Sign in to follow this  
Twenty6

MSFS Market Place sale

I know a lot of people (including myself) avoid the in game Market Place and prefer to buy addons elsewhere. But money is money and there are some very good prices in the Market Place right now, including the PMDG DC-6 for USD 55.00. Lots of other items on sale too. Not the Just Flight arrows, though.

How is this star rating system done on the Market Place? I see no way to view the rating and the PMDG DC-6 is only 3.2 out of 5 with 63 rates. I don't own the plane but from reading about it I expected a 5 out of 5.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

How is this star rating system done on the Market Place? I

You must understand that lots of users on the Marketplace are first-time buyers, with not much experience over established products and developers so, the ratings might just be due to either the airplane too complex to use for newbies (so they think "it's bugged", because they tried to do something that would work on a default planes, but not in reality ) and, sometimes, they give a 1-star rating because of problems that are not the developer's fault.

I speak from experience here: when we released the Swiss mesh a while ago, it was iniitally very well received. Then SU5 update came out and, for some reason, the copy sold on the Marketplace stopped to work and froze the sim. The version we sold directly was perfectly fine so, it was really a problem on the Marketplace package. It took several weeks for Microsoft to find what the issue was and release an update but, during that time, we collected a big amount of 1-stars ratings, lowering the overall score for something we couldn't control.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 2

The DC6 is very good. It is old school from what most are used to and will require getting into the books.

Two suggestions.....

Use the included virtual flight engineer to run checklist and  and get to know the contents of the tablet on the left side of the captain's seat. Also, watch a few videos....it will make a lot more sense.

As a side note I flew the same engine (R2800) on the Canadair CL215 water bomber and I can vouch for the accuracy of these engines. The sound of a round engine is magnificent. Others who have flown the actual aircraft speak highly of it too. It is very well done.

There's definitely a learning curve with the PMDG DC6 and once you start making progress it is a satisfying aircraft in MSFS. It could end up being some of the most enjoyable money spent on a MSFS add-on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dbw1 said:

The DC6 is very good. It is old school from what most are used to and will require getting into the books.

Two suggestions.....

Use the included virtual flight engineer to run checklist and  and get to know the contents of the tablet on the left side of the captain's seat. Also, watch a few videos....it will make a lot more sense.

As a side note I flew the same engine (R2800) on the Canadair CL215 water bomber and I can vouch for the accuracy of these engines. The sound of a round engine is magnificent. Others who have flown the actual aircraft speak highly of it too. It is very well done.

There's definitely a learning curve with the PMDG DC6 and once you start making progress it is a satisfying aircraft in MSFS. It could end up being some of the most enjoyable money spent on a MSFS add-on.

I just purchased the dc6, opened it up for a quick glance through of the flight deck, quite intimidating! 

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

16 hours ago, virtuali said:

You must understand that lots of users on the Marketplace are first-time buyers, with not much experience over established products and developers so, the ratings might just be due to either the airplane too complex to use for newbies (so they think "it's bugged", because they tried to do something like in a default planes, but not in reality ) and, sometimes, they give a 1-star rating because of problems that are not the developer's fault.

I speak from experience here: when we released the Swiss mesh a while ago, it was iniitally very well received. Then SU5 update came out and, for some reason, the copy sold on the Marketplace stopped to work and froze the sim. The version we sold directly was perfectly fine so, it was really a problem on the Marketplace package. It took several weeks for Microsoft to find what the issue was and release an update but, during that time, we collected a big amount of 1-stars ratings, lowering the overall score for something we couldn't control.

Wow, that is very unfortunate and unfair! It's a pity that the MS marketplace doesn't have a timeline chart for the ratings, like that on Steam, so that one can see whether the ratings were related to an event or an update and have since improved...

I'm mostly into small aircraft and have bought a handful (on sale) on the marketplace. I find the rating system for those to be quite accurate and roughly in-line with my personal impressions. But, I'm a cheapskate and go for the better value-for-money products and perhaps the chance of disappointment is much lower in that category.

That low rating for the PMDG DC6 is quite surprising and I can only agree that it is probably too complex for the kind of buyer on the marketplace. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the larger aircraft and will not even consider buying a PMDG aircraft, those prices are waaaaaay above my comfort zone. So, for me at least, that low rating is 100% accurate.

I've learnt to avoid anything below a 4.0/5 rating.

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

21 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

there are some very good prices in the Market Place right now, including the PMDG DC-6 for USD 55.00

I thought PMDG sold products in their website only. With the exchange rates the Marketplace uses for my country, looks like a sweet deal for me (even if the DC-6 is not my type of flying).

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

14 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I thought PMDG sold products in their website only. With the exchange rates the Marketplace uses for my country, looks like a sweet deal for me (even if the DC-6 is not my type of flying).

Aren't Xbox users limited to buying through the MarketPlace for any addon?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

Aren't Xbox users limited to buying through the MarketPlace for any addon?

That´s correct, AFAIK.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

It probably has that rating due to performance, it’s extremely CPU limited. flying it costs me about 30 FPS. PMDG needs to fix that,I get that it’s complex but all the other complex planes run in the low 50s on my system.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

8 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I thought PMDG sold products in their website only.

I stand corrected:https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/153331-24nov21-pmdg-dc-6-released-via-marketplace-special-pricing-and-some-notes-for-marketplace-pc-xbox-users

And with the exchange rates the Marketplace has, I couldn't resist. I'm still dealing with the Introduction...

Best regards,