Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

Reverb G2 problem toggling out and back into VR mode

I had this problem before, where if I toggle out of VR during a flight and then attempt to do so back into VR to continue the flight, MSFS dumps VR completely and issues this message "The initialization of VR failed. Please check that Open XR is installed on your computer and your headset can use it."  Once this occurs, the only way to get back into VR mode is to exit MSFS and restart it.  This only happens once a flight has been initiated.  I've be able to avoid this problem by not using any features of the OpenXR tool, but with SU7 it happens every time regardless of the settings of the OpenXR tool, which BTW I cleanly removed from my computer a while ago.  So for now the workaround is once I start a flight in VR mode, don't toggle out of VR mode.  Not a big deal, but definitely something is not right.  Tried the latest nvidia driver to no avail.  Others have been reporting this problem for a while, and now it's my turn to do so.  I also have "windows mixed reality for steamVR" installed, and maybe there is something up with that, but I don't want to mess too deeply with stuff that works (well sort of), for in doing so sometimes you end up with nothing that works.  Anyone other Reverb G2 users having this happen?

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Fortunately for me, I don't have any issues going in and out of VR with the Reverb G2.  So its not happening to everyone. 

You mentioned Steam VR.  You should not be using Steam VR with the Reverb when it comes to MSFS.  MSFS will interface directly with Windows Mixed Reality. You Just need Open XR on your PC.  If that is the case, Just Launch Mixed Reality portal, that's it, Then MSFS.

I only use Steam VR when playing Steam VR games that don't support WMR directly.

If you are running both at the same time, maybe this is your issue. 

Edited by rickjake
added more info

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I only run WMR when running MSFS.  I only mentioned the steamVR stuff since it sinks hooks into the OpenXR layer when it installs.  I only use steamVR for IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and a few other steam VR games.

Edit: I see that you have a very similar build to mine, plus have steamVR installed without any issues...crud!  Maybe I will try a full purge of all OpenXR related software and start over.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Ok.

Are you using the Steam VR Runtime or the OpenXR Runtime?

The only strange thing I noticed on my system, is occasionally, when exiting VR, my framerates drop down to 1 or 2 FPS. If I go back into VR, its fine again. This only happens about 20 percent of the time, but I have not had it crash on me. If I close the Mixed Reality Portal, the Frame rate goes back to normal. Strange. 

Make sure you are running the latest firmware for your Reverb G2, Check the windows store to make sure you are running the latest version of OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality. There was an update a few days ago. 

Good luck. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Same here since SU7 update, before that it worked fine.

So far I have pinpointed it to Navigraph (the ingame panel). Do you use Navigraph?

I don't use navigragh.   Also, currently not using any freeware/community folder items.  I've had a few times that the in flight VR toggle worked properly in SU7, thinking that there may be a timing/timeout API level issue behind this problem.  BTW, I got my G2 a few weeks ago, it's the recently revised version.

Rod O.

13 hours ago, rickjake said:

You mentioned Steam VR.  You should not be using Steam VR with the Reverb when it comes to MSFS. 

FYI If you want top quality overlays then yes you should/can use SteamVR with the G2 like I do.

(I need to see if WMR has improved this area, maybe the upcoming update might help)

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I can confirm the exact same problem, but it exists since SU6 for me and I hoped that SU7 might eventually solve it. But no. I reported to Zendesk a couple of days ago, waiting for an answer.

4 hours ago, MarcG said:

FYI If you want top quality overlays then yes you should/can use SteamVR with the G2 like I do.

(I need to see if WMR has improved this area, maybe the upcoming update might help)

If it works for you, then great. 

Rick Verhallen

intermittent for me. Since su6, sometiimes I can run whole sessions in and out of VR without problem. Othertime, same error message. I havent find what differ between sessions that can explain the behavior.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I too have (hopefully had), this issue.

Its only coincidence that this has been happening since SU7. It so happens that openXr or developer tools was updated the same day that SU7 was released. Prior to the Xr update I couldn't use "latest preview openXr runtime" because this error would occur. I gather that the then 'latest preview' is now the 'normal runtime'. hence I could not enjoy MSFS in Vr anymore.

After hours of driver and setting changes, I finally stumbled on something that worked for me.

I changed the 'OpenXr Developer Tools', to run with administrator privilages. 

I am now able to toggle in and out of Vr. The problem I now have, is that toggling to 2d is useless, as the stutters and low frames are so bad, MSFS is unusable....Till I close 'Mixed Reality Portal'. Then 2d will work perfectly.

This convoluted work around is the only way I have found to enjoy MSFS in Vr. 

I wish there was some way to roll back to the previous ver. of OpenXr Developer Tools.

So for me to get to 2d mode: toggle 2d mode. then close Mixed reality portal.

Edited by Romeo_Tango

Robin

I suggest you update to the latest OpenXR runtime 109.2111.18007.0 It seems to have solved the problem for me.

I am content to stay on OpenXR runtime 107.2109.10010 for the moment as I can switch 2D <--> VR at will. (as long as I don't use DX12 beta).

The DX12 was DOA. I got a CTD every time I switched back to 2D.

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2