Sign in to follow this  
ark4diusz

Prepar3D v5.3 released

@shivers9, I’ve asked on the topic over at LM whether HT is best on or off for my processor. Maybe they’ll have answered by the time I get up tomorrow.

Whatever they recommend should also suit you. 👍

Yes, interesting that no one so far is claiming a significant boost in performance. Maybe it’s processor dependent.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@shivers9, I’ve asked on the topic over at LM whether HT is best on or off for my processor. Maybe they’ll have answered by the time I get up tomorrow.

Whatever they recommend should also suit you. 👍

Yes, interesting that no one so far is claiming a significant boost in performance. Maybe it’s processor dependent.

There is no 'right' answer Ray.  There are so many different use cases I very much doubt they'd be able to give you an answer.  

Intel don't put HT on the CPUs for zero reason.  I'd recommend HT on, because you can just apply an AM to emulate HT off if you want to.

I also don't think people have properly got to grips with the new settings to be able to tell.whether there's a performance improvement using it.

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

There is no 'right' answer Ray.  There are so many different use cases I very much doubt they'd be able to give you an answer.  

Intel don't put HT on the CPUs for zero reason.  I'd recommend HT on, because you can just apply an AM to emulate HT off if you want to.

I also don't think people have properly got to grips with the new settings to be able to tell.whether there's a performance improvement using it.

Let’s see what they say if anything. You would have thought they’d researched the benefits of this strategy before implementing it.

The argument for HT on or off has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Whilst I can turn on HT with a different AM setting I can’t lower the overclock speed. Having achieved 5.2 on 3 cores I’m reluctant to go lower.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Stan, I suggest:

1. Delete the v5.2 Scenery. Delete Content. Delete Client but do not deactivate the license.  Don't touch the P3D v5.(x) 68 GB top entry.

Download the entire zip...and unzip to a desktop folder. Then fire up the Set Up app and point to your (still) P3D v5 folder on whatever drive.

Let the Set Up do its thing

Then open up Orbx Central and go to your BASE, and use 'verify' on everything that is in there, for this will place all those files that sit in the Scenery Folder.  Then, use re-sync so all the other airports and stuff are seen by the install on first run. That pretty much is it for Orbx Content.  Then, you need to get the Active Sky v5.3 beta...and you might need to reinstall Hendrik's boats...putting all the files back into the Scnery folder and turning off the boats.bgl, to  boats.lgb  Niggly things like that...and oh...remember to go into your Hidden Folder/User Apps and delete the P3D v5 Shader Folder before first run.  That will then compile all the shaders to v5.3 specs.  Have fun...as I'm about to fire it up for the first time. I still 'verifying' my Orbx GLOBALS in the background...but will soon be done...

Sesquashtoo,

Your instructions were beautiful. Perfect!  I had never installed P3d that specific way.  However, I followed your instructions to the tee...and it installed beautifully.  Verifying all my ORBX files took some time, but it was worth it.  5.3 is running wonderfully.  Thanks again for those specific step by steps.  I am most grateful

Stan

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, spilok said:

Sesquashtoo,

Your instructions were beautiful. Perfect!  I had never installed P3d that specific way.  However, I followed your instructions to the tee...and it installed beautifully.  Verifying all my ORBX files took some time, but it was worth it.  5.3 is running wonderfully.  Thanks again for those specific step by steps.  I am most grateful

Stan

Following these instructions as well.  So far so good!

• Like 1

Orman

On 12/1/2021 at 7:07 PM, RXP said:

This was a fast and easy installation:

- Uninstall in this order: scenery, content, base
- Install with the full installer.

RXP GTN and GNS are picked up automatically because they use the "external add-on" method. Working on the update for the autopilot link right now (the only thing requiring manual update, all the rest is fully functional so far).

Enjoy the screenshot for now:

Screenshot_2021-12-01_185656.jpg

PS: settings for this screenshot are: FXAA, 4xSSAA, Aniso 8x, Texture Res. Ultra, Water Detail Med, EA Clouds Med,

A quick note to let you know we've just released the RXP GNS V2 and RXP GTN updates compatible with P3D v5.3!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I just performed my first flight in the maddog and i am sad to say i am experiencing a huge drop in frames. I used to fly around at 40+ fps with most sliders (almost) maxed out and now i can barely break single digits, and that’s at cruise. I’ve played around with graphic settings but haven’t seen any noticeable difference. I’m thinking it’s an issue with the maddog or an another addon. Either way it’s killing me. 

im running on an intel i9 3.7ghz processor w/ 32gb of ram and an nvidia titan rtx with 32gb vram. My rig should be slaying this thing but for some reason it’s not. Ugh!

Zachary Kerr

"I fly a fake plane on my computer and I love it!"

8 minutes ago, zkerr8 said:

I just performed my first flight in the maddog and i am sad to say i am experiencing a huge drop in frames. I used to fly around at 40+ fps with most sliders (almost) maxed out and now i can barely break single digits, and that’s at cruise. I’ve played around with graphic settings but haven’t seen any noticeable difference. I’m thinking it’s an issue with the maddog or an another addon. Either way it’s killing me. 

im running on an intel i9 3.7ghz processor w/ 32gb of ram and an nvidia titan rtx with 32gb vram. My rig should be slaying this thing but for some reason it’s not. Ugh!

It's happening to me as well, same as your findings but with the NGXu. My procedure was uninstalling p3d completely and deleted all corresponding folders. Then install p3d v5.3. Don't know what it is but it may well be that the new pbr implementations are taxiing my oldish GTX 1080 Ti, I'm on 9900K @ 5.2GHz and also 32 GB of ram.

Edited by SergioN

Sergio Naiberg

Volumetric clouds destroys my frames. Have to use legacy clouds still unfortunately 

Orman

54 minutes ago, SergioN said:

It's happening to me as well, same as your findings but with the NGXu. My procedure was uninstalling p3d completely and deleted all corresponding folders. Then install p3d v5.3. Don't know what it is but it may well be that the new pbr implementations are taxiing my oldish GTX 1080 Ti, I'm on 9900K @ 5.2GHz and also 32 GB of ram.

Did it help?

Zachary Kerr

"I fly a fake plane on my computer and I love it!"

I find perplexing some outcomes reported here lack of performance etc particularly about EA and Vol Clouds or True Sky. Because of the donkey internet downloading was a nightmare and in the end I resorted to the individual package process (Thanks to LM for recognising this not all users are on the super internet highway and making this possible) install went smoothly and no errors.  Apart form ORBX Global and Vector Not a single Addon scenery or aircraft has been a problem at all. They are all fine. 

Graphically, there are very subtle shifts in the way light is now working it seems to me overall better balanced and focused as well. The Volumetric Clouds generated with real weather inputs are fine and they are more consistent in form and shape particularly around high terrain (low cloud + mountains). There are some visual aspects with dynamic lighting that are also a pleasant surprise, shadowing and light shifts with cloud coverage and light shift and movement in the cockpit and on the ground. Water dynamics looks ok to me. (Note still to drive that aspect hard with some amphibian flying boat flying)  All my water and cloud is set at ultra and EA is on. Colour is good but maybe too good as it does make some older LC textures look a little tacky (now and then). The PBR updates I guess will be hard to notice as I opted to reinstall ORBX Trees and HD Buildings (I actually think they were great anway). AI ship traffic is working correctly as well. Road traffic don't know always keep that at 2% anyway not interested in watching cars and trucks. I have kept my previous settings for vis turbulence etc in AS and no problems there either. Just using the updated and stock Vol Cloud config file at the moment (Cirrus still needs some adjustments)

Performance wise i see nothing but 30FPS and VRAM at 3.0 No matter the model complexity or where I am  city or ocean, high or low or how fast the aircraft is travelling (for example M1.2 v 300 knots). No stutters, lags or other pauses at all, very very smooth including panning and zooming inside to outside etc. 

Finally Sim Director is fixed as well. Over all 5.3  took up another 35 GB space on my SSD primary drive compared to V5.2. Initial starf up and load times are ok (@2 mins with my system) and a full scenario load up is about the same. Switching location and aircraft produced no hangs or problems either, even done repeatedly. Overall menu interaction is smooth and I have had no observable glitches or issues. SODE stuff is working properly and no issues with some older gauges or models at all!. PMDG model loaded and ran well (Including all the internal PMDG menu stuff). Sound all works fine but I cannot speak for balance.

AI ATC? Look I had no expectations here so I just don't use it anymore. 

My addon NAVIGRAPH plus little NAVMAP also nteracts with it well without any obvious need for updates either. 

Now they have this humming along I guess its time for MS to do something stupid with a WIN10 update or NVIDIA to do the same with a driver update. 

I do wish they had done the Google Earth thing for terrain and LC but I guess that is for a future version. 

Edited by coastaldriver
spelling
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No increase for me. Parked at EGLL with PMDG744. Traffic makes huge difference, add to all roads brings down from around 20 to 6 fps, so leaving at freeways only.

Haven't done a flight yet but scenery seems much crisper and more varied.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I note the above advice for installing the new P3D version:

"Delete the v5.2 Scenery. Delete Content. Delete Client but do not deactivate the license.  Don't touch the P3D v5.(x) 68 GB top entry."

This is what I have done in the past but I also note advice from Nick Cooper from Orbx that varies slightly from this in that he says:

"uninstall the P3D v5 client and when asked if you want to deactivate P3D v5, answer No. Then uninstall the content and then the scenery and finally the top P3D v5 entry in the Windows control panel."

So what is the correct option -  retain the top P3Dv5 entry or delete it?  Thanks

Bruce

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."