Sign in to follow this  
flightyjoe

Wanted to revisit FSX Steam edition but.....

I uninstalled it a while ago, but i really want to give it a go to compare to MSFS in a very geeky way, to get a feel of what i was happy with not long ago enough to sink 100 hours into it anyway.

(i also have flight sim world, remember that?)

But i go to install it again via steam and it says it needs to download some, i think, c++ stuff.

My fear, will this in anyway affect MSFS?

May seem a silly question but i am in a sweet spot with MSFS and don't want to mess it up...

Any idea if its ok just to go ahead and install it again?

Ryzen 5 3600 / RTX 2070 8GB / 2x8 RAM/

Nope, no problem at all. I took exactly the same path: I had P3D 4.5 installed, then I purchased MSFS (at Steam), and then I reinstalled FSX-SE. Steam itself will make sure it's in two different folders. Go ahead 😉

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Should be no issue mate , have fun on your time travel back to the past . 

I run FSX:SE and MSFS side by side with no issues.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Like going back to a VHS machine.

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

2 hours ago, flightyjoe said:

But i go to install it again via steam and it says it needs to download some, i think, c++ stuff.

It needs the MSVC redistributables. These are simple base libraries that programs complied with MS Visual Studio in C, C++, or C# use to perform basic functions. You should have 3 or more installed, 2005, 2008, 2010, and I think there are 2013 and 2019 versions as well. These are perfectly safe to install, and will not affect any other programs you have installed negatively. Just don't delete any of the older ones when you install the newer ones. Some older programs might still be using them.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Steam keeps game required redistributables in the main Steam folder.

As I've installed Steam into D:\Games, the path on my machine is as below.

D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist

Yours will be in a similar path depending on where you've installed Steam which ideally shouldn't be in one of the "Program Files" directories.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

9 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Like going back to a VHS machine.

But Bob...those tapes...I have boxes of 'em...mostly kids...vacation, building the new house (then)...you know...stuff...lol.  Some said that they are thinking at this point of deleting their FSX, or P3D sims.  For myself...I won't be, simply for the reason that they are truly self contained, and if your ISP goes down, your cable moden goes down...and in fact, I just had to replace mine as my 5G became intermittent.  So...as long as MSFS requires one to have an active internet connection, I will still use P3D v5.2 at the cottage, in the R.V.  where only a computer and a connected hard drive is needed. Also, stuff like that... 🙂

I turned off Bing data and photogrammetry while I was working on adding elevation data and a new base image for BWI airport. I forgot to turn it back on before starting a regular flight. Once airborne, I noticed the sim sorta looked like P3D. I completed the flight like that and it wasn't all that bad of an experience. It felt like P3D only smoother.

If Orbx released all of their old sceneries for MSFS, we could probably fly it offline all the time just fine.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440