Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Asobo's silence on the weather mess

4 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Agree totally with this.. People seem to miss the point. It's MS that push the developer, not the other way round. If you could have been a fly on the wall at some of those meetings i bet your bottom dollar Asobo have said on numerous occasions " It's not ready" Only to fall on deaf ears.

I'll take that bet and also bet that the MS folks know something that you don't. 

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

The Caribbean.

No it's not.  The cloud decks are still too low.  I just flew around St. Lucia and it looked a mess when compared to the actual METAR.

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Dillon said:

No it's not.  The cloud decks are still too low.  I just flew around St. Lucia and it looked a mess when compared to the actual METAR.

Yes, the decks tend to be too low but at least the clouds are there. Better to have clouds that need a height adjustment than having no clouds at all.

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

4 hours ago, Krakin said:

If they roll back to the previous weather, I'll be upset. Weather is MUCH more accurate for the region I'm usually flying in. No more clear skies in the sim when I'd see a ton of clouds looking out my window. It's not perfect but it is moving in the right direction.

The only agreement I'll give you is the look of the sky has greatly improved.  I setup canned weather options now and can confidently say when this get's resolved if Asobo doesn't change the sky they've produced now it's going to be amazing.  AGL versus MSL is all we need corrected.  There is an improvement there's no doubt there.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Yes, the decks tend to be too low but at least the clouds are there. Better to have clouds that need a height adjustment than having no clouds at all.

The point is the height wasn't an issue pre-SU7, now it is hence the need for a fix. We shouldn't have to make do like this until SU8 sometime in February, it needs a hotfix along with the other errors from the update.

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, Car147 said:

Agree totally with this.. People seem to miss the point. It's MS that push the developer, not the other way round. If you could have been a fly on the wall at some of those meetings i bet your bottom dollar Asobo have said on numerous occasions " It's not ready" Only to fall on deaf ears.

Absolutely. It's about market share and money right now. Perfection can come later. If Jorg and his team stamp their feet too much on this, Asobo will follow Aces out the door.  Now that would make these cloud issues seem inconsequential in the bigger scheme of things wouldn't it team.  

Of course I don't think it will go that way because MS have already made an example of Aces and I'm sure Asobo will just keep toeing the party line no matter how reluctantly. I mean, Asobo knew that when they took this on.

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 2

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

weather definitely worked better before....getting pop-in now after taking off.

• Upvote 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Mark1616 said:

The problem with this weather "upgrade" is that it is so bad the only fix for now is to roll-back whatever changes they've made in SU7.

Certainly most would be happy with a role back, but what we really don't know is what can be tweaked in the current implementation to get it to where it is an improvement over SU6.  It's quite possible it mostly needs refinement and this is not like positioning 2D cloud sprights it's a more organic, more powerful means of depicting weather that may be a case of tweaking variables in the configuration table...we just don't really know unless y you're intimate w/ this particular means of depicting weather and clouds.  Plus, they must stay within their performance budget, so it may be harder than it looks so they are just feeling their way into the future by sending up trial balloons or what have you.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

10 hours ago, OlliePen said:

Truth ^ . Perhaps someone might have released a little blurb or something saying, "We know there are problems, and we're working to fix them."

Perhaps someone did exactly that last week!

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

7 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

the live weather was working absolutely fine

6 hours ago, mwilk said:

The weather system hasn't been right since day one of the alpha.

Huh. So which of these was it, "absolutely fine" or "hasn't been right"?

Opinions differ, I guess, and mileage does vary depending on technical capabilities and personal preferences. I find the current weather depiction to be remarkably accurate, notwithstanding the problems with incorrect cloud layer placement, a fix for which will surely be made available. I've learned to assume that every flight may end in an instrument approach, something that real work pilots are well advised to consider. Great fun and good training, too.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

3 hours ago, Car147 said:

In this case, I am glad the MS didnt wait.  I have been enjoying the sim from day one.   

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tierborn said:

In this case, I am glad the MS didnt wait.  I have been enjoying the sim from day one.   

As it has for me, but some are having issues.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

My chief complaints are how the METARs have been integrated, and the appearance of cloud textures themselves.  Both of those things sound like a case of tweaking variables to at least dramatically improve upon.  I think they're just on holiday and thankfully most of the sim still works great for me, lucky me 😀

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

3 hours ago, MarcG said:

The point is the height wasn't an issue pre-SU7, now it is hence the need for a fix. We shouldn't have to make do like this until SU8 sometime in February, it needs a hotfix along with the other errors from the update.

The real point is that the weather is more representative of the real world conditions I've observed than ever before. It's like Noel said, this is looking like a better implementation that needs tweaks rather than a roll back. I rather load my sim up with some clouds lower than they should be rather that seeing far less clouds than there should be. Tweaking the height vs going back to that and no haze at any time....which one makes more sense to you?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

6 hours ago, Krakin said:

The Caribbean.

OK. Nice coincidence.  I had flown from Hilton Head (KHXD) to Nassau (MYNN) back on the 24th  and despite clear weather in the reports that day, I was plagued with the dreaded haze and low clouds and literally never saw the ocean or islands. 

Today however, I flew back from Nassau to Hilton Head and the weather was much better, pretty spot on with reports.  Screen shots validate it.  Totally different than my experience last Wednesday and prior back to SU7.  Totally different!

The flight did not go so well later.  I started encountering winds at 8,000 from the W at 65 knots as I neared the Florida coast near Vero Beach.  Actual winds aloft reports had winds at 15 to 20 for that altitude.  So I descended to 6,000 and the winds got worse.  75 from the same direction.  Incredibly off!  I fought those 75 knot winds all the way until I descended to below 1,000 on approach at Hilton Head. 

image.thumb.png.89fcf61facab27b44cb58a04ab0e4fa8.png

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere