Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

FS9 Airports in FSX ?

I thought that it may be worth starting a thread for simmers to identify any third party / freeware FS9 scenery that they have managed to port successfully to FSX.I have tried a few, but so far without too much success as there appears to be bleed through of the ground which tends to loose taxiways / runways. Also some airport buildings do not port too well either.Just wondered whether any FS9 airport sceneries actually can be ported to FSX ?Any experiences would be useful to all.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

In FS9 the world is flat, in FSX the world is round. I guess porting from FS9 to FSX will seldom give good results.

Not being funny, but how far does the earth curve in a 2 mile radius airport ! Does anyone know if the FSX SP1 will resolve any of these incompatibilities - e.g. allow 'flatten' commands?Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Some of the scenery designers say three to six feet over the area of a major airport.Most aircraft will have the wheels completely hidden most of the time. The 'ground' will be up to the belly of the aircraft in some places.Or the floating aircraft will be present.Another point, is sceneries made with SCASM type macros and objects may or may not display, but if any ASM object is within 100-150 nm of the user aircraft, it really hits FPS/ performance.

Given the above feedback / comments, from people that obviously understand these things far more than me, is the answer therefore that no airport scenery designed for FS9, will actually work in FSX without modification ?If so, then I shall give up trying to port existing sceneries.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

I wouldn't say NO FS9 scenery works - I just haven't heard much about success - especially with complex payware scenery.Replacing default ground textures with custom textures seems to be a major problem - thus the bleed through issues you described.

>Given the above feedback / comments, from people that>obviously understand these things far more than me, is the>answer therefore that no airport scenery designed for FS9,>will actually work in FSX without modification ?>>If so, then I shall give up trying to port existing>sceneries.>>Cheers,>StuartI've successfully imported several FS9 airports thatI customized or were downloads. I did, however, have to make some modifications in most cases.I recall having to eliminate the FS9 excludes and createnew FSX excludes in a couple of cases. I also had did some FS9 AFCAD to FSX conversions. Each instance was unique and took some trial and error to find out what needed to be done. Not something the"casual" user should attempt. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hi,On this subject, I tried to import China_airports from W. Orthmann from FS9 to FSX, because I often fly in China, and there are many airports missing in FSX.The runways, taxiways and buildings are correctly imported, but I got around each airports bottomless holes, with terrain anomalies around them (see attached pictures).Is there a simple way to suppress these anomalies ?Thanks for your response !Alain

It looks like my first attempt to make an airport with SBuilderX.The airport polygons probably don't have an elevation in FS2004, but they need one in FSX - or it might be a feet vs meters thing. Not sure.These airports are going to take some work in FSX specifics before we can have all of them back.

On first glance, looks like a flatten is way off. ??Without looking at your .bgl(s) and seeing what elevation the whole area is supposed to be, it's a little hard to pinpoint, but I'd say it's a bad flatten.There are two programs, SBuilderX and FS_KML, that can be used to fix that problem.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Paul,Intresting to note that you have managed to import several airports with some creation of FSX Excludes. I have read the SDK and I am afraid that I don't fully understand how to create these FSX Excludes. If you are able to help in outlining how to do this, it would be most useful.Alternatively, it would be great if anyone out in the simming community that manages to successfully port airports into FSX, perhaps with new excludes, could perhaps upload those new excludes, with details of the original airport files (zip name perhaps), so that those less capable could take advantage of using some of the great freeware / payware airports from FS9.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hello Alain,Those holes are due to a bug in the FS X terrain definitions. Airport backgrounds in FS 9 did not flatten, but do in FS X. So, any FS 9 airports brought into FS X will display those holes.If you have installed the FS X modified terrain.cfg (available in the Avsim library) at:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...scen&DLID=93289then it will fix that problem.As for the original question, just about all FS 9 airports will work in FS X, with some minor details that will most likely be fixed in the patch.Best regards.Luis

>Paul,>Intresting to note that you have managed to import several>airports with some creation of FSX Excludes. I have read the>SDK and I am afraid that I don't fully understand how to>create these FSX Excludes. If you are able to help in>outlining how to do this, it would be most useful.>>Alternatively, it would be great if anyone out in the simming>community that manages to successfully port airports into FSX,>perhaps with new excludes, could perhaps upload those new>excludes, with details of the original airport files (zip name>perhaps), so that those less capable could take advantage of>using some of the great freeware / payware airports from FS9.>>Cheers,>StuartI've used a program titled "Exclusion Builder for FSX.exe" by Paavo Pihelgas. I also use FSX_KML.Go on over to www.fsdeveloper.com and have a look around theforums there. You will find more information and links than any one person should have time to digest :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg