Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Do you remember?

Do you remember when telephones sat on desk or small table in the house instead of in your pocket?

Do you remember walking to school in the morning and walking back home when school was out?

Do you remember when Mom had cookies and milk waiting for you when you got home from school?

Do you remember changing your clothes after school and then going outside play instead of sitting in front of a computer?

Do you remember choosing up sides for a softball or touch football game without uniforms or adult supervision?

Do you remember dad getting the news of the world in 15 minutes over the radio in the evening?

And speaking of radios do you remember Captain Midnight, Red Ryder, and Sky King?

Or Fibber McGee's Closet or Amos and Andy or I Love a Mystery with Jack, Doc and Reggie?

Do you remember playing board or card games with the family in the evening after dinner? 

Do you remember sugar cubes with a drop of Salk's polio vaccine and nobody had a problem with it?

Do you remember going to school without worrying about getting shot?

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Yes, all of them - because I'm old.  

also

Calling the operator to make a call

Party line phones

TV was only black and white

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes to most!  No cookies and milk after school!  Don't want to spoil supper!  Polio vaccine on a sugar cube only once! I had the damn shots!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Captain Midnight and Icky and the "Secret Squadron" on the TV along with Sky King and Fury on Saturday morning.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I do remember most of the things Noel mentioned.Loved Sky King, Whirlybirds, Pat Brady with Nellebelle on Roy Rogers.Circus Boy,Rin Tin Tin I wish i could go back to those years to some respect.I remember the sugar cubes in elementary school, The old sci fi's.

39 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Do you remember changing your clothes after school and then going outside play instead of sitting in front of a computer?

Oh, yeah … I went to Catholic schools, wore the uniforms; best part of the day was getting those uniforms off & play clothes on, like escaped prisoners ditching their prison clothes.

43 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Do you remember choosing up sides for a softball or touch football game without uniforms or adult supervision?

In my neighborhood, we had kids of all ages. We played football, kickball & wiffleball on the street. We had a pecking order: late teens down to 5-6 year olds. When I was little, I always watched the older kids play football. When I asked to play, they said I could play if I could find another kid my age to play. I’d go get one of my friends & drag him back to the game, & the older kids let us play. My friend would be on the other side, but we were so thrilled to be “playing” with the older guys, even if we didn’t make any actual plays. There was one play that’s burned into my memory. My team had the ball, so on the snap I just ran long while my friend chased me. There was a lot of the sound of shoes slapping on the street, made by kids running around trying to evade/chase each other. While running forward I turned my head to see a cluster of bodies when suddenly, a football was launched skyward in a high arc. As I followed the flight of the ball, I realized it was coming to me. Whoa, that pass is for ME!! I was so mesmerized I locked my eyes on that ball as it flew to me until it glanced off the fingertips of my extended arms. Man, was I crushed. The reality was the quarterback probably threw it to avoid a sack & who knows, maybe the little kid might actually catch it. It’s funny how you can remember all the details of something that happened almost 60 years ago.

• Like 1

In the UK, I remember our first TV which we got in 1953, just in time for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. 

I remember the Eagle weekly comic with Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future and the Eagle Annual which I received every Christmas.

I remember Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future on the radio as well, and Paul Temple, who was an amateur detective.

I remember when our Christmas tree had real candles.

I remember when coal was delivered in sacks which the deliverymen would carry on their shoulders and empty into the coal cellar just inside our back door.

I remember ration books and dried bananas and cod liver oil.

I remember the old windup gramophone players with the steel needles.

Dugald Walker

Do you remember when Christmas used to be a magical time of the year? With the advent of the internet and mobile phones, I find it hard to imagine that it is the same for the kids of today.

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The magical part tends to wear off as one approaches teenage years.
My youngest grand child can still see the magic but she's only nine.
As to the do you remember, those of us who do are very fortunate.

downunder .... i remember being the only one in the surf riding the waves before lifeguards/savers invented safety flags.

for now, cheers

john martin

8 hours ago, birdguy said:

And speaking of radios do you remember Captain Midnight, Red Ryder, and Sky King?

You can still get a lot of old time radio shows on the web. Here's one of the places to download for free:  https://www.oldradioworld.com/  .  Another free one is  https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio .

But If you're really into it, try this one :  https://www.rusc.com/ . It's not free but I think, with over 35,000 top-quality shows available, it's the best site of all.

Hi Ho Sliver....Away........................

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Do you remember when Christmas used to be a magical time of the year? With the advent of the internet and mobile phones, I find it hard to imagine that it is the same for the kids of today.

We used to get the Radio Times mega edition every year. TV seemed awesome back then. Now with 5 million channels not so much. Except science fiction of course which is always awesome.

Edited by martin-w

Captain Scarlett, Thunderbirds, Stingray. Land of The giants Voyage to The Bottom of The Sea. Stingray was epic and I love Marina the fish lady.  

One memory that sticks in my mind, was walking to junior school with my friend and there was an enormous roar overhead. We literally drooped down onto the grass...

Guess what it was?

English Electric Lightning - Wikiwand

Aqua Marina by Gary Miller - Song Images | Aqua marina, Gerry anderson,  Thunderbirds are go

ArtStation - 21st Century Adventures of Gerry Anderson, Matthew Teevan

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

A teacher asked a young boy why he'd rather listen to a story on the radio rather than watch it on television. That's easy,  the boy replied -  I listen on the radio because I can see the story so much better.

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I remember the single telephone and table in the house.  The table looked just like this one.

LAX135-9501.jpg?ixlib=rb-3.1.0&w=880&h=8

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.