Sign in to follow this  
Guest westes

I Have Solved the Error 1722 FSX Re-Install Problem

Guest westes

Some of us have been suffering through the Error 1722 error upon re-install of FSX. Microsoft Knowledebase 928080 provides a link to a licensing utility that supposedly overcomes this error:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080Many of us download this utility and run it and it does not fix the error 1722. In my own case, I had FSX running successfully. It was legally purchased on a legal Windows XP box. Out of the blue FSX started to complain about failing activation. In a huge oversight, Microsoft forgot to add a licensing reactivation menu item to FSX, so I had no way to reactivate. I had to uninstall, at which point the Error 1722 nightmare began. I have been without FSX now for four months plus.Today, I decided to look at solving this problem, and fortunately I did just that. The reason for the error 1722 not being resolved by the knowledgebase utility for some users is that the Microsoft is creating the licensing file with a DACL for the Users group with Full Control, but they are NOT including any entry in the DACL for Administrators Group!!! As a result of this programming error, if you are logged in as the local administrator and try to run the knowledgebase 928080 utility, it does not run correctly!!!The fix to the situation is to add local administrator (or whatever user you are using who runs in Administrator context) into the Users group. LOG OUT (this is not optional) and log back in and run the 928080 utility. Now it will work.At this point I rebooted, reinstalled FSX, reactivated, and I was back in business. I did however lose all of my installed add-ins, and I am not a happy camper about losing nearly 1/2 a year of gameplay, losing my entire Sunday to fix an aggregious programmer error that should have been caught by Microsoft, and in having to restart on installation of many terrain add-ins. I am back in business, but worse for the wear.

Guest Hugo

Hi! Sometime after a first FSX install last november, it refused to boot so I had to uninstall and re-install. I got this 1722 and 1605(?) error warning. After another partition cleaning, I ran the 928080 utility and reinstalled. The activation went just fine and has hold good untill now. After this second install I have been tweeking quite a lot though!With the SP1 coming soon (hopefully!), I plan for a global uninstall and re-install. As I don't want to go through another re-activation problem (it realy is time consuming) I thought I would rerun the 928080 utility, as a precautionnary measure, before reinstalling FSX on the same cleaned partition.Would you think it's a good idea, a bad idea or an overkill? Could there be any detrimental effects running this utility a second time around?Thanks for your comments,Hugo

>Some of us have been suffering through the Error 1722 error>upon re-install of FSX. Microsoft Knowledebase 928080>provides a link to a licensing utility that supposedly>overcomes this error:>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080>>Many of us download this utility and run it and it does not>fix the error 1722. In my own case, I had FSX running>successfully. It was legally purchased on a legal Windows XP>box. Out of the blue FSX started to complain about failing>activation. In a huge oversight, Microsoft forgot to add a>licensing reactivation menu item to FSX, so I had no way to>reactivate. I had to uninstall, at which point the Error>1722 nightmare began. I have been without FSX now for four>months plus.>>Today, I decided to look at solving this problem, and>fortunately I did just that. The reason for the error 1722>not being resolved by the knowledgebase utility for some users>is that the Microsoft is creating the licensing file with a>DACL for the Users group with Full Control, but they are NOT>including any entry in the DACL for Administrators Group!!! >As a result of this programming error, if you are logged in as>the local administrator and try to run the knowledgebase>928080 utility, it does not run correctly!!!>>The fix to the situation is to add local administrator (or>whatever user you are using who runs in Administrator context)>into the Users group. LOG OUT (this is not optional) and log>back in and run the 928080 utility. Now it will work.>>At this point I rebooted, reinstalled FSX, reactivated, and I>was back in business. I did however lose all of my installed>add-ins, and I am not a happy camper about losing nearly 1/2 a>year of gameplay, losing my entire Sunday to fix an aggregious>programmer error that should have been caught by Microsoft,>and in having to restart on installation of many terrain>add-ins. I am back in business, but worse for the wear.>After running the resetsdl utility, you could have used the repair option (Provided you didn't uninstall first) rather the reinstalling from scratch. In that way you wouldn't have lost your addons. Any modules though would have to be resetup in your dll.xml file

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest westes

>After running the resetsdl utility, you could have used the>repair option (Provided you didn't uninstall first) rather the>reinstalling from scratch. In that way you wouldn't have lost>your addons. Any modules though would have to be resetup in>your dll.xml fileThis is all hindsight. I ran the resetsdl utility before I uninstalled FSX, and it gave a permanent error. I posted that information here at AVSIM and was told my only choice was to uninstall. I therefore did this and still got the error. Yes, if I had known about the fix I posted at the start of this thread, I could have applied that to the system while FSX was previously installed, then attempted a repair install after successfully running resetsdl.I would have gladly paid Microsoft a support fee to tell me all of the above as well. I was appalled that the phone numbers in the FSX manual simply time out or give fast busy. I repeatedly posted to newsgroups asking for a paid support number and I was just ignored. So I was on my own on this and did what I could with the little free time I had.

I had the 1722 error.I had tried Microsoft's KB fix, and it BSOD'ed...no, it completely trashed to no-boot...my WinXP installation.I had to use Last Known Good Config to get it back.That will be the LAST time I try a "simple" fix like that without doing my homework.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Some of us have been suffering through the Error 1722 error>upon re-install of FSX. Microsoft Knowledebase 928080>provides a link to a licensing utility that supposedly>overcomes this error:>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080>>Many of us download this utility and run it and it does not>fix the error 1722. In my own case, I had FSX running>successfully. It was legally purchased on a legal Windows XP>box. Out of the blue FSX started to complain about failing>activation. In a huge oversight, Microsoft forgot to add a>licensing reactivation menu item to FSX, so I had no way to>reactivate. I had to uninstall, at which point the Error>1722 nightmare began. I have been without FSX now for four>months plus.>>Today, I decided to look at solving this problem, and>fortunately I did just that. The reason for the error 1722>not being resolved by the knowledgebase utility for some users>is that the Microsoft is creating the licensing file with a>DACL for the Users group with Full Control, but they are NOT>including any entry in the DACL for Administrators Group!!! >As a result of this programming error, if you are logged in as>the local administrator and try to run the knowledgebase>928080 utility, it does not run correctly!!!>>The fix to the situation is to add local administrator (or>whatever user you are using who runs in Administrator context)>into the Users group. LOG OUT (this is not optional) and log>back in and run the 928080 utility. Now it will work.>>At this point I rebooted, reinstalled FSX, reactivated, and I>was back in business. I did however lose all of my installed>add-ins, and I am not a happy camper about losing nearly 1/2 a>year of gameplay, losing my entire Sunday to fix an aggregious>programmer error that should have been caught by Microsoft,>and in having to restart on installation of many terrain>add-ins. I am back in business, but worse for the wear.>Microsoft should offer you a job! lol

Guest westes

>>Some of us have been suffering through the Error 1722 error>>upon re-install of FSX. Microsoft Knowledebase 928080>>provides a link to a licensing utility that supposedly>>overcomes this error:>>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080>>>>Many of us download this utility and run it and it does not>>fix the error 1722. In my own case, I had FSX running>>successfully. It was legally purchased on a legal Windows>XP>>box. Out of the blue FSX started to complain about failing>>activation. In a huge oversight, Microsoft forgot to add a>>licensing reactivation menu item to FSX, so I had no way to>>reactivate. I had to uninstall, at which point the Error>>1722 nightmare began. I have been without FSX now for four>>months plus.>>>>Today, I decided to look at solving this problem, and>>fortunately I did just that. The reason for the error 1722>>not being resolved by the knowledgebase utility for some>users>>is that the Microsoft is creating the licensing file with a>>DACL for the Users group with Full Control, but they are NOT>>including any entry in the DACL for Administrators Group!!! >>>As a result of this programming error, if you are logged in>as>>the local administrator and try to run the knowledgebase>>928080 utility, it does not run correctly!!!>>>>The fix to the situation is to add local administrator (or>>whatever user you are using who runs in Administrator>context)>>into the Users group. LOG OUT (this is not optional) and>log>>back in and run the 928080 utility. Now it will work.>>>>At this point I rebooted, reinstalled FSX, reactivated, and>I>>was back in business. I did however lose all of my>installed>>add-ins, and I am not a happy camper about losing nearly 1/2>a>>year of gameplay, losing my entire Sunday to fix an>aggregious>>programmer error that should have been caught by Microsoft,>>and in having to restart on installation of many terrain>>add-ins. I am back in business, but worse for the wear.>>>>Microsoft should offer you a job! lolI would settle for a place on the beta team. :)