jmelvin64

MSFS - FSUIPC7 - RCV4 works?

Just wondering if anyone has had success using RCV4 with MSFS and FSUIPC7? Or even tried?

WW4261.png 
P3d V5.2 | FSUIPC 6 | PMDG 737 | QW 787 | ACTIVE SKY | FLIGHTBEAM | FS DREAMTEAM | ORBX | RCv4 |FDC Live Cockpit 
i7 8700K  4.7GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super |  ASROC MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung SSD 250GB  | Corsair H115i Pro | 32GB DDR4 2666 | Windows 10 

Is there a version of MakeRunways that is compatible with MSFS?

Unless the runway and airport data can be extracted into a compatible format it won’t work. Pete or John Dowson would be able to answer that question.

There are likely to be other factors too but that’s the big one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, there is. It's here.
https://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/MakeRwys.zip

As an experiment I've "rented" MSFS for a month. (Game Pass) and I was successful in connecting through FSUIPC7.  Using ShowText is a must. And also making sure the co-pilot in MSFS is disabled on ATC. He keeps resetting the radios.

but as other's have posted, ( I could have done a better job at searching before posting)

• It does not read the weather. Altimeter was read out as 00.00.
  • It does not read your altitude correctly. I was passed off to a higher controller at 15000 and my pilot read I was at 49500 climbing to 24000. 🤯 Therefore, RCV4 kept admonishing me for busting my clearance.

So, as of this posting, RCV4 is unusable in MSFS.   

WW4261.png 
P3d V5.2 | FSUIPC 6 | PMDG 737 | QW 787 | ACTIVE SKY | FLIGHTBEAM | FS DREAMTEAM | ORBX | RCv4 |FDC Live Cockpit 
i7 8700K  4.7GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super |  ASROC MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung SSD 250GB  | Corsair H115i Pro | 32GB DDR4 2666 | Windows 10 

Well done for giving it a try. Maybe when the SDK is more complete it might work better.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi All, 

I wanted to update this old thread to see if anyone may have more insight to using RCv4 with FSUIPC7 and MSFS.

I am successful in completing flights with RC.  From what I can tell, RC works for almost all features.

• I ran makerwys successfully and it could tell where I was at any given airport.
  • Knew I was at a holding point, and when I entered the runway.
  • It interacted very well with AI aircraft ( I have FSLTL installed ) and was accurate giving me traffic warnings.
  • Vectored me correctly to a runway.

There two areas however, that won't work.     

1. It can't read the weather, altimeter or metar.
  2. It can't read the altitude of your aircraft.
    This is basically just annoying as it keeps telling you you've busted your altitude. After the last admonishment, it just keeps saying maintain X altitude.
    However, near the TOD it will then tell you to descend and it goes away.   

For altitude, I used FS interrogate to find why it was not reading it and I came up with nothing. In both P3DV5 and MSFS I parked an aircraft at KLAX and read two variables. I'm guessing that RC reads one of them to get the plane's altitude. They both read the altitude correctly.  

FSUIPC 6 (Works with RCv4)

0570,  "Altitude of aircraft",  "S64",  8 bytes Value: 134.13549

6020,  "FS2004 GPS Altitude",  "FLT64",  8 bytes Value: 134.13547

MSFS 7 (Does not work with RCv4)

0570,  "Altitude of aircraft",  "S64",  8 bytes Value: 124.6316

6020,  "FS2004 GPS Altitude",  "FLT64",  8 bytes Value: 124.63162

I'm asking here because maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? If so, what variable from FSUIPC does RC take to read the planes altitude?
I tried the email for JD and Rick and it bounced back. 

My idea is that maybe a LUA script can be created to send the correct altitude and weather to RC? Just a thought.

Thanks.   

Edited by jmelvin64
Updated info.

WW4261.png 

James, I have no plans to buy MSFS.

I’ll check a lua script I’m using on a network PC for the altitude variable. It should be in the FSUIPC documentation folder. Have you looked there?

Regarding the altitude problem you could try turning off the vertical watchdog. I can’t recall the exact menu item but it does exist. I’ve used it on Concorde flights when the climb rate is < 200fpm. That’s the trigger climb rate to tell you off.

Check the menu items once you’re 25nm from your departure airport. And well done for your persistence. 👏

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Using FSUIPC v6.1.7 the altitude is stored in offset 3324, Type S16.

If you log that offset and display it in the Windows Title Bar you can monitor it.

Details in FSUIPCn Offsets Status.pdf page 48.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the info. Now I know the alt problem is related to RC not reading the altimeter setting. 

I'm going to try and create a lua around FSUIPC's ability spoof certain offsets (0X0024) to see if that will work.

Also, the deviations setting in RC can be altered to 10000 feet so I'll see if that stops the warnings. 

Thanks again.   

• Upvote 1

WW4261.png 

On 6/15/2023 at 9:35 PM, jmelvin64 said:

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the info. Now I know the alt problem is related to RC not reading the altimeter setting. 

I'm going to try and create a lua around FSUIPC's ability spoof certain offsets (0X0024) to see if that will work.

Also, the deviations setting in RC can be altered to 10000 feet so I'll see if that stops the warnings. 

Thanks again.   

Hello James,

Any luck with this LUA script to read the altitude variable?

Hi Samaritano, 

Sorry for the delay in responding. The short answer is not really.

I downloaded a LUA script created by John Dowson here:
MSFS & Altitude issue on STD barometer - FSUIPC7 MSFS - The simFlight Network Forums

Using this as an example I created a LUA script based on John's which puts the plane's barometer setting into a weather offset for RCv4. It still reads 00.00 while on the ground, but after takeoff, if you do an altimeter check it will tell you what the plane's altimeter is.   

Put all below in text file and name it (whatever.lua) then run that automatically.

==== 

local spoofOffset = 0xC028 -- Current Pressure (2 bytes)

-- Loop forever
while true do

-- Get value of Altimeter Setting
  Altimeter = ipc.readSW(0x0EC6)

-- and write it via 0024 as overrides to those being read 
  ipc.writeStruct(0x0024, "1UW", spoofOffset, "1UW", 2, "1SW", Altimeter)

-- Sleep for 100 mSecs so the update gets done roughly 10 times per second
  ipc.sleep(100)

end
=======

Lastly, set RCv4 altitude deviation setting to 10000.

GENERAL => Deviations Box => Altitude

With this it's hit or miss, but you can fly some routes successfully. It usually becomes a problem if RCv4 thinks you've "Busted your crossing restriction". I just ignore it.
The pilot still reads about 5000 above where you are.  And it is very slow sometimes to work. 

RCv4 can't read the current weather because FSUIPC7 still can't read it from MSFS. I tried many times to spoof the Metar, but I can't get it to work.  

I've stopped trying to find a solution because Beyond ATC was supposed to be coming out soon. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Soundman
Updating info