Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

FSX and Sound

Guest emkramer

Since we don't get the benefits of audio hardware acceleration in Vista (assuming FSX doesn't use OpenAL - correct me if I'm wrong), and because we have a SB Live! 24-bit card and can't count on ALchemy to come through for us (don't think it's going to apply to the Live! series - again, correct me if I'm wrong), is there any hope to ever get hardware accelerated audio? Earl

Guest allcott

None whatsoever.Vista uses a new architecture called UNIVERSAL AUDIO ARCHITECTURE that physically and programatically works in a completely different manner to previous WDM (Windows Driver Model) architecture - in previous DirectSound you had sound provided in a kernel mode. Under Vista it is provided in User Mode, increasing performance and most importantly, stability. But this requires new hardware architecture on old cards to be compliant. ALchemy is a fudge factor fumble because Creative find their entire audio product range physically obsolete under Vistas software-driven sound package - which is at least on a par with accelerated DirectSound - and their business is under serious threat. OpenAL is the software that will run this transition and allow their cards to be used, but there are NO performance or quality enhancements whatsoever. And becasue it is Creatives `answer` to Microsofts choice, you can expect OpenAL to be completely ignored by all MS products. Thats not to say that FSX can't be made to work with OpenAL, just that it will not be optimised.Buy a new card. They're cheap. Or don't, and let the multi-core processors handle it for less performance hit than accelerated audio anyway. Sound is heading in a new direction with Vista.Another reason for thinking long and hard before making the transition if youare an audiohile like me with home studio equipment. For me it's no problem - I will buy a new machine for Vista. Eventually. Just not now. or any time in the near future.:)Allcott