Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

To PhilTaylor/Aces - DX9.0c install question

Hi folks, Now I know you are busy and I do not want to bother you too much, but when you have a moment could one of you please comment on DX9.0c v9.18.944 4/10/2007. I have tried emailing and seaching Microsoft's site but I have not been able to get anywhere. I tried installing the newest version "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" the other day which I found here at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...aao1pQY5g%3d%3d and when running dxdiag it appeared that none of the files contained within the dxdiag GUI were updated. I was kindly directed by another forum member to download the DirectX End-User Runtimes (April 2007) found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en which contained the directx-apr2007-redist.exeAfter unzipping the download (please see screenshot) I ran the DXSETUP.exe and managed to install files dated 2007 but found there remained several .cab and a few .dll files. Below are the updated files and the screenshot. My question is, based on the fact that there are updated files contained in the dxdiag GUI and being that there remain the other .cab and .dll files, should I consider that I have the latest version of DirectX installed on my system? Should anything be done with the .cab and .dll files? It seems that the DirectX End-User Runtimes (April 2007) link was the only link useful to me and the other forum member.Thanks in advance if you could answer and I look forward to hearing from you.Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll: 9.05.0132.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:59 473600 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 5.04.0000.3900 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:54 2676224 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.04.0091.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:55 2846720 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.05.0132.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:55 563712 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.06.0168.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:56 567296 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.07.0239.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:56 576000 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.08.0299.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:57 577024 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.09.0376.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:57 577536 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.10.0455.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:58 577536 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.11.0519.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:58 578560 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.12.0589.0000 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:38:00 578560 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:38:00 145920 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:38:00 159232 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:38:00 364544 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:38:01 178176 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:59 53248 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:59 12800 bytesMicrosoft.DirectX.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 4/18/2007 01:37:59 223232 bytes Here is the DXsetup once unzipped:http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/ma...-apr-19-001.jpg

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest emkramer

Wow, that's a heck of a quick launch you have there.

Single click my friend, no hangups if you click more than twice on a shortcut.

\Robert Hamlich/

re: your quick launchThat's a known performance degrader to have it loaded down like that. Consider changing it.re: DXLook at the version stamps on all of the files. That is the method to determine what you've got. It is possible (meaning I have seen) DX installs with varying file ver stamps. DX is the one thing that does not behave well when uninstalling.I am not sure why you are asking the question, unless you are attempting to troubleshoot a performance problem that you suspect might be related to a mismatch.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest brillo

Rob et al,I agree with Rob. My "TASKBAR" looks just like his. Taskbar Icons are just easy-access shortcuts. Someone else mentioned this once before so I checked; there was/is no difference in any measurable performance variable with a full row of shortcuts in Taskbar. I also agree that a bunch of programs in Quick Launch can result in Performance Degradation, but Quick Launch is to the right of the <<. Looks like Rob only has 5 or 6 programs in Quick Launch...As for the DX question, I'm assuming that every new (~monthly) DX redist contains all the files necessary to install Dx from scratch; those other .cabs and .dlls remaining after installation are older files that the installer doesn't even bother with because, in this case, they're already installed. But I, too, would like to know rather than assume. C'mon all you DX gurus.Rob (different Rob)Central Oregon

>re: your quick launch>That's a known performance degrader to have it loaded down>like that. Consider changing it.>>re: DX>Look at the version stamps on all of the files. That is the>method to determine what you've got. It is possible (meaning>I have seen) DX installs with varying file ver stamps. DX is>the one thing that does not behave well when uninstalling.>>I am not sure why you are asking the question, unless you are>attempting to troubleshoot a performance problem that you>suspect might be related to a mismatch.>>Rhettre: your quick launchThat's a known performance degrader to have it loaded down like that. Consider changing it.re: DXLook at the version stamps on all of the files. That is the method to determine what you've got. It is possible (meaning I have seen) DX installs with varying file ver stamps. DX is the one thing that does not behave well when uninstalling.I am not sure why you are asking the question, unless you are attempting to troubleshoot a performance problem that you suspect might be related to a mismatch.RhettHello Rhett,I

\Robert Hamlich/

>Rob et al,>>I agree with Rob. My "TASKBAR" looks just like his. Taskbar>Icons are just easy-access shortcuts. Someone else mentioned>this once before so I checked; there was/is no difference in>any measurable performance variable with a full row of>shortcuts in Taskbar. >>I also agree that a bunch of programs in Quick Launch can>result in Performance Degradation, but Quick Launch is to the>right of the <<. Looks like Rob only has 5 or 6 programs in>Quick Launch...>>As for the DX question, I'm assuming that every new (~monthly)>DX redist contains all the files necessary to install Dx from>scratch; those other .cabs and .dlls remaining after>installation are older files that the installer doesn't even>bother with because, in this case, they're already installed. >>>But I, too, would like to know rather than assume. C'mon all>you DX gurus.>>>Rob (different Rob)>Central Oregon> Hello Rob,I

\Robert Hamlich/

First, this is way outside my area. MS has >70,000 employees in 7 large divisions. DX is in Windows, they are on a separate campus that takes 10-15 min to drive to, Aces is a consumer of DX just like you are.The 1st link is the right one, the 2nd link is the developer redist. Either one should work the same, if they dont that sounds like a bug to me.From the first web site you used I see it states:Additional InformationThe DirectX end-user installation includes all the latest and previous released DirectX runtime. This includes the bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components. So those other cabs are just the previously released bits. Which is why they are dated the way they are.

>First, this is way outside my area. MS has >70,000 employees>in 7 large divisions. DX is in Windows, they are on a separate>campus that takes 10-15 min to drive to, Aces is a consumer of>DX just like you are.>>The 1st link is the right one, the 2nd link is the developer>redist. Either one should work the same, if they dont that>sounds like a bug to me.>>From the first web site you used I see it states:>>Additional Information>The DirectX end-user installation includes all the latest and>previous released DirectX runtime. This includes the>bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components. >>So those other cabs are just the previously released bits.>Which is why they are dated the way they are.Hi Phil,Thanks for taking some time out to reply and I appreciate your input. I think that we got everything pretty much figured out and the additional information you included says it all. I just wish that MS had a way for me to notify them of a potential bug. If anyone was successful in installing the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer let me know, I am really curious if it is an isolated case or if MS has an issue here.Cheers,

\Robert Hamlich/

>Rob et al,>>I agree with Rob. My "TASKBAR" looks just like his. Taskbar>Icons are just easy-access shortcuts. Someone else mentioned>this once before so I checked; there was/is no difference in>any measurable performance variable with a full row of>shortcuts in Taskbar. >>I also agree that a bunch of programs in Quick Launch can>result in Performance Degradation, but Quick Launch is to the>right of the <<. Looks like Rob only has 5 or 6 programs in>Quick Launch...>>As for the DX question, I'm assuming that every new (~monthly)>DX redist contains all the files necessary to install Dx from>scratch; those other .cabs and .dlls remaining after>installation are older files that the installer doesn't even>bother with because, in this case, they're already installed. >>>But I, too, would like to know rather than assume. C'mon all>you DX gurus.>>>Rob (different Rob)>Central Oregon> I'm afraid you are mistaken. The Quick Launch Bar is to the left of the >>. He has more than 30 programs there, which in fact is a performance degrader.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

>I'm afraid you are mistaken. The Quick Launch Bar is to the>left of the >>. He has more than 30 programs there, which in>fact is a performance degrader.So it's a known fact huh, can you show me why this is so? What is the difference between those on the quicklaunch as opposed to having the same amount of icons on the desktop? Where did you get this information, I'd like to know. I did a search on the net and found nothing.Thanks,

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi Rob,Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and tell us how many processes are running in the background.Mike

>Hi Rob,>>Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and tell us how many processes are running>in the background.>>MikeHi Mike,The attached screenshot shows that I am running 34 processes. Right now after running FSAutostart I am running 29 processes. I also ran filemon and there aren't any other programs running in the background. What do you figure.http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/ma...-apr-21-001.jpgCheers,

\Robert Hamlich/