Sign in to follow this  
posixPilot

GNS530, garbled display, Windows 11 + Intel GPU

Hi,

I'm installing RXP GNS530 for the first time and having a bit of trouble getting the 530 integrated into the default Laminar C172.  After installing RXP GNS530 into X-Plane, I'm able to open a popup window version of the display and it appears to work (albeit, the 530 runs very slow like others have reported under Windows 11).  I followed the HOWTO for the Barron on how to integrate the display into the panel.  After editing the .ini file and setting frame.rect = to the values I calculated, I could never get the display to show up on my 172 panel.

After troubleshooting quite a bit, I found that if I changed frame.type from PANEL3D to PANELS, the 530 would show up in my panel.  However, the display appears jumbled as if it is overlaid on top of native 530 display.  To see what I mean, take a look at the screenshot here .

Anyone have any recommendations for me?  The display might be misaligned by a pixel or two, but I'm not sure that would cause this issue.  Any idea why the panel doesn't show with frame.type = PANEL3D ?

5d6JOwr.png

Thanks

Mike

Edited by RXP

Hi,

Can you please share your RealityXP.GNS.ini file so that I can try to repro and compare?

Is this with XP11 in VK or OGL mode?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for taking a look.  I've posted my .ini file below and I'm using Vulkan.

Thanks

Mike

[GNS]
; comma separated list of gauges
gauges = GNS_530_1

[GNS_530_1]
; comma separated list of render targets.
drawto = Garmin_530_Screen, WINDOW
; is the master device if true.
MasterDevice = true 
; connects to: 'PFC_STACK','PFC_430','PFC_530' or any '#PID' (#D002 for PFC_430)
; no value connects to first found, 'OFF' disables connection.
HardwareDevice = OFF
; hardware selector number or -1 to disable.
HardwareIdx = -1
Rheostat.Buttons = 0
LinkVor = true 
UseSimGpsCmds = true 

[GNS_530_1.Garmin_530_Screen]
; display window if true.
visible = true 
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true 
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = PANELS
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 0,1024,522,384
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false (use SHIFT to override)
usemouse = true 
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true.
popleft = true 
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires XP11.1).
popright = true 

[GNS_530_1.WINDOW]
; display window if true.
visible = true 
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = false
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = WINDOW
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 166,533,460,335
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false (use SHIFT to override)
usemouse = true 
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true.
popleft = false
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires XP11.1).
popright = false
; VR mode position and dimension (left,top,width,height) (requires XP11.20)
vrmode.rect = 0,178.5,245,178.5
; display as popout window if true (requires XP11.1).
undocked = false
; display mouse tooltips if true.
tooltips = false
; freeze display position if true.
locked = false
; auto hide in external view if true.
autohide = false

I've just tried out and I can't repro (see below) ?!

Are you using the default C172 or a modded one?

Screenshot_2021-11-23_114300_s.jpg

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hi Jean-Luc,

I'm using the default 172 under Laminar/Cessna 172SP.  I can reliably reproduce the problem.  Based on your question about Vulkan, I tested turning off Vulkan and the display looks normal under OpenGL, so it must be related to Vulcan somehow.  This is a new install of Windows 11 and X-Plane, so I've not installed any add-on planes and the RXP plug-in is the first/only plug-in I have.  I'm on X-Plane 11.55 running under Steam, in case that is relevant.  Windows 11 22000.318

Thanks

Mike

I've tested on Win10 with latest NVidia 496.84 (with the hotfix) and I can't repro. I've also tried different combinations of XP11 Visual Effects and Antialising settings and can't repro either.

From the look of it, it is has if all black pixels are treated as transparent. This must be related to your VK driver and/or Win11 somehow (otherwise I'd bet there would be more reports in the forum) ?!?!

NB: Steam shouldn't be a factor IMHO.

NB: PANELS is rendering in both PANEL2D and PANEL3D cases. The logic is using "sim/graphics/view/view_type" with 1026 for PANEL3D, and other value for PANEL2D. I've also tested PANEL3D and PANELS and both are working.

Edited by RXP

Thanks for looking at this with me.  I'm using the Intel integrated graphics on CPU, so I don't have a separate GPU.  I know I'll likely need a GPU for reasonable performance, but that's not an immediate goal for my build.  I wanted to mention the lack of a separate GPU in case that might be relevant.  It's also why I'd prefer to use Vulkan since my FPS is low to start with; my workaround right now is to turn off Vulkan.

On another note, I've installed the Real Sim Gear G5 instrument and I'm having nearly an identical problem, so I'm checking with their support too.  I captured a screenshot with the G5/GNS side by side here .  This is, of course, using their modified 172 aircraft.

I had the same thought on the transparency of the black pixels, but I think it is more than that.  It's like the borders for the objects behind the display are showing through the black.

Thanks

Mike

[RXP edit: at your hosting image site, click the image to popup zoom, then right click and choose "Open image in new tab", then copy/paste the URL in your message to embed the screenshot directly!]

2EJVvgK.png

Edited by RXP

Thank you for the close up screenshot and the explanation, it makes it clearer!

I can see the same graphical glitch on the G5 indeed and this is most likely a bug with Intel integrated graphics drivers.

Hi Jean-Luc,

I think you are correct, regarding the graphics drivers.  I'm moving my setup from a Mac to Windows, so I was expecting Vulkan to work with my Intel graphics on Windows like it does on Mac.  However, I found a footnote on the X-Plane website indicating that Windows + Intel + Vulkan is incompatible.  As a result, I'll just need to run in OpenGL until I have a separate GPU.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting this and trying to reproduce it!  I'll try to remember to follow up once I have a GPU to test with.

Thanks

Mike