Sign in to follow this  

Moving the viewpoint in FSX

Hi guys,Does anyone knows if there is a utility for FSX to change the viewpoint around the flight deck much like Active Camera was able to do for FS?Thanks,Nick

Guest jshyluk

You can search the AVSIM library for freeware WheelCam by Gunnar Daehling. It's very basic, but it might get you started in the right direction.Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but if you REALLY want to look around the flight deck you've only got ONE real option... Natural Point's Track IR 4 Pro...!http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/You're simming live will never be the same again. (Nor your wallet, but well... ;) ) I had Active Camera. Now I have the Track IR: I can't do without anymore. Really!

Guest dpc

TIR does NOT change the view point. It allows you to look around, forward and back. When using TIR in FS9 you could use the view point keys (shft enter, ctrl enter, shft backspace etc) to move about the cabin and use TIR to look around. Example would be moving over to the right seat. In FSX TIR disables the viewpoint keys. When useing TIR in FSX you are pinned to the left seat and you can only look around. You can't "move from" your seat. NO right seat flying with TIR in FSX. I've asked about it at Naturalpoint and they say there is nothing they can do about it.

There definitely IS right seat flying with TIR in FSX!!!(First of all: the topic starter isn't interested in changing the viewpoint like you can with the old keys (shft enter, ctrl enter, shft backspace etc): he is clearly interested in 'looking around' because he talks about Active Camera.)Using those viewpoint keys (shft enter, ctrl enter, shft backspace etc) isn't necessary (anymore) since you can make any viewpoint you want in the configs. Almost all planes come with various views for the VC, like a right seat view. When I switch to that view I can use the Track IR without ANY problem! (I do so every now and then if I want to look outside at that side of the aircraft.) So there definitely IS right seat flying with TIR in FSX!!!TIR does indeed disable the old viewpoint keys (shft enter, ctrl enter, shft backspace etc) unless you press F9: in that case TIR is locked and from that point on you CAN use those old keys. Until you press F9 again, in which case you are reset to the default view (which you have before altering the keys). BTW Using those old keys for sitting higher or something like that isn't necessary anymore with TIR because... you just go and sit higher for real! :)Apart from that, saying that TIR 'allows you to look around, forward and back' sounds a bit simple, as if 'that is all'... But you really can look ANYWHERE just as you would IRL while sitting in the pilot's seat. And that's why I love it: because it makes everything REAL. (BTW transporting yourself with keys to another place in an aircraft isn't exactly realistic... ;) )

Track IR is wonderful. But it is not all.One thing that Active Camera provided was the ability to move the viewpoint easily and quickly. This feature allowed the pilot to focus on one section of the panel/pedestal/overhead and then change that focus instantly--just as one does in real life. For example, one could be flying along and receive instructions from a controller. Then, with a couple of button presses, one could switch focus quickly to the radios to change the frequencies, then to the autopilot to switch headings, and then back to the normal Track IR view. This ability to switch focus--quickly and with rock-solid steadiness--is invaluable. The absence of this ability is one reason that I have been very slow to move toward FSX.I realize that the ACES team has built in the ability to switch views. But it is tedious to set those views for each aircraft. And then to reset them for alternative purposes. (With Active Camera, one need only push a couple of keys to "set" up to 10 views and then save them in their own separate file.)I'd be overjoyed if someone would build a simple version of Active Camera. And, naturally, I'd be pleased to see that author profit financially.Best,Mike MacKuen

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

>I realize that the ACES team has built in the ability to>switch views. But it is tedious to set those views for each>aircraft. And then to reset them for alternative purposes.>(With Active Camera, one need only push a couple of keys to>"set" up to 10 views and then save them in their own separate>file.)>>I'd be overjoyed if someone would build a simple version of>Active Camera. And, naturally, I'd be pleased to see that>author profit financially.Actually, all any enterprising programmer needs to do is build a SimConnect module that would allow the user to "set up custom camera views" from within the sim by use of the existing keyboard commands for shifting the viewpoint, then "write a custom camera entry" to the loaded aircraft's aircraft.cfg file.As many "custom camera views" as the user wants could be easily and quickly added visually while IN the sim. ;)Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the ability to do so myself. I'm a whiz at 3d modeling and gauge programming, but honestly lack the skillset to develop a SimConnect module... *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Track IR is wonderful. But it is not all.>>One thing that Active Camera provided was the ability to move>the viewpoint easily and quickly. This feature allowed the>pilot to focus on one section of the panel/pedestal/overhead>and then change that focus instantly--just as one does in real>life. >>For example, one could be flying along and receive>instructions from a controller. Then, with a couple of button>presses, one could switch focus quickly to the radios to>change the frequencies, then to the autopilot to switch>headings, and then back to the normal Track IR view. This>ability to switch focus--quickly and with rock-solid>steadiness--is invaluable. The absence of this ability is one>reason that I have been very slow to move toward FSX.Er, well... what's easier than bending over towards the radios to change the freq...? 'Just as one does in reallife'..? I mean, what's more realistic? Bending over or pressing a few buttons...?I own Active Camera: it was the best addon I ever bought for FS9 because it made moving around so much easier. But ever since I got the TrackIR I don't miss it anymore in FSX. Once again, I rather bend forward towards the AP than press a button to get there...Still, something like AC would still be nice because that would surely make customviews a lot easier, but then I'm really only thinking about a passengerview. I never ever want to or need to use close up views of anything in the cockpit. It totally spoils the feeling of really being there which I get now with TIR.