences.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather