Sign in to follow this  
Guest mjtibbs

How would I use the VC from default B737 in a freeware aircraft with no VC?

Guest mjtibbs

Hi,Could someone please tell me how I would go about using the VC from the default B737_800 for a freeware aircraft which i've downloaded which has no VC.Basically, I want this downloaded freeware aircraft to use the default B737 panel AND Virtual Cockpit.I've heard this is possible but I don't know how to do it in practice.any help is much appreacated.regards,--tibbz

unless you have the original model files used to create the airplane in the first place, it is not possible

Guest mjtibbs

Hi,ah ok,is there any chance you could breifly explain the process please because I may purchase captain sim's exterior 727.He says you can "marry" it to any aircraft's VC so I presume he must supply the required model files as he mentions them in the FAQ (but doesnt explain how to actually link it)many thanksEDIT: I've asked the same question on thier support forum but the board is very inactive.

Guest PARADISE

They may have meant that you can use a VC from them, or an aftermarket developer that makes VC's for that model. But, I don't believe you can "marry" a default VC into another developer's cockpit.John M

ive heard that this is possible in FSX. i have yet to figure it out tho. the developers over a posky have said that they have figured it out

>is there any chance you could breifly explain the process>please because I may purchase captain sim's exterior 727.>>He says you can "marry" it to any aircraft's VC so I presume>he must supply the required model files as he mentions them in>the FAQ (but doesnt explain how to actually link it)IF the exterior model is a true FSX "exterior model", then "marrying" the default VC model is as simple as editing the model.cfg file, and copy/pasting the default 737's B737_800_interior.mdl file to the new aircraft's model folder, and also modifying the panel.cfg file to include the default 737's VCockpit gauge entries:{models}normal=MyNew737Modelinterior=B737_800_interiorIt really is that simple! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest mjtibbs

thanks alot for the info.I thought it may have involve moving the interior model file but wanted reassurance before I purchased the exterior model.It should work as I think its a true FSX exterior model.I'll try this out in the next couple days.thx again

probably not ported over from previous FS versions...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

> Bill,>> What do you mean by "True" FSX model?Craig, I mean a .mdl that was compiled with the new, FSX X2MDL.exe compiler.The structure of the .mdl file is very different from .mdl files compiled with the FS9 MakeMDL.exe compiler.It's easy enough to determine which is which though, simply open the .mdl file in Wordpad.exe and examine the first few bytes of the file:If you see MDL8MDL then it is an FS9 compiled model...If you see MDLXMDL then it is an FSX compiled model! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest mjtibbs

Hi,I followed your instructions but for some reason only the guages appear in VC mode.-The 727 model is definatly a true FSX model (screenshot)-I have the default b737 interior model in my payware 727model folder.-I am using the default b737 panel in the payware 727.-my model.cfg displays as follows:{models}normal=cs727_200interior=B737_800_interiorbytez.jpgvc.jpgany idea why this is happening?thanks--Mike