Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Content.xml Editor?

14 minutes ago, kt069 said:

As far as I know, Lorby has an organiser for MSFS, as well.But I did not try it.

https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Yep….I was going to kudos to @Lorby_SI Oliver who appears to have taken on the challenge and is converting his amazing P3D Addon Organizer for us with MSFS.

I think this should do what the OP is asking?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

did a little test for inclusion inside addons linker, well to be honest i'm still not sure if it's really useful to edit that file, but well 😜

If i can finish it properly next weekend i'll add it, it's just an option people will certainly not be forced to use it if not needed but maybe it can help those who already edit that file manually 😜

the features could be these :  see what is active or not / see what is not on your system anymore / see the location of each entries (community, official, linker folder) / move up/down (probably wil not make any difference) / auto-remove entries not your system anymore / set the active flag to true or false

🍻

VJcDE2l.png

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Bad_T said:

If i can finish it properly next weekend i'll add it, it's just an option people will certainly not be forced to use it if not needed but maybe it can help those who already edit that file manually 😜

Looks like a cool housekeeping feature! Looking forward to the update.

Thanks again for this indispensable tool.

• Like 1

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

6 hours ago, Bad_T said:

did a little test for inclusion inside addons linker, well to be honest i'm still not sure if it's really useful to edit that file, but well 😜

the features could be these :  see what is active or not / see what is not on your system anymore / see the location of each entries (community, official, linker folder) / move up/down (probably wil not make any difference) / auto-remove entries not your system anymore / set the active flag to true or false

🍻

VJcDE2l.png

Thanks for your efforts. Looks good.

AFAIK, the order of entries plays an important role if you add "remove static a/c at XXXX" add-ons. Many of them appeared in the last two weeks. It is important that their entry in the content.xml is below the XXXX airport entry and thus having a higher priority as the airport itself.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

12 hours ago, Bad_T said:

- move up / move down (just by reading this thread i don't understand if it would make a difference though 😳), i thought it was just the alphabetical order of the addon that gave its priority and the content.xml would not change anything about that, but maybe i'm wrong, never investigated much about this file.

🥂

It does

Scenery loading works as "layers"

The last entry in the content.xml Is the last loaded, making It the TOP layer. 

It Is Easy to understand that if a scenery works over something else (base scenery, Exclusions etc) It Needs to be on top of that scenery

In the case of a reinstallation or deletion of the content.xml, the file Will be generated automatically, alphabetically , in this order:

FS base scenery/ official content/community content 

A wise content Developer should think ahead and name Is package in order to make sure a correctly compiled content.xml won't broke the right order of loading that Is needed for his package to work (and should not abuse of this, otherwise our community Is gonna be full of zzz_)

• Like 2

OMG, this is starting to sound like the scenery.ini nightmare of X-Plane. Some of us just want to fly, not edit text files that then need to be edited again the next time one wants to make a change. I thought MSFS ended that for good. Perhaps more to the point, what am I doing wrong here, since I didn't know that the content.xml file even existed? Do I need to edit this whenever I change an add-on?

Have a good week, everyone. Fingers crossed that we'll see a hotfix for that annoying ground level fog sometime soon.

Edited by jrw4
Typo
  • Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

19 hours ago, jrw4 said:

... Some of us just want to fly, not edit text files that then need to be edited again the next time one wants to make a change. I thought MSFS ended that for good. Perhaps more to the point, what am I doing wrong here, since I didn't know that the content.xml file even existed? Do I need to edit this whenever I change an add-on? ...

Not that I want to edit MSFS files. But for add-ons which depend on each other it may become necessary. It also depends on how add-on developers produce their products and  how MSFS handles it. Until now, luckily, there is no need to edit the content.xml, except some rare cases which I mentioned above.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

as promised, for those who requested something like that, here's my little try at a 'content.xml' editor integrated insde Addons Linker. I can probably easily transform it in a standalone little tool if needed for those who don't use the linker.

Link --> https://gofile.io/d/aRQrCj

if you don't know what it is and never worried about that file in the past then don't worry because you don't need it 👍, it's just for people who like to go a bit further with their sim tweaking.

The zip contains only the EXE file, you still need all the other AddonsLinker files, just replace the EXE.

The image below shows the main feature, should be straighforward if you are used to edit that file manually.

Ta7CbVZ.png

Notes :

• the new screen is available in the 'Tools' menu
  • to move up/down you can also use drag and drop rows (i'm aware that when doing so it does not automatically scroll, for now you need to scroll with the mouse while dragging, good exercice for hand/fingers coordination 🙈😂😜)
  • if you have addons managed by other tools (orbx, other vendor, ...) the tool will obviously not see them if they are not activated and so they will show as 'not found'.
  • there is no reminder to save if you changed something, so you will loose your changes if you forget to click on the save button
  • a backup of the previous content.xml is always saved for now when you click on the save button --> content.xml_backup_<datetime>

probably still needs some tweaking, feedback welcome if you think it should have been done differently.

Thank you 🍻

Edited by Bad_T
added some more notes
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bad_T said:

as promised, for those who requested something like that, here's my little try at a 'content.xml' editor integrated insde Addons Linker. I can probably easily transform it in a standalone little tool if needed for those who don't use the linker.

probably still needs some tweaking, feedback welcome if you think it should have been done differently.

Thank you 🍻

Looking good. Thanks for the added feature.

I have noticed that each time I open the app, I have to navigate to the location of content.xml file to open it.

Would it be possible to add the ability for the app to remember the location of content.xml after first use so that it is not necessary to navigate to it each time?

Thanks

Edited by Barnes

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

yes sure, i can save the selected path.

I thought the file would be opened automatically, on my system it's located in the folder mentioned below so the tool will look there by default and open it automatically (if found). I thought the location would be the same for everyone (but i have Steam version, maybe MS-Store version has files elsewhere)

By default, the tool looks for the content.xml file in this folder --> %appdata%\Microsoft Flight Simulator

which resolves to -- > C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

@Barnescan you please maybe tell me where your file is located ?

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad_T said:

yes sure, i can add the selected path.

I thought the file would be opened automatically, on my system it's located here so the tool will look there by default and open it (if found). I thought the location would be the same for everyone (but i have Steam version, maybe MS-Store version has files elsewhere)

the tools looks for the content.xml file in this folder --> %appdata%\Microsoft Flight Simulator

which resolves to -- > C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

@Barnescan you please maybe tell me where your file is located ?

I am using MS-Store version.

Location for content.xml for me is --> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

• Like 1

David Webster

3 minutes ago, Barnes said:

Location for content.xml for me is --> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Same for me - also on MS-Store version.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

oh i see 🙈, thanks guys, yeah it's a competely different folder.

It's probably the same for every MS-Store user so it would be a good idea to add that folder also in the automatic detection. Saving the choosen one seems a good idea anyway so i will add that too.

🍻

Edited by Bad_T
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bad_T said:

oh i see 🙈, thanks guys, yeah it's a competely different folder.

It's probably the same for every MS-Store user so it would be a good idea to add that folder also in the automatic detection. Saving the choosen one seems a good idea anyway so i will add that too.

🍻

Not sure it is reading the file correctly for me.

I have a number of water fix files showing as ACTIVE in the actual file when opened with notepad, but they show as AVAILABLE through the new tool.

It almost looks like the tool is predicting the content.xml based on currently selected files in AddonLinker.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, mamu82 said:

A wise content Developer should think ahead and name Is package in order to make sure a correctly compiled content.xml won't broke the right order of loading that Is needed for his package to work (and should not abuse of this, otherwise our community Is gonna be full of zzz_)

It's not a matter of being "wise" or not. The SDK dictates that, in order to be accepted on the MS Marketplace, a package should follow a specific naming convention that for airport sceneries (which are the ones affected by the loading order ) is: developer-airport-icao-airportname

So, unless airport developers will all start renaming themselves with a Z, relying on the package name is not a solution, also considering the automatic sorting triggered by removing the CONTENT.XML will result in areas in the Official folder always getting a lower priority than areas in the Community folder so, what if you have an add-on bought from the Marketplace that *must* stay on top of something in the Community to work ? Its name won't help so, rearraging the CONTENT.XML would be required in any way, regardless how the two packages were named.

Yes, we (and many other developers ) are trying to convince Microsoft/Asobo an UI like FSX had is required in the sim but, until then, it might be useful having an utility doing that, for those that find difficult editing the file manually.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1