Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

my rudder stops working when I land?

Every since SU7 I feel like I no longer know how to fly.  I fly the Pipistrel Virus exclusively these days so maybe somethings changed with the plane but it just seems that I can be lined up on final and all is going well - looking fine - and then I touch down and my aircraft just veers right off the side of the runway unless I greatly increase rudder input and even then sometimes its not enough.  I'm not sure whats going on.

anyone else have this issue?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I wonder if you have taxiway assist enabled? I'm away from my sim computer at the moment so I'm not sure if that is what it is called, but effectively, the aircraft will align with centreline during takeoff and below a certain speed after landing take itself to the gate. It took some time before I realised this and I could not work out why I had no control of the rudder after landing. It was characterised by me turning left and the rudder going right or me turning right and the rudder going left.  Basically the assistance was trying to get the aircraft off the runway and onto the nearest taxiway. Once on the taxi it was fighting me for control to stay on the taxiway centreline. This one might be high on the list since SU7 put all our settings back to easy if we accessed the content manager. 

Alternatively, you might simply have too much rudder trim dialled in. 

Wind gusts can also be a factor. Check your weather settings to how often gusts are occurring and how powerful they are.  

Finally, I understand some model dynamics are less than optimal, (I've never flown the Pipistrel Virus) so try a different aircraft and see if the problem goes away. If you've flown the PV fine until SU7, then sure, it's not the aircraft.  

Hope this helps

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

41 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

wonder if you have taxiway assist enabled?

no.  I am using the 'true to life' preset at the moment.  I had things custom set but I got bitten by that 'settings reset when updating via content manager' bug.

I really think they've changed something either with the rudder or with ground control or both.  I know they were messing with ground control.

It just doesn't seem right that the amount of influence my rudder had would change at the moment of touchdown.  Maybe that's how it is in real life?  I'm not a pilot and could not be under those circumstances... for the aircraft to just veer violently off the runway unless you greatly increase the rudder input.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Hello

I too am having all sorts of problems with my joystick after SU7.

I find that when I apply full rudder with my joystick the rudder moves fully in that direction and slowly return to neutral even with the joystick still on full rudder. Also when I start a flight my throttle is reversed but when I check in control settings it is correct so I return to a flight and all of a sudden my throttle is fully open and the throttle on my joystick has no affect.

Also the engine will all of a sudden increase to full throttle without touching the Joystick throttle and if I push the throttle fully on and then back then the engine goes back to idle.

I have also noticed a couple of time when I startup MSFS I get a message "we can't synch your data" and I can then select Retry (which worked) or "Use offline" (or something similar) and when I select that it is like the first time I ever ran MSFS and needed to setup a lot of things.

Strangely when I do a 'challenge' or 'training' I have no problems with the rudder and throttle. It's only doing a 'free flight' where the rudder and throttle are like zombies.

No more updates please Asobo as something always seems to go wrong with every new update.

Edited by Jarnie
add sentence

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

I just went through this problem myself. After investigating the issue and trying and looking at quite a few things I discovered the sensitivity on my rudder controls had been changed, although I didn't really know it. With some trial and error adjustments I managed to get rudder control back to normal operation.

Don't know if this will help you, but perhaps you could at least check your sensitivities and see if this applies to you as well.

Ken

Thanks Ken

The problem I am experiencing only happens when I do a 'free flight'. When I do a training flight or adventure the rudder and throttle works perfectly.

[added later]

After searching the internet I found that SU7 reset all settings and so I went 'looking' and changed many from ON to OFF. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Still it is annoying that SU7 could have either advised/warned users during the update that all user settings would be reset and to check them after the update OR better still NOT to change them although maybe this was not possible with the changes being implemented.

Edited by Jarnie
added solution

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

Haven't flown the Pip but if it has a Yaw Damper, that may still be on at touchdown.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Had similar issues after running SU7. Rudder movement in the sim was lethargic. I would snap my CH Products rudder pedals from full left to right and in the sim, they would move the full range, but in their own sweet time. The lag made taxiing "interesting". I fixed it by deleting the rudder pedal profile and creating a new one. That sorted it out. This is possibly the easy option to try as rudder pedals at least do not have multiple buttons requiring key binds that need to be set up. Just delete the profile and the reset your sensitivity and deadzones etc.

A similar thing seemed to happen with the mouse for many, including myself. Mouse would not turn the globe in the flight selection menu. Deleting the profile and creating a new one fixed it.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

first - thanks to all for suggestions and ideas.  Today I did a quick test flight in a windy area - KDAL to KDFW - and the aircraft acted as I would have expected.  My problem flights if I recall correctly have all been in Florida.  The one that made me start this thread was yesterday starting at around Palm Beach FL and there wasnt a lot of wind that I recall and I was headed to Merritt Island near Kennedy Space Center and it didnt report a lot of wind but I decided to stop for fuel and the windsock showed a strong north wind but I didnt believe it and my aircraft wasnt acting like it but then when I itouched down, my aircraft immediately and violently wetaher vaned into the north wind.  It just seemed strange.  It may be a bug with winds or ground control or maybe Im just an word not allowed - who knows..Ill keep testing and thinking... maybe Ill solve it.

I had that happen on the F-18, but it was because path hold enabled for some reason when I hit the deck.

No way, I just bought a new joystick (Thrustmaster T16000) to replace my (what I thought was dying) Logitech Extreme 3D (and gave it away). I figured the logitech was nearly 10 years old and I used it so much and lately its been acting weird so I passed it on to a friend who was going to give flight sim a try. Guess I could have saved the $70 because this one does it sometimes too now.

5900X

32GB DDR4-3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 Ti

Game installed on 980 PRO

Main display Gigabyte M27Q X 27" 1440p 240Hz

16 minutes ago, M3Stang said:

I just bought a new joystick (Thrustmaster T16000)

oh man!  well the bright side is that the T16000 is a good joystick imo.  Ive had mine for years now.

Edited by sightseer

Maybe tail wheel / nose wheel lock (even though the aircraft doesn't have it, it might be in the code somewhere)

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

I had that happen on the F-18, but it was because path hold enabled for some reason when I hit the deck.

"Path hold", Is that on the F-18 or a setting in the simulator?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

18 hours ago, sightseer said:

I touch down and my aircraft just veers right off the side of the runway unless I greatly increase rudder input and even then sometimes its not enough.

Just happened to me in the Bonanza.  An invisible "rudder assist" moves the rudder back.  Just look at the rudder pedals in the cockpit, you will see it happening.

My theory is that there is a "sticky" Assist function that refuses to turn off.

It happened after visiting the Marketplace and having all my settings reset to Easy.

On the FS Forum, a suggestion is to repeatedly turn off the Assist settings, once is not enough..

• Like 1

Bert