Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

Experiment - Turned Off Photogrammetry

I too have quite some stutters with PG on, even in non-intensive regions. E.g. a couple of days ago I flew from A Coruna airport, all smooth EXCEPT for when I was looking into the direction of photogrammetric A Coruna city. This reduced my FPS by 80% for a couple of seconds, every time. I think quality/performance of PG varies between different cities and does not necessarily have to do with the size of the city.
I can usually still handle it by reducing LOD, but it's annoying.

Important: I did not notice PG to be that heavy before SU6-7, so I think something has changed here for the worse, performance-wise (probably together with those new LOD settings).

The photogrammetry has never ever appealed to me, it looks horrible and I tried it for maybe 30 mins in total since I got the game in May this year. The result is that even on this old crate of a PC I get 37-42 FPS with a low of 30 in some areas. I'll take that. 

I never use the melted buildings, so I use the "all buildings have satellite dishes" option.

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

So I was having major photogrammetry issues since su7 launched. If I loaded into any airport surrounded by photo I'd have low fps 22-25 with high mainthread timings and low gpu usage. Regardless of plane. Fbw 320 or c152. Pre su7 I'd be up near 60 fps in the c152. 

I tried turning off photogrammetry and that fixed the issues. But I wasn't happy with that. I for one enjoy photogrammetry. I have fast internet and pre su7 never had issues .

I decided to reinstall the Sim for the first time and the issues were fixed. No more issues when loading into a photogrammetry airport. I then reinstalled all of the World updates and then the same aforementioned photogrammetry issues came back. 

So I then uninstalled the wu again, restarted the Sim, and everything worked great again. I have to thus conclude its something bugged in one of the wu's.

I was going to reinstall the wu one by one but I have a newborn and not a ton of time and it's too much of a laborious process to isolate which wu is causing the issue, but I thought I'd explain what im finding in case anyone who is having troubles wants to try this and see if it fixes their issues. I did however reinstall the USA world update and the Sim remained stable and performance akin to pre su7 levels. So I think it's one of the other ones.

Thanks 

Amd 5900x 3080ti 32 gb of ram. 

• Like 6

On 11/29/2021 at 5:14 AM, MrBitstFlyer said:

Give the Google Map addon a go.  Super easy to use and the areas you fly may have very good data.  Even in the UK and USA,  Many areas in Google maps are far better than Bing.

Thanks, yes have been meaning to give it a try 🙂

On 11/29/2021 at 9:01 AM, YMMB said:

I agree scenery is more detailed in SU7.

Are you sure about the Bing data / Bing maps, in my case the in-sim scenery shows the solar panels on my house roof and latest extension to our house which was only completed at the end of 2019.

Also shows the new extension to Bundora Parade called Duigan Drive at YMMB which opened last year.

the gold coast area is quite old. It may not all be old, but It still shows the light rail construction, smith street / north road still has a culdesac (not a boat ramp), Jupiter's is called jupiters (not star) etc. 

9 hours ago, jer2929 said:

So I was having major photogrammetry issues since su7 launched. If I loaded into any airport surrounded by photo I'd have low fps 22-25 with high mainthread timings and low gpu usage. Regardless of plane. Fbw 320 or c152. Pre su7 I'd be up near 60 fps in the c152. 

I tried turning off photogrammetry and that fixed the issues. But I wasn't happy with that. I for one enjoy photogrammetry. I have fast internet and pre su7 never had issues .

I decided to reinstall the Sim for the first time and the issues were fixed. No more issues when loading into a photogrammetry airport. I then reinstalled all of the World updates and then the same aforementioned photogrammetry issues came back. 

So I then uninstalled the wu again, restarted the Sim, and everything worked great again. I have to thus conclude its something bugged in one of the wu's.

I was going to reinstall the wu one by one but I have a newborn and not a ton of time and it's too much of a laborious process to isolate which wu is causing the issue, but I thought I'd explain what im finding in case anyone who is having troubles wants to try this and see if it fixes their issues. I did however reinstall the USA world update and the Sim remained stable and performance akin to pre su7 levels. So I think it's one of the other ones.

Thanks 

Amd 5900x 3080ti 32 gb of ram. 

Interesting observation...worth investigating when I get some time too.

2 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

Interesting observation...worth investigating when I get some time too.

I posted on the main MSFS forums as well and a few others have tried it out and had luck. Hopefully some will find it helpful!

• Like 1