Sign in to follow this  
jeffhunter

default 747 takeoff

Guest enigmamcmxc3

I've been trying to take off from princess juliana airport at st maarten in the default 747, and for some odd reason I just cant get it to take off. I've tried everything, all the flap settings, removing weight from the plane and I still cant get it fast enough to rotate in time. Am I doing something wrong? I know that real 747's take off from there since i've seen many photo's of them landing there. I think another issue is that the 747 & 737 dont have enough power, compared to the a321 which feels like it should on take off. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this 747 off the ground?

How much fuel do you have on your 747?I find the A321 accelerates way too fast on takeoff.

Guest enigmamcmxc3

In reply to both, the plane is fully loaded with fuel, making a trip taking off from juliana and flying to cox international in dayton. I could probably spare removing some fuel, and I'm not using a joystick, a bad as it sound Im using the mouse to fly.

>In reply to both, the plane is fully loaded with fuel, making>a trip taking off from juliana and flying to cox international>in dayton. I could probably spare removing some fuel, and I'm>not using a joystick, a bad as it sound Im using the mouse to>fly.enigmamcmxc3, more than likely you will only need 100% on the left and right tanks only and 0% on all others for that flight.BTW, I too am not a joystick pilot, I use the keyboard ;-)

Just to let you know, I have no problem getting off the ground in the 747 with proper flaps settings.I just read that you are using a mouse, maybe that is the culprit, and another guy a keyboard...man I can't help wondering how you can cope with that. They do have "bargain" bin sticks that would make the experience much more or at least somewhat more immersive. I thought I was rare because I don't have a yoke... :)to each his/her own...but a keyboard....yeesh.Danon O.

Guest enigmamcmxc3

Cool, yeah I probably need to start appropriating the right amount of fuel for the trip, instead of just always staying topped off. Thats probably what they do in real life i'd imagine. I eventually will get a control yoke, I have one but its the old style connector that went into the soundcard. I've put probably 1000 into the computer (Just for FSX!) I guess i did'nt budget for a yoke haha. But I actually enjoy the mouse the only bad thing about it is going back forth between the clickable mouse and the control mouse. I wish I could find or make a quick key that i could switch back and forth between the two without having to right click.

Guest enigmamcmxc3

also another question, if anyone reads it. If I fuel my plane using the estimated fuel burn on the flight plan, how much spare reserve fuel should I put in just in case I get stuck in traffic at the destination airport? Or get stuck in a strong headwind during the trip.

As somebody has said, you probably have too much fuel.You should leave the centre tanks empty. Also check your elevator trim is centred.Flying the big iron with a mouse or keyboard is probably more difficult than flying the real aircraft LOL. I think you can get away with it in a Cessna or slower moving aircraft,but jet aircraft move much more quickly, so consequently, things happen faster.I would try to get a joystick.Even a cheap one only costs about 25 bucks. Good luck!!!Ron

Ron Service

Danon, after 15 years of using FSim, I've been considering getting a joystick for my FSX but I use Vista and I have not yet found a joystick that is certified for both Vista and FSX...I'm not much of a tweaker, I prefer things that run (well) out of the box.Also, I don't want to spend more than $90 on a joystick, are there any good sticks for FSX and Vista for under $90?Best regardsKerke

If you have a more recent PC, most joysticks use USB interface, and even if they are not yet certified for Vista, I would imagine they should still work.There should be plenty of joysticks available for less than $90.Regarding fuel planning, there are some freeware fuel planners available on this site's library or at Flightsim.com.Many of the payware aircraft have incorporated fuel planners,but you may not want to go that route yet. Flying the big iron requires more flight planning because of gross weight,maximum takeoff weight, maximum landing weight, airport altitudes,weather conditions. Its another learning curve.Ron

Ron Service

Guest FLMach1

I've noticed that when you are using the keyboard to fly a jet, you really have to lay hard on the 2 key. Alot more than the GA planes. Once you get it off the ground you have to give it alot of 8 key to fly normally. Once you have leveled out it's more normal.

Guest garwig2

>If I fuel my>plane using the estimated fuel burn on the flight plan, how>much spare reserve fuel should I put in just in case I get>stuck in traffic at the destination airport? Or get stuck in>a strong headwind during the trip.First, do not use the estimate on the flight planner, it does a poor job. If you must, use at least twice what the flight planner estimates, then add your reserve on top of that.But, I do have some better info that will help you. Based on several test flights using my settings I've come up with the following fuel burn figures. These figures are based on a standard day, taking off/landing at sea level with max weight:Climb to FL 350: 18,500 lbsCruise at Mach .84, FL350: 30,890 lbs per hour (True airspeed: 488 kts)Descent from FL 350: 10,920 lbsFor any trip, you will want at least enough fuel to climb, enough fuel for the number of hours you will be in the cruise phase, fuel for descent, fuel to climb again (in case you can't make the landing due to visibility), fuel for the cruise to your alternate airport, fuel to descend again, *and* add 45 minutes of cruise fuel for your reserve (23,170 lbs with my figures).To answer your question about headwinds, in the real world you would get a winds aloft forecast. When you figure out how much fuel you need for the cruise you need to factor in the wind forecast. So, using my figures, if the forecast said expect calm winds then you figure out the duration of your cruise based on 488 knots per hour. But, if the forecast is for a 50 kt headwind then you figure out your cruise fuel based on 438 knots per hour. If you use real-world weather in the Sim then you need to find a wind forecast on the internet for the area you will be flying in. For the U.S., http://adds.aviationweather.gov/ is a good place to start.What if the winds are stronger than forecast? The conservative figures I used above will give you a little breathing room, but you should calculate how much fuel you should have left at each checkpoint. If you get to a checkpoint and you have less fuel than you planned you might reduce power to conserve fuel, or add a fuel stop to your trip, or look for more favorable winds to fly in by changing your route or altitude.-Gary Letona

Guest fsxmissionguy

I've tried many, many joysticks over the years. Let me say this: If you're willing to spend $90.00, then you should spend a little more and get the Saitek X52.I can safely say that you will not regret it for one moment (I put off getting this stick for years, and regret that I have come to it only just now.)If you also fly helicopters, you will surely not regret it as it comes a lot closer to the actual experience you'd get in a helicopter (I presume, having never actually flown anything except a 727).If you just cannot do that, I'd recommend whatever is the top end Logitech Wingman force feedback joystick (you won't feel forces in FSX, but you will in Need For Speed!)Cheers

I've got a Saitek Evo that was well under $AUD100 (a quick search shows that the f-f version can be got in the US for less than $USD70). It worked perfectly with Vista 32-bit straight out of the box. Even my trusty old MS f-f sidewinder USB works in vista with no worries!regards,Jeff

Jeff Hunter