Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

whats the future of flight sim?

>Download the Valle D'Aosta by Fulvio Mazzokan or purchase>Megascenery Hawaii and then imagine a whole world depicted>like this.>If those are photosceneries you are referring to (I don't know if they are or not), then I am against that direction...unless......unless...the limitations of photoscenery (lighting, weather, season) can be somehow overcome.I think they probably can be.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think in 10 years it will be beter, but conceptually about the same as it is now...more advanced gfx and features, but essentially the same.Outside of the obvious things, FS is still conceptually the same as FS5.1 that I was using 10 years ago.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Adrian Wainer

just six possabilities off the top of my head 1 AI flight instructors 2 AI flight crew 3 Full major city Photorealistic scenery4 Historic flight modeling with CGI and fleshware actors 5 Aircraft fault cascade sequencing6 Intergration of MS Flight sim and MS Train simBest and Warm RegardsAdrian Wainer

> Actually, not much has really changed since 1977. Just look>around!How true...the thing I'm looking forward the most, right now, it's the free Genesis reunion concert that will take place in Rome, this July...:)

Guest freff

With Microsoft at the helm I wouldn't expect too much. We'll still have choppy frame rates, poor AI & ATC, poor use of existing hardware and graphics engines & flight models that have exceeded their "time before overhaul" years ago. We won't have streaming high resolution photo-real scenery either. But we will have lots of excuses why we can't have those things even in spite of the tech demonstations that hackers at home have put together demonstrating that some of these things are possible. In the realm of X-plane however, I think that the horizon is somewhat brighter.

>OK I'll play! My predictions:>>- We will have wrap-around LCD sunglass with a wireless>connection to the video card, much like a Matrox TripleHead 2>Go system you wear on your head. Track IR movement will have>to be integrated with a special neck collar much like the one>worn by Spock, Captain Kirk, Lt. Uhura and Dr. McCoy in that>Star Trek episode where they went to an alien planet and were>forced to fight each other with those weird sticks (and had>that green-skinned alien babe with the large headlamps that>Kirk was seducin'). >>- Aftermarket olfactory and temperature control will follow in>the form of new peripherals that produce odorifics and>heat/cold application to the user. Flying in an open-wing>Curtiss Jenny biplane will result in smelling the castor oil>leaking from the engine, and blasting cold air in the face. >P-38 and B-17 sim pilots will risk suffering frostbite in>their feet and hands. As for sharing a closed cockpit with a>friend online, well let's just say that's gonna be a roll of>the dice as to pleasantness...choose your flying partners>carefully. ;)>>- The Moller Skycar will STILL be a prototype-only, and the>simulated version will be the only one really capable of>flight.>>- Rain effects on the windshield will return, but We'll be>agonizing if the splattered bugs look realistic or not. >Radial-engine aircraft will realistically and visibly drip oil>when parked on the ramp, and this will be a hotly-contested>feature since many will argue that despite the frame rate>impact, it's the best way to tell if the engine is out of oil>or not. >>- Autogen will continue to grow in sophistication to the>extent that we'll have 3D skateboards laying in driveways that>will have their own damage modeling when run over by AI>traffic. Water effects will be improved such that the waves>are generated in 3D following the Schrodinger equation...the>realization that these will be actually "surfable" will lead>to frenzied freeware/payware development of surfboards,>woodies, and missions involving Gidget. >Sounds cool :) Wish your dreams come true :)

20 years down the road I predict that there will be no current version of Flight Simulator as we know it today. The franchise will have run its course and only us diehards will be utilizing prior dedicated versions of the sim.In the 20 years that I've been simming, the largest leap has been in graphic realism and you can only get as real as photo-realistic, which we are only 2 or 3 versions away from having now, 10 years in a worse case scenario.The second biggest leap in 20 years has been in aircraft complexity and functionality. Again, you can only get as real as real. Once every switch and circuit breaker is modeled, there is no where else to go.Add in ATC, weather, AI etc, take them to their 'n'th degree and in 10 years you have a 100 realistic environment.10 Years from now, boot up FS 14 and it looks and behaves exactly as it does in the real world. Now where do you go? Once the aircraft looks real from outside, inside, sounds real, flys real, interacts in a realistic manner and provides a realistic experience we see the beginning of the end.In 20 years we shall look back fondly at the run of the FS franchise.

Yeah, I have to agree. My favorite event of late was the Mission of Burma/Pixies reunion concert. Guess I'm just getting to be an old fogey, though. Isn't it sad that, by definition, that is now Golden Oldie music?And I liked the pre-cellular phone simplicity of the 70's/80's. Sometimes it's helpful to be able to call on the road, but, most of the time, I prefer to have my privacy.My wife would wring my neck now if I didn't have my cell phone on me at all times.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

20 years from now I wil get into my comfy chair, put on my VR glases and boot up Virtual Reality V2.1I wil enter the airliner lobby and choose a classic A380. Only the very occasional little glitches will betray that what I'm seeing is not real (I realy should save up for that V2.8 set you know). I do all the checklist and fly the take-of myself. After a while I get bored. I let the VR co pilot do the flying and look what that hot VR blond is doing in 1st class. I leave the plane a few minutes later to go elephant hunting with my exciting new date but first I kill al the spies, save the world and get the girl. Don't you just love al the cool games you can play with Virtual Reality V2.1 .Other days I just remenice about the good old days by using my virtual Core Duo 2 to boot up that virtual FS-X with DX10 patch. Whow did we realy use to play that simple game on tyhat smal 2d screen. Amazing what 20 years has brought us.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest SJDickson

I believe that you are significantly underestimating the level of effort, the human and data resources and the advances in both knowledge and technology required in order to achieve the level of fidelity you are talking about.

Guest Daniel42

> what lies in store for us 10 years and 20 years down the road...The PMDG MD-11? ;)Sorry for that...I think that the first step towards the future is ACES using the FSX engine for the new TrainSim, especially if they will created an online world in which both sims can run in parrallel.Here's a question... what's the difference between Vatsim/IVAO and Second Life? Plenty ofcourse, but it was a trick question. I actually think there are a lot of similarities. How far away are we from flying Second Life passengers across the world in FSX?Daniel

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) I predict there will be a computer in over 75% of all homes in America (...)"If you mean "America the Continent(s)", I fear that this stage will not be reached in any FORSEEABLE future. First the remarkable milestone of 75% of all homes in America having ELECTRICITY supplied to them should be reached. Right now "luxuries" like indoor plumbing are more urgent to most inhabitants of the Americas than computers. If you mean the United States of America, hasn't the 75% line been crossed already years ago?Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest babua

30 years from now, FS will be so intelligent that it will have a simulation game for itself called the human simulator. whenever FS will feel like flying itself it will fire up the human simulator and ask the virtual pilot to do its bidding!!It will also complain about how slow the human simulator is, how choppy and error prone in pronunciations and spelling!!

Guest PARADISE

No doubt that 10-20 years from now the price of a barrel of oil should top $1500.00. That would mean airfare for just a shuttle flight from KDCA to KEWR should be around $1800.00....one way. Complement that with $250.00 cab fare (not including tip) to and from the hotel, I'll be glad to see a sim that will be so realistic that I never have to leave my home/office to go fly. Of course we'll be paying a ton for every kilowatt of electricity used which may mean that the best selling "flight simulation" will be; 'How to Build a Better Paper Airplane'.....Assuming that there are still some trees left.John M:-walksmile

Guest radarbeam

In future FS releases I hope MS will bundle a usb-powered fragrance diffuser ....that diffuses jet fuel vapors across the room for extra immersion ;)