Sign in to follow this  
ark4diusz

Prepar3D v5.3 released

2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Could you or another mod kindly hive these comments to another thread, please?

Back OT, has anyone thrown the proverbial kitchen sink at their v5.3, without using any affinity masks?

Not sure if this is any longer possible. The sim now creates automatically an affinity mask in the P3D.cfg. The values I posted above for my 7700K (4 cores) were all created by P3D without my input.

With HT off, the sim desired to have this setting:
[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=15
P3DCoreAffinityMask=15
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=3

After turning HT on in BIOS, the sim went for this:
[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=255
P3DCoreAffinityMask=255
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

I never used any AffinityMask before, so I can't judge how optimized and suitable the selection is.

• Like 1

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

18 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Could you or another mod kindly hive these comments to another thread, please?

Not easily, no. Any further discussion of Aerosoft’s policy in this topic will be hidden.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, Wolkenschreck said:

Not sure if this is any longer possible. The sim now creates automatically an affinity mask in the P3D.cfg. The values I posted above for my 7700K (4 cores) were all created by P3D without my input.

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=15
P3DCoreAffinityMask=15
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=255
P3DCoreAffinityMask=255
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2

I never used any AffinityMask before, so I can't judge how optimized and suitable the selection is.

So, it sounds like it is dynamic, will i be right in guessing that you will not be able to manually set it ?

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

Well, I have just turned off HT again and restarted the sim. Entries were reverted back automatically to AffinityMask=15. So, the sim does check at startup for any change. However, I do not know what happens with an individual affinity mask that correspondents with the processor settings. But the whole setting would not make sense if we could not adjust it too our liking. Thus, I assume individual affinity mask should be respected. That's something for the hardware experts to check and not a noob like me 😅.

• Like 1

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

I will be holding off on the update as it seems there is a performance loss until there is more clarity, despite LH mentioning otherwise. 

Maybe they have made the value of some sliders stronger than it was on the previous versions, such as the changes from V4 to V5. This could explain the performance loss, considering they have changed the road traffic values as well. 

I just and only installed the client of 5.3. First thing I did test is the improvement in rendering. I flew the same segments as yesterday in ORBX South GB HD with the A2A Bonanza. I did experience fewer stutters compared to 5.2 and a very smooth flight. This is only very preliminary test information, but it makes me hopefull that 5.3 performs better. 

54 minutes ago, Wolkenschreck said:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=15
P3DCoreAffinityMask=15
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=255
P3DCoreAffinityMask=255
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2

Sounds like @SteveW will be busy explaining affinity masks again shortly, now it's unavoidable. 🤣

I do note though that this functionality is only what I've been using as per Steve's advice since P3D4, which is to use an AM to separate out the first 2 P3D threads onto separate physical cores (assuming one has enough of them!).  This has always been possible through affinity masks in P3D.

The development over and above that now is simply the ability to use the last three settings to specify exactly which of those cores should be used for which tasks.  In a reasonably strong system I wouldn't expect that to produce massively improved performance though...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Make sure you install simmconnect again, otherwise trackIR will not work. :) 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

3 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

So is P3D now multi-core?

It always has been...

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, Wolkenschreck said:

No reason to abandon ORBX Global and OLC yet. But for ORBX Global Buildings HD, Trees HD, and Terra Flora it might be worth to first check out whether you like default PBR or not.

Just what I was thinking upon further review. Same with Envtex water textures. 

Eric 

So, after some more testing I am fairly certain that my FPS drops are solely related to the road traffic slider. And this does make sense after a second thought: Seeing that all vehicles have now  PBR textures, the sim has to render a lot more. Thus, users with more beefy hardware should not see such a big drop.

Without the road traffic, FPS are NOT worse than in 5.2. For me, FPS are nearly the same as before. But, and that is something Sesquashtoo and jcorstjens mentioned too, the sim seems less stuttery. For the record: Full new install + all add-ons registered via the add-on.xml method.

And sorry for hijacking this thread so much today. Enough from me for the time being.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Best,
Christoph

FSBetaTesters3.png

Anybody have shots of pbr trees and buildings vs the orbx ones ?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

How would one go about ensuring there are no leftover Envtex water textures after uninstalling v5. 2? I have a ton of add-ons so no plans to nuke all my addons. I usually Uninstaller P3D and do a full reinstall in same directory leaving all addons in place. But now with the PBR water textures, no need for the Envtex water texture replacement. My fear is if I don't ensure they are gone then I won't see the new default v5. 3 PBR textures. 

Eric 

Someone asked earlier if we can simply uninstall Scenery, Content, and Client and reinstall each of those v5.3 components. I didn't see if this had been answered. Also, if we uninstall those three components and then just run the full setup as suggested, does this leave the main 68gb P3d file in tact? My P3d setup is a bit messy, with some item installed inside the sim and some installed outside. I am hoping not to created hours of work for myself if possible. Thanks in advance and my apologies if this was already answered.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot