Sign in to follow this  
Scimiter

Reno Races

4 minutes ago, deepstar said:

I bought the full package and got myself 40 new aircrafts. Nice. You have to go to Activities to join races.

Thanks @deepstar . 👍

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

1 hour ago, Lord Farringdon said:

That sorted it thanks @peppy197  It was under activities.  👍

Cheers

Terry

Thanks, now I know where to go too

I would like the races more if I would see engine management pushing the planes to the limit but with posibility of breaking the engines (I know the planes can break the engines because hard RPM continously thrust, but I think is only in normal flights), and also collisions in mid air. If DCS can do it I don't know why MSFS couldn't do it also. 

Of course I understand that some users just want to have fun flying easy, but if Asobo would have done the realistic way also, they could divide the races in arcade or realistic ones, taxing from plantform if servers wanted to. Of course there would be always trolls that would collide with people, but that is the reason of private servers existance. With the collision I think nothing can be done, but I hope that modders can modify the planes and system to add some kind of engine physics, plus propeller turbulences (I think they said that the races had it, but I didn't notice them as in DCS)

If mid air collision where introduced, then they could just leave each plane with their own performances, as in F1, not all races are won because engine power.

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 1

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

2 hours ago, Japo32 said:

I would like the races more if I would see engine management pushing the planes to the limit but with posibility of breaking the engines (I know the planes can break the engines because hard RPM continously thrust, but I think is only in normal flights), and also collisions in mid air. If DCS can do it I don't know why MSFS couldn't do it also. 

Of course I understand that some users just want to have fun flying easy, but if Asobo would have done the realistic way also, they could divide the races in arcade or realistic ones, taxing from plantform if servers wanted to. Of course there would be always trolls that would collide with people, but that is the reason of private servers existance. With the collision I think nothing can be done, but I hope that modders can modify the planes and system to add some kind of engine physics, plus propeller turbulences (I think they said that the races had it, but I didn't notice them as in DCS)

If mid air collision where introduced, then they could just leave each plane with their own performances, as in F1, not all races are won because engine power.

In one class that I seem to have spent most of my time in, there actually is a bit of engine management needed in order to move into the higher rankings.  Firewalling the throttle will only get you so far.

There is also PLENTY of turbulence from the prop wake of the aircraft in front of you, so line selection matters.

Midair collisions are enabled in every race I've been in and the class I've been most active in seems notorious for this.  I've had to alter my qualifying and race start tactics to suit.  I consider it another element to the challenge rather than a nuisance. As you move up and compete with a better class of pilots this becomes less of a concern.

This all adds up to pilot stick and rudder skills and knowledge of the aircraft making the difference.  There are in fact important nuances under the surface that seem to be lost on the average tubeliner driver, resulting in retorts about this being for the "XBox crowd" due to their frustration.

Would I like to see complex engine management? Absolutely. But thinking there isn't already a small aspect already present is a mistake that I just recently corrected myself over.

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 3

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

The biggest problem for me with the Reno Air Races tittle which I bought day 1 in it's "soft" version - 3 additional aircraft only, the P51D, the T6 and the L-39 - IS:

- the very basic / arcadish flight models of the 3 new props, Pitts S1, P51D and T-6.

The wake turbulence effect is bakked, not at all calculated like in DCS World or even IL-2 Great Battles.

Maybe that's good enough for those playing MFS through the xBox + xBox Gamepad, but not really for me 😕

And... these clickless cockpits always remind me of when the same started happening in MS FLIGHT - can't really avoid it ...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

50 minutes ago, jcomm said:

And... these clickless cockpits always remind me of when the same started happening in MS FLIGHT - can't really avoid it ...

Inop cockpits are awful normally, but for Reno racing I personally don't think it matters that much. 

Not sure how its Flight? 

52 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Inop cockpits are awful normally, but for Reno racing I personally don't think it matters that much. 

Not sure how its Flight? 

Exactly.  And, although I agree there are certainly aspects of the flight model for the T-6 that are way off, they have more to do with low-speed handling particularly on landing and floating forever.  But I'm no expert on the T-6 and only have 1 hour of time in a real one, a gift from the wonderful Mrs. Stoopy that included hands-on stick time and aerobatics.  It was a LOT more lively than I thought it would be, going by it's looks, I'll say that.  

Can't say much about the prop wash being modelled incorrectly since I haven't flown behind one at 190+ knots (and neither, I suspect, has anyone else here).  It's better than having it not modelled, and I try to stay out of it anyway.  Bottom line is taking all things into account I'm having a good time.

Although if you were to compare feature-wise to car-based racing sims, it's very barren in regards to features, courses, etc.  It's definitely a long way off from BeamNG.drive, which is the only one I currently own, but I use that primarily to practice my J-turns in the 440 Coronet.  😄

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Clickable cockpits! You don't have time to look down its fatal.😧

• Like 2

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

1 minute ago, Scimiter said:

Clickable cockpits! You don't have time to look down its fatal.😧

Yep.  In fairness though, flying them outside of the race course, they are clickable, but do have a lot of INOP switches.  But the usual stuff like fuel, battery, prime, mags, starter, alternator, avionics, gear, flaps, trim is all clickable. It's kind of on equal terms as the KA350.   Bare minimum clickability,  

The ONE clickable thing I'd like is to be able to open the big greenhouse cockpit if the T-6 for normal flight in the landing pattern and on the ground, outside of the races.   As usual Asobo has us trapped and suffocating inside.  help help I can't bweathe...

"That's what" - She

So, is the Black Friday sale for the "complete package" for $59 a good deal - or just the standard pricing they've been offering? 

2 hours ago, caneman said:

So, is the Black Friday sale for the "complete package" for $59 a good deal - or just the standard pricing they've been offering? 

That's the standard pricing.  Since it's only been out for like a week I'd expect it not to go on sale for a while yet. 

"That's what" - She