Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Putting the current version to a rest

As I remember, infrastructure changes were discouraged but we did them anyway.

Guaranteed to cause problems but...

Cheers

bs.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Stuff you would consider would not be changed in the background has happened to me.   Since SU7 the FLC action only disconnected the autopilot in the 787-10 HD mod.  Now, out of nowhere, it's working as it did pre-SU7.  Not sure how else to explane it really.

Addendum:  the click spots aren't centered on buttons in the HD Dev Version I'm using is all it was.  This also started after SU7!  This mod has been updated for SU7, but I prefer some aspects of the prior Dev Version so will stick with that for now.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Hello all,

first of all, normally I am not one of all these complainers and bashing people. I have had quite a lot of enjoying hours with this sim. But this today was a bit too much. I will put the current version of MSFS to a rest at least until a hotfix for the most urgent issues is out.

I just had a flight with the Baron B58 from LEMI to LEIB in southeastern Spain, IFR lower levels. Live time, live weather. Yes, I verified my settings before flight to make sure that no setting were reset to "easy" or something else. It all started well until rolling to the runway, when I already noticed a slight tendency of the rudder to the left. But that might be due to wind I thought. Until I began my fast roll on the runway. It was almost not controllable at all, the plane went randomly left and right. Somehow I made it in the air. So far so good, being on a GFS flight plan I set my autopilot to NAV mode. Shortly after that I noticed on my PFD, that the CDI mode was switched to VOR2 (wich was not in use). And it was stuck to that, I tried everything to switch it back to GPS mode, but it did not work. I just gave up and went on with my climb, when ATC told me to climb and maintain 15000 (instead of the 6000 I put in the flight plan. So ok, I already got used to those kind of ATC problems and requested a flight level change 8000 feet below. That lead to a request of "-2000" feet. So the ATC window logic thought I would be at the filed 6000 feet, but the virtual controller thought I was at 15.000. So I went on to 15.000 when I was told to descend and maintain 9.000. Not knowing where this number came from I did as requested, before I was asked again to climb to 15.000. I wish there was a "unable" option in the menu. So I just ignored that and got hammered with "expedite your climb" calls for the rest of the flight. When reaching my destination airport (as somehow expected) my plane did a sudden sharp turn to the left on the runway on touchdown that put the plane on it's side and in the grass next to the runway.

Conclusion: I am a software developer myself, and I clearly know about the daily business of creating and dealing with bugs. But this was a bit too much, especially when thinking about how long this product is already out. That has been the most buggy flight since the very early times of the new MSFS. Not really enjoyable, especially if rolling on the runways seems to be completely broken for me now since the last update. How can all this not be seen during testing?

That was really frustrating. Sorry, could not resist to share my frustration this time. Hopefully all this will be sorted out as soon as possible.

I understand your frustrations. Many of us are frustrated with the current state of the sim, especially now after SU7. 

The weather is a bit weird, there have been several bugs introduced with the latest updates. (Solution is don't use real weather, use a preset or set it like you want it).

About the plane pulling hard left or right on takeoff is also a bug affecting other aircraft. To a degree where there is no possible way to keep the plane straight, even if you have a 7 knot headwind and nothing else. I haven't bothered reporting it in these forums because the default answer is "you're doing something wrong". (I don't know the solution to this, could be something with trim settings. But it doesn't happen all the time).

ATC is garbage. VFR can be usable, but IFR is a non starter. It will descend you into mountains, tell you to climb up and down all the time, or make you change frequencies multiple times as soon as you have changed it. (Solution to this is to not use ATC.)

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

13 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

What is your definition of a serious sim though?

I practiced all of my PPL flights in the 'sim' before flying them for real the same day.  I followed the real world checklists, real world maps, used satellite imagery and used a top notch addon aircraft.  Pre-flight planning was done with foreflight and Real VFR maps. I used the same stopwatch I used in the aircraft too.  The real world flight looked just the same out the window, and all the navaids and ground features were used the same.  The weather matched pretty good too, especially the visibility.  I would say that was a serious sim and it helped my training massively.

In MSFS the G1000Nxi is steadily becoming a close match to the real unit.  I subscribe to Foreflight and Jeppesen charts and can practice real world procedures.  I'm not sure why some are so resistant that a home sim like MSFS can be used in a 'serious' way.

For me this is proof that MSFS is as much as it can be - a real sim. I am not a real pilot, I just enjoy the thrill of aviation across the whole planet from my armchair. I see many real world pilots online - including Airbus and 747 pilots giving of their knowledge and experience using MSFS. This means more to me than whether there are bugs and issues - which indeed there are.

I am not suffering much since upgrading my PC and SU7. The OP's issues are not ones I have seen with any default or addon planes I have - expect the JF Arrow once or twice. So not sure what his problem is - I do understand the frustration and a break may be in order. For me I can't take a break however bad it gets sometimes.

I had really horrific problems with CTDs and performance after SU5 but mostly it turned our to be a Motherboard error on my PC not the sim. So it's worth investigating one's system closely - there are few software packages that stress a system as much as a flight simulator, so other games, and programs may work perfectly - even 4k video editing and music software - but the sim will find your weak point - your controllers, hardware or something else - and it may or may not be a bug.

Take heart and stick with it I reckon.

• Like 3

I intend to revisit MFS  when the "gliders update" takes place.

Given the accuracy of the world visuals on the area I fly IRL it could become an interesting tranning environment for soaring tasks.

I just hope the flight dynamics get updated to something that can make a glider handle more or less like a real world glider, unlike the gliders so far ported to MFS that are even worst than anything I have tried for FSX... Also hope they bring some soaring weather...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 11/28/2021 at 8:19 AM, N314SC said:

I just bought the GOTY edition, and as a simmer for the last 35 years, I am disappointed....appalled really, at how rubbish MSFS is. I waited over a year hoping most of the bugs would get worked out, but other than the stunning visuals, this is not a serious sim. I guess the fact that it was designed as a game for a console should have been a clue.... Oh, well, back to P3D.

I don't play the "my sim is better" games generally; I figure people can do what they want.  But statements like this puzzle me.  I mean, in the last couple weeks I've had the following experiences in MSFS:

- a practice GA IFR flight where I departed Bremerton in the turbo bonanza with the G1000NXi in variable weather with rain and fog in the area, on VATSIM.  Picked up a hold-for-release clearance on the ground, advised Seattle approach when number one ready to go, and took off into towering CU on vectors for the ILS 17 at Tacoma Narrows.  Encountered real-world varying conditions enroute, hand flew the ILS 17 backed up with the RNAV course, broke out of ragged ceilings and 1sm vis for a touch and go. Checked in on the go, requested vectors for the RNAV 35.  Received excellent vectors, just saw the REILs at LPV mins.  Continued until runway environment in sight, then flew the published missed.  Once established in the hold requested the RNAV 02 back into Bremerton.  Was cleared direct the IAF to execute a hold-in-lieu of the procedure turn, then handed off to advisory.  Flew the approach to LPV mins.  Cleared the runway, switched back to approach, canceled IFR and thanked him for his help.  The most annoyingly non-realistic part of the entire flight was that the gas pumps are not in the correct place at Bremerton.  But I guess this wasn't serious simming...

- Used the DC Designs Stearman to re-create several flights I've made in the real world, in the Puget Sound area and near Galesburg, IL.  Found that complex aerodynamic scenarios such as spins, hammerheads, and curving approaches slipping through a turn, all work much better than I've seen in any previous sim.  Flown several legs near Galesburg using only pilotage and dead reckoning (real-world time-speed-distance and wind correction calculations) to find several small grass strips we visited when we were at the national Stearman fly-in.  Finding them was a realistic challenge as they blend in to the landscape correctly, without appearing as a blank rectangle in the scenery.  (This was all using default scenery by the way.)  But I guess that wasn't serious simming...

- used real-world dead reckoning supplemented with celestial navigation (using the free sextant add-on and real-world sight reduction tables and plotting) to manage long flights between small south Pacific islands, with no radio nav-aids or GPS.  But I guess that wasn't serious simming either. 

Can you help me out, and tell me what serious simming is? I must be doing it wrong...  😁

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

3 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Can you help me out, and tell me what serious simming is? I must be doing it wrong...  😁

"Serious simming" is the current AVSIM version of mine is bigger than yours  and nothing more 🙂

Graham

• Like 9

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, Bobsk8 said:

X Plane has been making micro steps for years in it's development. Now they need to make a 100 yard dash to catch up. Don't think they can do it, frankly. 

The paradigm has shifted,   XP needs to form a relationship with Google if it wants to survive in this sector.   Just imo.

22 hours ago, Moria15 said:

"Serious simming" is the current AVSIM version of mine is bigger than yours  and nothing more 🙂

Graham

And a way to distance themselves from the 'Xbox crowd'

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

18 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

The paradigm has shifted,   XP needs to form a relationship with Google if it wants to survive in this sector.   Just imo.

Never going to happen. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 11/30/2021 at 2:51 AM, Stearmandriver said:

Can you help me out, and tell me what serious simming is? I must be doing it wrong... 

Thanks so much for this. Some of us feel exactly this way, but read all of the problems others seem to be having and wonder what's going on. Perhaps it is the folks with highest expectations that feel most aggrieved, but some of the complaints I have seen in the past ten days seem somewhat unreasonable.

There are inherent limitations in a desktop simulator that we need to live with. Those who feel they can't accept that, might wish to visit their local FBO and schedule their first/next flight.

Cheers.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

We really should have a thread called "I hate MSFS" where everyone could just post whatever whine they have and cry a bit without being judged or laughed at. 

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

It's a mixed bag.  I can say without reservation this is the best flight simulation experience I've had since my RW flying days.  Overall, I'm enjoying it.

However, it can be frustrating when some of the aircraft I flew before the last update are now unflyable, takeoff and touchdown with some aircraft have become uncontrollable, etc.  The point is, all of these items were working fine before and now they are not.  I am not a software engineer, though I have many years of experience with optimizing operating systems and fine-tuning software.  I can't understand how you make changes that break something, don't verify that everything is correct and then publish it with portions broken.  I understand that this is a very complex system and that things are going to slip through but these issues are not small.

Again, I am enjoying this sim every day - I'm just making many more reports via Zendesk and hoping that a constant flow of information will help them resolve or be more aware of issues.  😏

• Like 1

Randall Rocke