Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The three things I like already with the DX12 Beta...

1.  Water (ocean, lakes, rivers, streams) colors totally different depending on the depth and angle of the sun

2. Sky colors...more intense and not washed out, even in haze conditions.

3. Terrain...the best rendering so far of natural color, (shaders!) and even better running MSFS-G. I see the difference clearly between the shaders of DX11 and DX 12 Beta.

I also picked up in most places an extra 1 or 2 FPS, but nothing below my normal 29/30 floor.

Heading up the west Michigan coast near Manistee...

DX12

Screenshot-287.png

Screenshot-288.png

Screenshot-289.png

Screenshot-290.png

Screenshot-291.png

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 7

Looks very good 👍

As I use 3090 cards I will try DX12 too and hope for good fps with improved views.

• Like 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Looks very good 👍

As I use 3090 cards I will try DX12 too and hope for good fps with improved views.

Those shots taken with an older 4 core CPU and a GTX1070 (8GB) non Ti

DX12 really shines along coastlines where water depth, and reflection upon the surfaces, with much better shadow shading...really like it...so, I'm going to be a DX12 Beta groupie.  Whatever they improve, I expect will totally enhance from now on! Overland, much better foliage shading as well as earth-colors...mud, dirt, farm fields...actually the whole visual enchilada.  I'm in....

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

1.  Water (ocean, lakes, rivers, streams) colors totally different depending on the depth and angle of the sun

2. Sky colors...more intense and not washed out, even in haze conditions.

3. Terrain...the best rendering so far of natural color, (shaders!) and even better running MSFS-G. I see the difference clearly between the shaders of DX11 and DX 12 Beta.

Are you serious? There is no documented difference between DX11 and DX12 wrapper, no additional rendering features... 

Can you post screenshots of the differences you see between DX11 and 12?

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Cars are running faster with DX12, and trees have more leaves.

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

25 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Are you serious? There is no documented difference between DX11 and DX12 wrapper, no additional rendering features... 

Can you post screenshots of the differences you see between DX11 and 12?

They won't come across in a screenie...but on my live real-time monitor feed...it does.  So, the user either has to see a difference, on their monitor, or not.  Yes, I posted a DX12 screenie, but truly, if someone can see a difference, great. If not...no cost to look.

DX12 will have different shaders, the same as they do in P3D.  

Nobody needs to use the new feature,  but I certainly will continue to do so.

Post Edit: Here are some DX11's from my system:  The colors on the terrain, are less defined and muted running DX11.

Screenshot-126.png

Screenshot-127.png

Screenshot-128.png

Screenshot-129.png

Screenshot-130.png

Screenshot-266.png

Screenshot-267.png

Screenshot-268.png

Screenshot-269.png

Screenshot-270.png

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 2

Is there a MSFS shader cache which has to be deleted from time to time?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

That, I have no idea...but simply am enjoying enabling the feature and what I see as a difference in visuals.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nemo said:

You can delete all DX shaders from disk cleanup:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

You're might be imagining this difference here. Whilst the upgrade from DX10 to DX11 added new features such as tesselation which had a definite graphical upgrade, there is no such difference between 11 and 12. It simply gives the developers more fine grained control over rendering methods.

There would be very little point adapting the shaders between the two. Graphically speaking the DX11 shaders are capable of everything the DX12 shaders are, and there would be no benefit at all to maintaining two sets, in terms of development.

You can see this confirmed here too:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/update-dx12-coming-to-pc-soon-old-post-dx12-is-not-coming-to-pc-on-july-27-xbox-will-get-dx12-first-then-pc-later/414481/357

Perhaps down the line we'll see new features as DX12 advances in MSFS, but right now they're identical, in terms of what you see on the screen.

Edited by Bigbluss
  • Like 7

I tend to be in the sceptic camp and see a placebo effect. But I  also note that the SHADERSPAK.c66c2d90.W7DX11.PAK  at \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Shaders  is dated 11/18/2021 like if it was a new version. They may have done some corrections. But I don't see a DX12 pack

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I can confirm the shader colour difference, much more natural. And yes, it is not placebo.

Because of this difference in shading I am also running DX12 exclusively.

• Like 1

Hi Sesquashtoo

I am running the same GTX1070 8GB card and quite similar system but stayed on Dx11.

What dirvers are you using?

Best regards

Ernst

Visual differences should be easy to be captured in comparative screenshots.

Otherwise it's all a placebo. As far as i know the biggest improvement DX12 would bring is easing the load on the CPU (just like Vulkan does)

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."