Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Which planes are worth it right now?

I'm getting search fatigue. I'm sure some of you have been there. There are tons of modded freeware planes, sub-par payware, planes good for one trip, etc. I'm looking for a high quality, realistically modeled (systems, flight dynamics, etc), payware/payware quality airplane. I'm really looking forward to the PMDG series as well as the Fenix and others. So just looking for something to hold me over till those get released. Any suggestions?

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

The G36 Improvement Mod w/WT G1000 NXi. 

The guy modelled everything, its basically on its way to becoming an A2Aish type of simulation of the Bonanza. 

CJ4 is pretty good too.

Unless you like wasting money don't purchase the CRJ. Its a first class POS and the developers aren't even answering peoples problem in the forums. Problems that have existed since the FSX/P3D days are STILL in the current build. It will be the last product from Aerosoft. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I enjoy the CRJ… and guess I am lucky with not many issues I’ve ran into. Good to know about the G36 mod!

• Like 3

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

2 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

I enjoy the CRJ… and guess I am lucky with not many issues I’ve ran into. Good to know about the G36 mod!

I too enjoy the CRJ. My favorite plane in MSFS. With the Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo the immersion is amazing. I am having no issues with it, other than a couple of gauges disagreeing and things like that. Nothing that makes it unflyable. 

• Like 4

Eddie
KABQ

4 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I'm getting search fatigue. I'm sure some of you have been there. There are tons of modded freeware planes, sub-par payware, planes good for one trip, etc. I'm looking for a high quality, realistically modeled (systems, flight dynamics, etc), payware/payware quality airplane. I'm really looking forward to the PMDG series as well as the Fenix and others. So just looking for something to hold me over till those get released. Any suggestions?

Speaking of aircraft I own and have flown quite a lot :

If you are looking for an airliner, only the PMDG DC-6 would fit. The modded default Airbus has an excellent reputation but I have never tried it.

If you are looking for GA or a small utility bird, the Milviz Pilatus Porter is very good, flight and system modeling. And you have kind of a FMS with the NXi.

if you are looking to kill yourself, I mean for delicate energy management in flight transitions,  the Skunk Works G-91 (a jet from the cold War era) is the way to go.

If you look at be seated at the other end of a big radial, the MV Corsair is good .

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

JustFlight Pipers are great. The sounds are incredible, they do state saving and accurate systems. Agreeable price.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

The first thing I would ask myself is if I were going to an airshow which type of plane do I want to go ogle. Old biplanes, WWii fighers, modern GA like people would likely buy if they decided to become a pilot, or tubeliners, business jets, or modern military jets like an F18, or a classic like an F104 Starfighter from the Chuck Yeager days, or a classic airliner like a Connie or DC-6.

Personally I would rather have a mediocrity of a plane of the types I'm most interested in than a wonderful and attractive simulation of what to me is a boring type.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, jymp said:

The DC Designs F-14A & B Tomcat is a good buy.

LOL thats a toy, nothing like or close to it. 😄

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The "best" imo is the PMDG DC6. But be warned its Slowwwww

The G36  Improvement Mod w/WT G1000 NXi or imo even better Robert Youngs Turbo mod. Fast and ATM one of the best. If you want Slow GA JF Pipers also are very good.

The Aircraft I fly a lot is AS CRJ, now its not PMDG and its not as good as it should be but, as it is good just not up there. But its good with simbief profiles etc what download into it so you can enter flight plan by typing EGLLEGPH>enter loads your plan. Its OK the CRJ

If you want a WW2 I have the FG-1D/Spite MKIX but the best IMO is the AH Spitfire MKI

There my top 4 aircraft and i come from flying nothing but the FSLA320/PMDG NG etc.

EDIT: If you want a Jet trainer then the JF Hawk is very good or the new F104 looks very intresting. 

@V1ROTA7E As a IRL 747 pilot there is noting we here can teach you but I have a walk though PDF that am happy to send you on the CRJ, will make it very easy to get into and over at PMDG DC6 Forum you will find my walk though there for the DC6 Pined at the top. That walk though I have changed a bit but I could send you the more upto date version also if you like. Both would give you an idea whats involed. Just PM/DM your email.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hi, novice here, i've got the JustFlight/Carenado GAs, the Reno DLC, JU-52 and the PMDG DC-6, i'll only recommend the last one.

The handing of the JustFlight Arrows are pretty weird in my opinion, and the G36 Improvement Project is my favorite GA right now, excellent.

Edited by Icantfly

R9-5950X // 32Gb@3600 // B550 Unify // 3090 TUF OC // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Nuctua D15 // Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 // LG GP-850 1440P@180Hz // HOTAS WARTHOG&TFRP // Windows 11

Sorry for my pathetic English , thank you.😅

I also can recommend the CRJ. Since I've learned how to correctly fly this aircraft I have not encountered any issue anymore. It's in very good shape and with the A32NX the closest thing to study level we have for modern-day airliners.

• Like 4

I second everyone who recommends the PMDG DC-6. I was a bit wary initially, didn't buy it until recently but it's become my plane of choice since (until the A32NX gets hold management).

The AFE (automated flight engineer) is a great help for the beginner, takes care of checklists and especially engine settings - those radials are finicky and get ruined fast when improperly managed! Then once you're more comfortable you can progressively take over. It's a good compromise, I find. It's not an automated flying computer (like the Airbus), you still have to manage things enough to stay engaged, and at the same time you can still set it into cruise on autopilot and go have a coffee or whatsuch.

Speaking of the autopilot, it's a nice compromise too as it's not too complex, it won't follow an entire flight plan all by itself, you still have to set headings and VOR radial yourself, same with climbing and descending to altitude.

The slower cruise speed and altitude compared to a jet tubeliner is also interesting. If you want to go from point A to B ASAP, not the right plane, but if you want to appreciate the scenery and take your time following instrument procedures, it's great.

Ah, and it won't hold your hand. Yesterday I did a great 2 hours flight, ending with a nice visual approach, all perfect... and on the flare I was "huh, usually it doesn't get so low over the runway... oh sheeeet I forgot to lower the gear 😆". Yup, no sound alarm or ECAM alert to catch my oversight there 😅

Edited by iborg1979

spacer.png5800X3D, 64GB 3200 RAM, 7900 XT 20GB

7 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Unless you like wasting money don't purchase the CRJ

I second that, I still have couple of issue with ILS interception, TOD not appearing, HUD even if not collimated is pretty useless and buggy and even if not their fault, you can't use MSFS flight planner nor database.

About the forum, it's pretty bad, I had issues with engine power going all over the place, for two weeks they strongly accused my hardware, until they confirm it was an issue with their code.

My best experience so far with addon is with the CJ4, A320NX, DC6 and a couple more freeware

Just Flight Hawk is one of my better go to aircraft, fun to fly and in VR is absolutely superb

P.S In fact most of Just Flights MSFS aircraft are very good, day one purchase material

Edited by Steve_Ellis
  • Like 1

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

Hands down for me is the PMDG DC-6.  I may be a little biased as I tend to enjoy the planes I paint a lot more as I do a lot of research on them while finding reference material for my projects.  Also...its a different type of flying that invokes actual effort learning how to fly and manage her properly.  Anything that forces me to learn new stuff is appealing, especially in aviation, and this plane can keep you learning for a long time!

And how can you not like an aircraft that gives you a scene like this when you're taking a leisurely flight at 12-13,000 feet from KLAS to KLAX:

Just passing over the the Tonapah (TNP) test range ....setting up for the Hlywd1 arrival into KLAX 

MMQkRy.png

View looking out my window as the sun crests over the Nevada desert.....scenery and atmospherics default with this sim...and some people still complain about this sim.🤔

v5sSh8.png

The only suggestion I can give you you're going to give the DC-6 a try is to commit to learn how to fly it, or it will just be a frustrating experience for you.  Learn the basics and get a few scenic flights under your belt, and you'll likely be hooked...if you're an aviation enthusiast. 🙂

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg