Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Had a pretty serious GSX update this morning...

I can't remember exactly the last time I ran the Auto Update program for GSX, ....but,  there seemed to be totally new content,  or at the least many new logo graphics to go on the different airport support vehicles.  That alone, took about 3-5 minutes to update.  So, if you have not updated for at least I'd say 6 weeks or more...I'd advise to.

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I can't remember exactly the last time I ran the Auto Update program for GSX, ....but,  there seemed to be totally new content,  or at the least many new logo graphics to go on the different airport support vehicles.  That alone, took about 3-5 minutes to update.  So, if you have not updated for at least I'd say 6 weeks or more...I'd advise to.

Cheers,

Here, you can see, when they update GSX

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

One question from a user of P3d v5.2 HF2 that has long been tracking GSX, but never had the guts to but it 🙂

- Facts:

My p3d install uses as add-on scenery only ORBX Global, ORBX Free Airports update and the Aerosoft Madeira X ( Madeira and Porto-Santo islands ).

Aircraft add-ons only the free A2A P-40, the FSLabs A319 and 320 and the PMDG 777.

- Question:

If I install GSX L2 - which as I understand is an evolution of the original GSX - will I have services at all default + freeware enhanced ORBX airports ? What kind of services will be present by default, without any configuration of specific functionalities ?

I read somewhere that there were some steps, apparently laborious, required to properly customize jetways and other services for specific airports, the kind of task that I really wouldn't like to have to spend time in after paying the ammount asked for GSX L2, so... what can you tell me about this ?

Thanks for any hints / suggestions !

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

35 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Thanks for any hints / suggestions !

I have GSX since the beginning and looking back, it is today not what I expected. It needs some work on aircraft and parking positions. There are a lot of people who did configurations for aircraft and airports, which you can freely download. But also this is time consuming work to do, whenever you install an airport. What I most dislike is the cars come from an aircraft parking, if the airport does not have its vehicle parkings with GSX in mind. A lot of airport creaters, commercial and freeware, don't care for GSX. So one could also refine the AFCAD...

What I also dislike is the path the vehicles take, sometimes really stupid and also the drive through the plane, through each other. Things I thought could be fixed one day. Also from time to time it is unloaded somehow in the configuration of my P3D and when I have startet the sim realize missing jetways since it is not loaded. 

I have some FDSD airports which depend on GSX. So that's the reason I don not uninstall it. I hardly use to load the plane with it and have a look at the animations today. I sit in the plane an configure the FMC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Thank you @blaunarwal for taking the time to answer. It was important to read, as well as to watch a few youtubes, and I have pretty much reached the conclusion that GSX L2 is not for me - at my age and being a grumpy simmer, I don't really have the patience or feel in the mood for editing and fixing this or that...

Also, whith the airliner add-ons I use it's really easy to simulate the boarding / cargo oading / fueling, and then pushback and move ahead to the departing rw 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

55 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

What I also dislike is the path the vehicles take, sometimes really stupid and also the drive through the plane, through each other. Things I thought could be fixed one day. Also from time to time it is unloaded somehow in the configuration of my P3D and when I have startet the sim realize missing jetways since it is not loaded. 

I think those problems are more related to default vehicles aren't they?

Ian S

38.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ian S said:

I think those problems are more related to default vehicles aren't they?

I have default vehicles disabled. No, GSX vehicles are silly drivers too 😉

Dan

41 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Thank you @blaunarwal for taking the time to answer. It was important to read, as well as to watch a few youtubes, and I have pretty much reached the conclusion that GSX L2 is not for me - at my age and being a grumpy simmer, I don't really have the patience or feel in the mood for editing and fixing this or that...

Also, whith the airliner add-ons I use it's really easy to simulate the boarding / cargo oading / fueling, and then pushback and move ahed to the departing rw 🙂

I think generally you are wrong. I don't know how to fix things but I wouldn't be without GSX. I love watching the catering trucks loading the plane and the pushback is so easy. I really don't worry about cars going a bit crazy, that is trifling stuff. Watch your passengers walking to the plane, while you do your checks.

So much more believable.

But if you have shelled out for a plane that comes with its own services, then your decision is understandable. I don't have those planes.

• Like 3

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Also, whith the airliner add-ons I use

Which one do you use? 

3 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

What I most dislike is the cars come from an aircraft parking, if the airport does not have its vehicle parkings with GSX in mind. A lot of airport creaters, commercial and freeware, don't care for GSX. So one could also refine the AFCAD...

Vehicle parkings and especially vehicle paths are not something made up by GSX. They are an integral part of the AFCAD since FS9 and, while before GSX developers could be lazy ( we were lazy too, back then ) and just forget about vehicles, using the excuse default ground vehicles didn't look very good, after GSX, an airport developer is doing a disservice to his users, if he continued to crate AFCAD without any care for ground vehicles and paths.

Because, of course, none of the problems with paths chosen by GSX vehicles are GSX problems, they are all caused by a badly designed AFCAD, the most common mistake is not doing proper dedicated vehicle parking AND (especially) vehicle path so that ground vehicles won't cross with airplanes. There is a reason why they are made in a certain way in real life. GSX is forced to use standard parking and taxiways only when there's nothing else available.

Fortunately, MSFS has way better looking vehicles and a more powerful Living World system so, if you do a bad AFCAD in MSFS, it will stuck like a sore thumb way more than it ever did in FSX/P3D where most of the users turned off the default ground vehicles anyway. We hope the quality of airports should improve, and maybe users might assume GSX in MSFS is "smarter", when in fact it will probably be fed with less ***rap.

Also, with one of the latest update, GSX has a new feature, which was required to support encrypted .BGL in MSFS, but we added it to P3D too: and it's the ability to have a separate AFCAD just for GSX usage. If a .BGL for a certain airport is placed in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX, that is the same folder that normally contains GSX .INI profiles, GSX will read that, instead of the one which came with the airport.

The simulator won't see that AFCAD, since that folder is not part of the scenery library, it will be used only by GSX so, you can add/fix problems with the vehicles paths or anything in the airport (overlapping/missing/orphaned nodes, all sort of mistakes usually found in AFCADs ) so you won't have to change the original AFCAD that came with the scenery and at the same time being able to fix the problems its causing to GSX.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

Which one do you use? 

FSLabs A319 / A320 and PMDG 777.

The former have the ATSU-based pax / cargo / fuel / ... loading process. In the 777 I they load instantly, but it's ok for me ...

Main Simulation Rig:

GSX is in my 4 "must haves"for P3D.

Orbx Global Base, Active Sky, PMDG NGX, and GSX. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

17 hours ago, jcomm said:

Also, whith the airliner add-ons I use it's really easy to simulate the boarding / cargo oading / fueling, and then pushback and move ahead to the departing rw 🙂

JComm...I have GSX_2, and honestly,  I don't see too many problems in using it.  The internal set up menus to populate your own Jetways, has very easy 'logic flow' and the level of customization is awesome!  Once you do that at a few favorite airports, the immersion level goes through the roof.  I'd put it another way J....if you love the immersion factor that MSFS brings to the dining table...I'd say to paint words...is that GSX_2 in working in P3D v(whatever) is the 'air' that fills your airport's 'lungs'. 

One early morning flight for me,  off of a Caribbean small regional airport as I was doing the pre-flight with my 'First'....and GSX_2 was sending out the  Passenger Bus, and watching the great...amination of the passengers, so many different ages, races, gender...that it truly made me feel we were taking 200 or so happy vacationers back to Chicago.  So all in all, I highly, highly recommend this program.  It adds real life 'ambiance' to P3D...and takes away the 'sterile' airport.

Again highly recommended, and a breeze to set up...you really can help that along by reading the manual, and setting up as you go.  This is not a one-application suits all...no sir...you have total customization, 

Personally, I would not leave P3D 'home' without it...!!!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

Thnak you all for the answers regarding the "pros" and the "cons" of GSX L2 - I'll add it to my nest to-buy list !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig: