Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

Confidence Level in Marketplace Ratings for Aircraft?

The only reason I posted this relates to a 3.2/5.0 for the Douglas DC-6 by PMDG. Found if very surprising out of 65 evaluations 40% gave it 1.0! 
48% 5.0      8% 4.0    3% 3.0    2% 2.0    40% 1.0 

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

If it is marketplace, it is for X Box, which is not working at the moment. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

15 minutes ago, Doering said:

The only reason I posted this relates to a 3.2/5.0 for the Douglas DC-6 by PMDG. Found if very surprising out of 65 evaluations 40% gave it 1.0! 
48% 5.0      8% 4.0    3% 3.0    2% 2.0    40% 1.0 

Interesting, I just now purchased this, Although on the PMDG site.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

5 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Interesting, I just now purchased this, Although on the PMDG site.

Interesting O.K.!  - since this discussion seems to refer to an X box problem --

How did you purchase for X box on PMDG site ??

41 minutes ago, jaytee73 said:

Interesting O.K.!  - since this discussion seems to refer to an X box problem --

Listen here champ…original post doesn’t say Xbox, just relates to the rating , which has a rating of 3, and whether you get it on the PMDG site or the marketplace, it’s still a dc6 from PMDG, so I was saying interesting, In that I hope it’s better than a 3 star rating.

Go find another tree to climb! 

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

In my limited experience the ratings in the MP (and for the most part anywhere else) have zero point zero relevance to the overall quality and how satisfied I will be.  You would think that at least an overwhelming low rating has some information value and that may be true, but now a simple Xbox vs PC functionality issue has potential to turn that into a very misleading opposite.  Didn't buy the DC-6 yet though, so I can't say anything specific about that yet.

As for the positive ratings, things are sometimes obvious if you think about it - most people don't expect or want any increased fidelity other than textures and looks, they want to have a model of a specific aircraft pretty much like they wanted the plastic model kit as a kid, they don't use VR or take lessons on that specific aircraft and hence they never encounter problems with the very long history of these models (unless an update or DX12 breaks it) that's why Carenada is still around.  I have paid 35 bucks for planes that would earn at best average ratings as a freeware on X-Plane (because the standard is very high there) but have 4.x stars in the MP and the ongoing sales despite really bad ratings tell me that some people just don't care and buy (and obviously enjoy) downright shady offers.

Summary: To me, the MP ratings without qualifying comments are as useless as if they wouldn't exist. 

Edited by Captain Nuts
  • Like 2

It's like most things in this hobby; If you want to know something factual then head to a website where people know what they are talking about.

I don't want to punch down on those that have less aviation and simming knowledge, they are all very welcome in the community.

But with the number of active forums, youtube channels and websites that cover the products available; I find myself never even glancing at the ratings on the storefront. 

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

6 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

You don't. For Xbox, you buy it on Marketplace, it's been out there for a couple of days.

In case anyone is interested in the details of the issue, take a look at Rob's comprehensive explanation of the investigations: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/153473-24nov21-xbox-users-important-update-and-trouble-shooting-process#post153473

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

6 hours ago, Captain Nuts said:

In my limited experience the ratings in the MP (and for the most part anywhere else) have zero point zero relevance to the overall quality and how satisfied I will be.  You would think that at least an overwhelming low rating has some information value and that may be true, but now a simple Xbox vs PC functionality issue has potential to turn that into a very misleading opposite.  Didn't buy the DC-6 yet though, so I can't say anything specific about that yet.

As for the positive ratings, things are sometimes obvious if you think about it - most people don't expect or want any increased fidelity other than textures and looks, they want to have a model of a specific aircraft pretty much like they wanted the plastic model kit as a kid, they don't use VR or take lessons on that specific aircraft and hence they never encounter problems with the very long history of these models (unless an update or DX12 breaks it) that's why Carenada is still around.  I have paid 35 bucks for planes that would earn at best average ratings as a freeware on X-Plane (because the standard is very high there) but have 4.x stars in the MP and the ongoing sales despite really bad ratings tell me that some people just don't care and buy (and obviously enjoy) downright shady offers.

Summary: To me, the MP ratings without qualifying comments are as useless as if they wouldn't exist. 

A market place rating is about as useful as if you asked your plumber what he thought about an aircraft. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

A market place rating is about as useful as if you asked your plumber what he thought about an aircraft. 

Absolute horrible comparison

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pstrub said:

You don't. For Xbox, you buy it on Marketplace, it's been out there for a couple of days.

In case anyone is interested in the details of the issue, take a look at Rob's comprehensive explanation of the investigations: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/153473-24nov21-xbox-users-important-update-and-trouble-shooting-process#post153473

Thanks very much for all the replies! I too always try and go to the source for the most accurate evaluations and always keep a bit of critical appraisal active for making the final decision. The rating makes more sense now with the issues on the Xbox platform.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

26 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

No no, plumbers can have aircraft too, some even design aircraft (at least the Porter looks like it was designed by one* :D).  It's more like as useful as if you asked your cat what he/she's thinking about a quantum computer but that would still be more useful! 🙂

* Fabulous aircraft tho, barely any sewage leaks.

Edited by Captain Nuts
  • Like 2

Several chuckles reading this thread, keep it going!

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor