Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

MP3 player for FSX?

I run FSX on Vista Home Premium 32 bits. Although it runs quit well, I'm having big problems whenever I go to a menu or switch to another program. FS X temporarily freezes and sometimes it locks up completely. Now I've gotten used to not doing any of those things anymore while flying: quit simple. But lately I've been doing a lot of longer flights and I like to have some music in the background. So... I though about running iTunes in the background.This does work, however if I need to change the volume of the music, or choose some other songs, I have to get back to iTunes and my computer doesn't like that at all...So I suddenly wondered if there maybe was a plugin/addon that gives you an mp3player in the cockpit! So you can change music and volume and whatever without leaving FSX, right there in the VC!Anyone ever heard of such a program...?

Never heard of one but that would not be a bad idea :)Those long flights get quite boring!

Hello,I don't know if you already knew this or not but, if you unplug your speakers jack (not the power cord) and plug it into an MP3 player's jack (The MP3 player must be on)then you can listen to music without hurting your PC's performance. The only problem is you can't hear the FSX sounds.

Thx for the tip. ;) But I don't want to miss the FSX sounds!The most simple and most logical solution (before anyone comes up with the idea ;) ) is of course to use a REAL mp3-player...! Slight problem for me is that I ALWAYS fly with headphones on, so I have to use my mp3-earphones and put my headphone on top of it. Not too convenient. And it muffles the sound of FSX too much. Besides that I have my computer on the attic and my mp3-player in the living room and I always forget to take it with me. Yes, I'm too lazy to go down again and get it... ;) Still, the idea of having an mp3-player-interface within the VC sounds cool to me! Specially if it can be DIRECTLY linked to all my mp3's on the computer without having to run iTunes or anything similar in the background! Just like you can in Test Drive Unlimited (although it doesn't work that well in that game...).

I definitely remember there being "MP3 Radio" freeware FS2004 addon gauges for cockpits that you could install into your airplanes - how they worked and how feature packed they were I don't know. I think as time goes on, you'll notice more things like this for FSX. I'd love to have WinAMP's interface humming along nicely in the dash of a VC - that'd be pretty cool. :) -GG

Guest weeniemcween

Search for radiocd4.zip in the avsim library. It works for me in fsx, although I have to go into windowed mode to set up the songs. Don't know if that's a problem for you, but try it. Looks good as a pop up or in the vc. Remember to read the readme of course.

Guest jshyluk

You can try the shareware FSXPilot by Scientific Networks. Although FSPilot is primarily a universal autopilot, it has a function to play any user-created audio cue, including .MP3's.I wrote a review on it published by Avsim November 17, 2006, which you can read here:http://www.avsim.com/pages/1106/FSPilot/FSPilot.htmYou can go to the FSXPilot website and download a copy which you can try for free for 30 days here:http://www.fsxpilot.com/FSXPilot may or may not be what you are looking for, but it is a lot of fun to play with, has many useful user-configurable features, and Scientific Networks has tremendous product support if you have any questions or ideas about what you would like to see in future versions of the product. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Yes, that one looks cool! I'll give it a try this evening! :)

Just use one of those Vista "Audio Gadgets" (iTunes, WinAmp) for the sidebar and run FSX in Windowed Mode. That way you have it all on your finger tips.Pat

Guest evanstl

If you do a search for FDSFX you'll find a program that lets you configure in-flight announcements from the pilot and flight attendants. There are various downloads for different airlines for the 21 switchs that can be programmed from the cockpit without leaving FS9 or FSX. As long as it's a mp3 file it will play irrespective of the sim sounds. Don't know if this will help you, but it goes along way to add environment to the flight.Terry

Well, radiocd4.zip is nice, but it's a pity you can only put one song under each channelnumber... First of all this means you can't play more than 12 songs and secondly, you have to manually change channels to go to the next song, otherwise the same song is repeated over and over again...Now I do have mp3's of complete LP-sides of all the Beatles LP's, so that helps ;), but apart from that you can't accelerate time or anything, it sometimes happens the mp3 is reset to the beginning when I open the radio, which means I have to listen to the same LP-side all over again... Also the Pausebutton doesn't pause the mp3 but stops it, after which you have to start it all over again.Well, it IS nice (and free) and it's getting close to what I want, but it's not perfect yet... ;)

Guest EdrickV

Since FSX is apparently still able to use HTML files in the kneeboard, some of the FS2004 kneeboard replacements might still work, though the location of the kneeboard keys HTML file has changed to the FSXUires folder. I modified a kneeboard DVD player one that uses WMP to load an m3u playlist instead. It does mean leaving the kneeboard up in FS9. Haven't tried it to see if it works in FSX."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Interesting... Could you give it a try in FSX and upload whatever I need to get it done somewhere...?

Guest EdrickV

I haven't been flying lately so haven't tried it out but here's a zipped up copy of the html file I use:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/170204.zipIn addition to that I have a .m3u file in the same folder called music.m3u which would be the playlist. (In my case it just contains the full path of another playlist that's stored elsewhere.) It's stll got some of the code from the DVD player stuff in there, I just did a few changes to make it load a .m3u file and get rid of the video area. (The .m3u file is basically a text file. The ones I use just have 1 file per line, WMP and other media players put more info into them then that.)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."