Sign in to follow this  
Langeveldt

Will we always be stuck with this high alt night lighting?

In my opinion this is really poor compared to how things are in the day.  Most settings on high.  Is it just me who is really unhappy with how things look at night?  (from altitude).  I don't know how to largen the image, but Manchester and Liverpool are a yellowy blur with the road lights of the motorway stopping abruptly before the blur.  I know it's been like this for a while, I just thought there were improvements. 

spacer.png

Edited by Langeveldt
  • Like 1

I don’t want to be the guy that says you’re wrong as we all have our opinions but I find the night lighting to be the best it’s ever been. I think they improved it at high altitude with SU5 or 6, it’s not perfect but better for me anyway. What hardware you running on? 

• Like 5

It is very subjective.  Some people think the night lighting is great.

I just think it is ordinary, and looks a bit like FSX again now. 

The original night lighting at launch was very atmospheric. 

It was only the sepia masks that people wanted attending to, but the baby got thrown out with the bath water for some reason - maybe a misunderstanding in translation.
It is another thing constantly fiddled with, but I don't personally see much change for the better - I certainly haven't noticed anything that makes you say 'look at that!', but I am just OK with it.

They have quite a lot of other stuff to work on over the next few months so they will probably leave this now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Night lighting is good now..

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

19 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

I don’t want to be the guy that says you’re wrong as we all have our opinions but I find the night lighting to be the best it’s ever been. I think they improved it at high altitude with SU5 or 6, it’s not perfect but better for me anyway. What hardware you running on? 

A 5700XT, I7, 64GB of RAM pretty much everything on high.  Scaling on 130, 1080p

I mean things look great in the day.  Wish they would get rid of the sludgy distant cities at night is all. 

Night lighting is very good now.  SU6 moved the sepia mask out a little bit and SU7 pushed it out to about 100km.  I think they have done a great job on it and it looks very realistic IMO.  The sepia mask is still needed to get the glow of the cities further away but I think they have it at a nice distance right now.  Obviously, the higher you are it will appear closer but it is so much better than it was. Now, if only they could implement cars with X-plane style headlights/taillights...

• Like 5

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Now, if only they could implement cars with X-plane style headlights/taillights...

+1!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't know as I have an old SDR monitor and since SU5 everything seems designed for HDR.

One thing that annoys me though, are the lights along the main roads even deep in the countryside, a FSX legacy.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

When in cruise i simply turn down my gamma a bit and get great results...its so easy sometimes. But people dont have the ten seconds to do it....

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

22 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

One thing that annoys me though, are the lights along the main roads even deep in the countryside, a FSX legacy.

I generally like the night lighting a LOT now, but this is one of exactly two things that annoy me (the other is that pink glow on the horizon even in the middle of the night that never goes away).

• Like 2

I dont know what LOD your using but a bigger LOD would help your motorway stopping abruptly. Scaling since a SU7 is a FPS killer. Drop that to 100 and push your LOD out.

Like above if your doing a night flight open NCP and drop you gamma to it becomes how you like it.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I took a flight down the east coast of Florida starting not far from Orlando (theres a little airport on the southern end of an island I like - can't remember its name or code).  It seemed to me they brightened the underlying textures again which made the embedded road lighting WAY too bright.  Maybe it was just the area or my altitude (5500 feet) but it didnt look good.  Theres so much variance in the underlying texture quality that its hard to tell.  I'll have to retake the flight and see.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

9 hours ago, sightseer said:

I took a flight down the east coast of Florida starting not far from Orlando (theres a little airport on the southern end of an island I like - can't remember its name or code).  It seemed to me they brightened the underlying textures again which made the embedded road lighting WAY too bright.  Maybe it was just the area or my altitude (5500 feet) but it didnt look good.  Theres so much variance in the underlying texture quality that its hard to tell.  I'll have to retake the flight and see.

The moon phase will effect the ground textures at night.  Try it when the moon isn't up ...the ground is pitch black!  

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

10 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

The moon phase will effect the ground textures at night.  Try it when the moon isn't up ...the ground is pitch black!

I'm talking about the embedded street light textures.  They just seem much brighter lately.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

18 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I'm talking about the embedded street light textures.  They just seem much brighter lately.

Oh ok...I know what you mean, they are a little brighter. I'm noticing more red textures...maybe trying to simulate car lights??

Eric