Sign in to follow this  
Cloudpiercing

Asobo PC6 rudder problem

I'll admit that I'm new to the PC6, not only in MSFS but I've also never own one in all my previous flight sims, but every time I fly that plane I've to apply full left rudder on the runway just to keep the plane centered when taking off. Is that normal procedure with PC6 or is someting wrong here? I've the TPR rudder pedals and have not this problem with any other GA plane. I've also checked the sensitivty setting and they are ok. Sure the amount of left rudder I need to apply vary with every plane, but having to apply full left rudder just to barely keep the plane centered seems weird to me.

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

You should specify  whether the trims and flaps are set as they should and the direction and velocity of the wind when you experience that.

Try with a CAVOK weather and no wind, the rudder trim set full to  the right, aileron trim in the middle and releasing the brakes once the engine is to the max (still in the green about 1400 ftlb of torque), you should need  very minimal pedals "dancing". Don't forget to have the flaps in the TO position of course.

When you have this settled try with a wind from ahead and  then with a crosswind.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I have the Milviz Porter and in it you set the rudder trim far to the right for takeoff; with big warnings on the dash to make sure all the trims are correct.

I tried the Asobo Porter once and didn't see where the rudder trim even was to set it for takeoff. There's also a tail-wheel lock in the Milviz Porter, don't recall if the Asobo version had one.

It's odd that you have to apply a lot of left rudder unless you have a severe crosswind, as Dominique noted.

• Like 2

Thanks. I blame my totally lack of experience with the PC6 😆. I've tried with CAVOK wheather and only had to apply a much smaller amount off left rudder this time.

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

6 minutes ago, Cloudpiercing said:

Thanks. I blame my totally lack of experience with the PC6 😆. I've tried with CAVOK wheather and only had to apply a much smaller amount off left rudder this time.

Good 😁 !  Now incrementally strengthen the head wind each time. Not much rudder will still be necessary. 

Then do crosswind and remember that keeping the aircraft straight requires some aileron play also not only rudder. The Porter leaves the ground at about 65 knots. 

What is not advised is to take off with a tailwind.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think one of the models is off. I tried one for a few times and it always had this issue, afterwards I tried the other one and it worked without issues on the same runway with the same weather and reasonable rudder.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

30 minutes ago, rka said:

I think one of the models is off. I tried one for a few times and it always had this issue, afterwards I tried the other one and it worked without issues on the same runway with the same weather and reasonable rudder.

They have three variants, normal tires, skis and tundra tires. Which one do you mean ? 

Dominique

10 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

They have three variants, normal tires, skis and tundra tires. Which one do you mean ?

I didn't try the one with skis, so it has to be the other ones.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

8 hours ago, rka said:

I didn't try the one with skis, so it has to be the other ones.

Tried the tundra tires Porter either. No problem.  If you have again this problem,collect the parameters of wind (velocity and direction including gust), the distribution of the weight in the aircraft  and the position of the trims. So that somebody can cross check.

• Like 1

Dominique

I notice the water rudder with the PC6 is not working well as well. Anyone else notice this?

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU