Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stoopy

Been watching "Dogfights" and am gonna say it.....ACES?

Guest Bottle

Did no one notice in the blog that officially announced the Adrenaline expansion pack the two comments about "combat"????!!!!I don't have the link here, but the blog said thet they felt they couldn't do "combat" justice in the short timeframe, so they went for the Adrenaline concept instead. However, what they have developed for Adrenaline will be usefull for "combat" in the future.If that wasn't a clear statement that MS is working on a combat aspect for the FSX engine, I don't know what is!However, having been spoiled by the IL2 line of combat sims for so long and completely turned off by the CFS line, I can't say I have any high hopes for the simulation integrety of anything MS produces.

Guest PARADISE

This may have already been said, but there are some very good combat sims out there for Xbox and/or Playstation.John M

Guest spiffy_scimitar

I take it, John, that you're joking. The closest thing would be what, Crimson Skies? And even that was dumbed down for consoles. I think the biggest problem for an MSFSX-based combat sim would be frame rates.. although I can accept slower performace for just ambling about the sky, a combat sim (especially for WW2 themes) needs to be liquid smooth or you'll be dogmeat. Stutters will get you killed, when your enemy flashes across your sights and you have a half second window to pump lead into him, or to flit away from someone who has you in his sights.

Guest Captain Behrentzs

To add combat possibility to FSX would really be amazing!!! Think, you are flying in 42000ft with a B747 and suddenly 2 "wingmen" join you to check you before you enter the countries borders! Or you could be a spy plane, and suddenly some F-16's pull up to you and destroy you!!Or to have a sunday evening fight with the friends before bed time???That would be amazing, truely amazing!!!!Great topic, ---------------------------------------Kasper BehrentzsDenmarkhttp://images-032.cdn.piczo.com/p1/img/i226212866_24643.jpgwww.xflightx.co.nr[b/]

Could a "mission" be created for this? There seem to be many options available for mission builders. I believe development in this area is one of the most exciting features of FSX. Just my thoughts....

Guest Stoopy

Well, to be honest I was wondering if this wasn't suggesting that to wish for air combat capability is in the same league as playing arcade games...or placing air combat simming into the same realm as first-person shooters. Hopefully that's not the case, because it would miss the whole point.Lest we forget, a true air combat sim should involve just as much serious aviating demands as a civilian sim, just as in real life. Robin Olds, Eddie Rickenbacker, Tex Hill, Tommy McGuire, and Erich Hartmann were celebrated combat pilots, sure, but they were experienced pilots first and foremost and all had to taxi, take off, navigate through foul weather or low light conditions, plot intercepts, then come home and land safely in one piece too. I wouldn't suggest to any of them that their accomplishments were arcade-like. There are a few comments above about the IL2 series and I agree that it's very good (although other facets of the sim make it clear it's not my own cup o'tea) and one of the VERY attractive points about it in my experience was entering an online room, choosing a home base and an aircraft, and spawning in the parked aircraft just as you would in FS9/FSX. Then, from engine startup sequence to final landing, one engagement is an entire round-trip flight if you do everything right. Flying a carrier mission in an SBD Dauntless is more like a pleasant FS9/FSX flight most of the time, watching the sea go by and navigating along - with the interesting facet of a little extra challenging activity along the journey and the challenge of landing, perhaps with damage, back on a carrier. Can't find that on any Playstation as far as I know.....but we do have all the seven seas, carriers, and some mighty fine aircraft already created for our sim...it just seems that we're sooo close....and yet so far away.