Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Urgent Black Friday Help Need;) - New HP Omen Build

I saw a Black Friday offer of a HP Omen PC with a Ryzen 5900x CPU, RTX 3080 and 32GB of 3200 (possibly downclocked by HP to 2600mhz from what I read) for "only" CHF 2000 (Swiss Francs) which is approximately just under the equivalent of $2000. Seems like a pretty good deal on the surface but I need advice.

Here's the thing, I recently bough a pre-build a couple of months back that I returned. I was from a different manufacturer and had a 10700kf and also an RTX 3080. I experienced lots of stuttering in MSFS with that setup (long pauses and constant micro-stutters), and as a result complained to the manufacturer who eventually accepted that I return it.

That particular pre-build appeared to suffer from an under powered motherboard and low RAM speed (around 2666mhz from what I remember). It gave me a very low 3D Mark Time Spy score and I saw issues in other games so this was not just causing problems in MSFS. Whatever was wrong with it, ultimately it meant I could only run MSFS without stutters if locked at 30fps and even then I experienced bad stutters and low fps in places like NYC and Chicago that clearly were too much for the PC's limitations and issues. KJFK was giving me 18fps and severe stutters depending which way I moved the camera for example. Overall, it was not much of an upgrade from my ageing Intel 6700k and GTX 1080 setup. A bad omen maybe (pun intended 😉 ).

To cut a long story short, I have been looking at other prebuilds since I returned that one but with the feeling of 'once bitten, twice shy'. Due to the GPU shortage, the price difference of building a machine or using a shop that configures them is about $1000 (or CHF) extra meaning that I am still considering prebuilds. However, that doesn't mean I am looking to throw good money after bad.

In this case though compared to what else is out there this seems an 'excellent' deal for the components inside this model of HP Omen. The question is do they work well in HP's setup especially with MSFS? Or will it result in a throttled and stuttery performance like I experienced with the similar spec'ed prebuild that I already returned? More specifically, has anyone on these forums had any experience with HP Omen PCs with AMD processors inside and the RTX 3080 that could help me decide if this deal is worth it.

From the research I have done, I can find no reviews or information on the HP Omen 5900x build, only those Omen's with the Intel 10700k or 10900k. From what I have read, these HP Omens due to very poor ventilation suffer from heating issues causing the Intel CPUs to run very hot, and worse, that the 3080 GPU overheats easily and throttles down as a result which lowers its performance.

I am also concerned that the RAM if downclocked by HP as I have read, might cause stuttering in MSFS (which likes good RAM), and that I risk being back to where I was at with my previous pre-build, i.e. stuttersville. Maybe I am worrying too much and HP Omen's are good machines. The price is what is making me feel like going for it as it seems like a good deal for a 5900x and RTX 3080 (otherwise if not for the price, I would wait).

On the other hand, if there is a high risk it will run poorly with MSFS, then I may as well wait until next year and see what new hardware comes out (for example pre-builds with Alder Lake and maybe the 3080 Super or the 4000 series). I know waiting is always a bit silly with tech, and I would ordinarily be very happy with the specs of this particular HP Omen, but not if it runs MSFS poorly. So that's my dilemma that I need to decide before Sunday night when the offer is over and really ASAP as it may sell out beforehand. If anyone can give me their advice or feedback or has experience with this type of HP Omen (or with the Intel version), I would be so grateful!!

P.S. In Switzerland it's almost impossible to return products so it's a bigger risk than buying this in Europe or the USA where electronics can be returned (just to keep in mind in terms of risk level if it doesn't work out).

Cheers

Steve

In a word, 

No.

If you want help in who are trusted PC builders then am sure a lot hear will help. 

I find Overclockers UK amazing. But I spec it and they build it. 

I am sure you can get all the help you need, the PC Forums is best Steve, GL.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

9 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Overclockers UK

I used them when I lived in the UK, and I agree they are good but they don't ship to Switzerland.

I can only buy in Switzerland because of the very high customs duty placed on importing products here. All the places that build PCs in Switzerland charge a lot extra. I would be easily looking at an extra $1200 for the same build as the HP Omen to be configured for me. So that's the dilemma....pre-build at a very good price but with potentially stuttery frame rate, or pay a heck of a lot more for a configured machine.

It would be great if anyone with experience of HP Omen could help.

• Like 1

I would recommend watching all 4 parts of this series but i believe this one has the conclusion.  it does include a review of a hp omen.  dont mind the title of the video.  watch it.  very good content media group you should sub to.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

The Ryzen is very hot too, liquid-cooling really matters. It's a good deal and shocking me.

48 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

I know waiting is always a bit silly with tech

I've got my 3090 for CHF 2896.99 in the mid of this year in my place, oh dear.

R9-5950X // 32Gb@3600 // B550 Unify // 3090 TUF OC // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Nuctua D15 // Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 // LG GP-850 1440P@180Hz // HOTAS WARTHOG&TFRP // Windows 11

Sorry for my pathetic English , thank you.😅

21 minutes ago, Icantfly said:

The Ryzen is very hot too, liquid-cooling really matters. It's a good deal and shocking me.

Do you have an HP Omen with a Ryzen or used one? If so, does your GPU throttle back because of the heat in the case and lower performance? When you say it's a good deal and 'shocking you' is it because you think it's such a good price for that setup? And what about the lower spec RAM in relation to MSFS. Is that a big deal?

Edited by steve310002

I would be VERY surprised if 2666 ram was the problem. I suppose it's possible it had a really high CAS that may have affected performance, but to what degree, I am completely unqualified to determine. You can see my specs below, and I get perfectly smooth performance in MSFS - it's like watching a video. I am running a hardware Gsync monitor so that allows me to run any fixed fps, or not fixed at all and still get almost no stutters. Without Gsync or Freesync the ONLY way to get stutter-free performance is matching fps to fixed refresh (usually with some flavor of vsync), either 1-1, or as a whole number fraction 1-2, 1-3, etc. Any non-whole number ratio like 1-1.5, 1-1.7 etc. will ALWAYS cause consistently repeating stutter. Now, a whole host of variables can cause frame pacing problems, including delays in streamed data (internet connection speed/problems; wireless latency etc.)

Bottom line - with no more info than has been provided, it's virtually impossible to asses the cause of the problems you experienced with what should have been a VERY robust system for MSFS.

I guess the decision really comes down to: are you willing to gamble to save $1200, or is it worth $1200 to be certain of your choice - saving $1200 isn't a great deal when stuck with a $2000 system that doesn't do what you want.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I saw a Black Friday offer of a HP Omen PC with a Ryzen 5900x CPU, RTX 3080 and 32GB of 3200 (possibly downclocked by HP to 2600mhz from what I read) for "only" CHF 2000 (Swiss Francs) which is approximately just under the equivalent of $2000.

Nobody has noticed this...? it's a very low price for that configuration, considering that the RTX 3080 alone is currently sold between 1,500 and 2,000 $.

HP Omen may have cooling issues but at that price I'd buy it without thinking and if needed move all the hardware in a better case.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

4 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Nobody has noticed this...? it's a very low price for that configuration, considering that the RTX 3080 alone is currently sold between 1,500 and 2,000 $.

i just bought a new "gaming" computer just to mine the 3070 TI for my FS computer replacing a 1070. (Gigabyte) for 1489.00. I'll use the rest for an updated computer in network to run win11. I never buy built computers and always build my own.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve310002 said:

Do you have an HP Omen with a Ryzen or used one? If so, does your GPU throttle back because of the heat in the case and lower performance?

I can suggest getting the omen then do the following:  get a new case with good airflow, replace the power supply, and replace the motherboard to get control of ram setting, ect.  if the ram is a problem, replace that too.  yes, this will cost you probably $500 but thats better than $1200 right?

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Just now, Brandon01110 said:

I can suggest getting the omen then do the following:  get a new case with good airflow, replace the power supply, and replace the motherboard to get control of ram setting, ect.  if the ram is a problem, replace that too.  yes, this will cost you probably $500 but thats better than $1200 right?

Or replace the entire thing with a better computer. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

do you have a suggested system for him to get?  that info would be more useful to him.

Edited by Brandon01110
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

do you have a suggested system for him to get?  that info would be more useful to him.

I would go to a PC builder in his area and see what they come up with. Don't see buying a new PC and having to change the case, the mother board, the memory, PSU, and then something goes wrong with it, and you are up the creek trying to get the warranty to cover anything. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, steve310002 said:

Do you have an HP Omen with a Ryzen or used one? If so, does your GPU throttle back because of the heat in the case and lower performance? When you say it's a good deal and 'shocking you' is it because you think it's such a good price for that setup? And what about the lower spec RAM in relation to MSFS. Is that a big deal?

Sorry, i build the system up by myself. Yes i do think it's a good price.

Heat matters both on CPU and GPU, a liquid-cooling for the CPU and a bigger or high-rev exhaust fan is highly recommend, GPU will be OK cause it's a 3080 so it'll get a nice heat sink on it, but you need to belch the heat out of the case.

For the RAM 3600MHz is better for Ryzen, but i think 3200MHz will be OK and not noticeable.

• Like 1

R9-5950X // 32Gb@3600 // B550 Unify // 3090 TUF OC // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Nuctua D15 // Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 // LG GP-850 1440P@180Hz // HOTAS WARTHOG&TFRP // Windows 11

Sorry for my pathetic English , thank you.😅

2 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far. There's a lot of food for thought there. I think I will sleep on it and not rush into it. I don't think I want to risk having to take it apart and replace different parts. Even though $2000 is a good deal, it is still risky to dismantle it and reassemble (having never done that before). After my recent pre-build return experience, I am not too confident I will really get a 5900x and 3080 working as they should be in the HP Omen setup, but more so a slightly crippled version. I will need to think over whether I accept waiting another 6 to 9 months to replace my 6700k and GTX 1080 or take the plunge now.

4 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

I would recommend watching all 4 parts of this series but i believe this one has the conclusion.  it does include a review of a hp omen.  dont mind the title of the video.  watch it.  very good content media group you should sub to.

I watched the video. It was very useful. Thanks Brandon. The HP Omen Linus discussed is a couple of generations old but from what I read online about other HP Omen models that are more recent, they sadly still seem to have the same ventilation and heat issues as well as HP crippling certain aspects of the build so they can't reach their full potential which if true would be quite ridiculous.

I notice that most of the big pre-build companies never seem to learn lessons and keep repeating the same pre-build mistakes that they made with their last several generations of releases such as over heating and poor ventilation etc. Which is quite astonishing. Do they not read reviews or care?