Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Will X-Plane 12 feature shader based seasonal effects?

Hey,

Tried doing some searching but wasn't able to find anything on this particular topic. Really looking forward to X-Plane 12 but was wondering if they had implemented shader based seasonal changes, to go with their new trees? I'm thinking snow and dynamic coverage of terrain, colour changes etc. or is this a topic they have yet to discuss? 

Thanks

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

44 minutes ago, Greazer said:

I doubt it. Their coding model simply switches art assets based on date ranges. Shaders and procedural coding would be smarter, but no they don't do that.

I believe even Austin said it at some point, that he wanted to focus on doing the dynamic shader based approach. As I mentioned, I've seen their new trees but the ground underneath obviously has to follow for the effect to be complete.

Though I did watch the keynote again and it was actually confirmed, that dynamic snow coverage is in so that's great news. So essentially, all I could further hope for is shader based seasonal effects on the ground. That seems almost trivial compared to all the other stuff. 

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

I doubt it. Their coding model simply switches art assets based on date ranges. Shaders and procedural coding would be smarter, but no they don't do that.

You're wrong. They confirmed that XP12 will have shaders and procedural effects for seasons, rain, etc. 😍

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Just now, Murmur said:

You're wrong. They confirmed that XP12 will have shaders and procedural effects for seasons, rain, etc. 😍

It's only limited and to the airport boundaries.  Outside that it you won't see a change.

1 minute ago, Greazer said:

It's only limited and to the airport boundaries.  Outside that it you won't see a change.

Sorry, wrong again. Rewatch the announcement video on the YT official channel! 😎

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

4EyFTjw.png

6f5PGTJ.png

xxaIhmt.png

xKjWZEL.png

Just in case there is more than one person with less than a minute to dedicate to not being wrong.

https://developer.x-plane.com/2021/08/next-generation-trees-and-opengl/

Lastly, the wind animations: These are done dynamically on the GPU, although they are driven by parameters provided through the .for file and additional vertex attributes on the mesh. This makes it easy to make the trunk of the tree very stiff and resist bending, for example, while the leaves can freely flutter in the wind.

When we set out to create the next generation vegetation engine, we knew that we’d have to build a system that can handle millions of trees. While it’s still too early to give you anything in terms of hardware requirements, I can say that the system is definitely built to be able to cope with a lot of trees. This is possible because the new vegetation engine is designed to use very little CPU processing, and instead moves the majority of the work to the GPU.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

5 hours ago, Greazer said:

I will make you a deal: If this statement of yours - presented as a fact by you - proves to be wrong...will you promise to be gone from this forum forever and just go play that other game? Deal? Deal?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Janov said:

I will make you a deal: If this statement of yours - presented as a fact by you - proves to be wrong...will you promise to be gone from this forum forever and just go play that other game? Deal? Deal?

Seeing how often the "not possible, not necessary" gang has been proven wrong recently, some even having to excuse here publicly for the lies they tried to spread, wouldn't one expect them to play a more modest role for a few moments? Wouldn't one?

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Maybe you want to be in on the deal, rka? Please? 😅

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rka said:

Seeing how often the "not possible, not necessary" gang has been proven wrong recently, some even having to excuse here publicly for the lies they tried to spread, wouldn't one expect them to play a more modest role for a few moments? Wouldn't one?

Are you pointing out to me about the lies ? 

is your daily job here to instigate ?

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

10 minutes ago, Janov said:

Maybe you want to be in on the deal, rka? Please? 😅

Don't bother , they are sick and tired of MFS and keep browsing the XP forum to remove their frustration 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus