Sign in to follow this  
lensman

FSX: my free flights end up as "missions" - why?

Hi all,I'm new to simming, and I have a FSX problem. I've done a "repair install" but this keeps happening:-start the program-the program opens on the "missions" page (not the home page)-click on "free flight" - the Hawaii Checkout mission is loaded (aircraft, origin and destination, voice-over, mission compass)-laboriously set up aircraft, origin, etc-at end of flight, the "end of mission, press esc"-after I press esc, I get the "no reward" mission end pageDuring the flight, I constantly have to remove the mission compass (which does give the correct distance to Hana!!!)Is there any way to prevent the program from starting up in the Hawaii Checkout mission, or even better, not open on the missions page by default?Thanks,dan "grey lensman"

Guest Gunner_CAF

You might have a saved mission set as your default Free Flight.Select an aircraft, location, weather and season. Save this, and check the box at the bottom of the Save Flight screen to make this your default fight. This new setup will become your default free flight.Gunner

Hi,Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but when I click on "Fly!"- the voice over saying "If you want to see Haleakala now..." proceeds- the mission compass still points towards Hana (even if I'm over the Caspian Sea)- I did create a free flight and make it the default, but no joy - when the default flight ends, the "end of mission" page comes up and tells me I didn't land at Hana.Is this a FSX bug?>You might have a saved mission set as your default Free>Flight.>>Select an aircraft, location, weather and season. Save this,>and check the box at the bottom of the Save Flight screen to>make this your default fight. This new setup will become your>default free flight.>>Gunner

Hi,Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but when I click on "Fly!"- the voice over saying "If you want to see Haleakala now..." proceeds- the mission compass still points towards Hana (even if I'm over the Caspian Sea)- I did create a free flight and make it the default, but no joy - when the default flight ends, the "end of mission" page comes up and tells me I didn't land at Hana.Is this a FSX bug?>You might have a saved mission set as your default Free>Flight.>>Select an aircraft, location, weather and season. Save this,>and check the box at the bottom of the Save Flight screen to>make this your default fight. This new setup will become your>default free flight.>>Gunner
I have exactly the same problem, just installed FSX a few weeks ago. Got as far as doing the missiom/tutorial 8 "Transitioning to Jets", failed it, and now any of my free flights since then are not listed under Free Flight->Load, only if I go to missions and select Tutorial 8 with "Show Saved Missions" clicked. And then I have to guess because my saved flights are only saved with a timestamp in the name, and when I select one and manage to land I get the annoying voice pop up and say "we aren't supposed to land here. We are supposed to land in Glasgow". I give an appropriate verbal response every time he says this. But the more importamt point is that I've now got about 200 flights which I've saved and I can only list them by date and time under "Mission 8"! Any ideas Guys? Many thanks, Phil.

Ok,

After some mucking around, I managed to get my ATC window back, with no Mission Pointers or Objectives (Stupid General and his sore back .. :P  )

I deleted all the other flights under c:....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Flights\Other

except for 

FLTSIM.FLT and 

FLTSIM.WX

When you restart FSX it says it can not find the old default file, and will then look for the original file.

This will then put you back to the start.

Keep a copy of the other files before you delete them in case it does not work in your particular circumstance.

I hope that this helps a few people out.

Thanks.