Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phalanx

No ATC/pilot voices whatsoever in FSX

Guest Phalanx

Hi,since I installed my FSX I can't hear any pilot or ATC voices at all! Only thing I can hear is some stuttering sometimes between an ATC transmission, e.g. a voice of the pilot which repeats one word all the time.I have tried uninstalling all codecs, reinstalling them, using newest sound card drivers (its a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS), even installed kxDrivers a few days ago whicih work fine in all games but not in FSX. I have the latest OpenAL installed but NOTHING brings me voices.Any clues? Thanks!

Just to make sure. Have you looked at the pilot voice selection window? You can select from a number or male and female voices. Maybe there is a 'none' selection and that is what is selected? I am on the road and can't look at FSx right now to check. So I could be all wet behind the ears here.:)

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest RonB49

Try turning down sound acceleration. You can do this in Dxdiag (click Start>Run, then enter dxdiag) or from the Control panel Sounds and Audio Devices window. I have mine set one notch from the right. I believe that this is called Standard. On an older system I had to reduce this setting two notches to Basic to stop the stuttereing.R-

Guest Phalanx

Hi,I have tried all available pilot voices but none could be heard.Also I tried using each of the directX acceleration settings from "no acceleration" to full acceleration - no effort.What else could be wrong? I can hear all other sounds from FSX without problems - only the voices of the pilots, tower and ATIS can not be heard. Settings are as loud as possible, deactivating other sounds doesnt work either :(regardsPhil

Guest RonB49

Do you have more than one sound device? I have a sound card and a USB headset for example and each has its own sound accelerator. I uae the headset for FSX voice and that is the accelerator that must be adjusted. Other than that, I don't have any more suggestions. R-

Guest Phalanx

I have 4 or 5 sound devices in my list and have already tried all of them. They are all part of the kxDriver package and all work fine, except for the missing atc voices.Perhaps there is an ATC extension or something like that for FSX which replaces the original pilot and tower voices? I have had a look at "radar contact 4" but I think it's too expensive and I don't even know if that would solve my problem.On the MS homepage there is no support for this issue either. Man!

Guest allcott

I think what was suggested was that ou may still have onboard sound enabled on your motherboard. Check in BIOS if neccessary, or else use Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Sound Video and Game Controllers to check you don't have a second real device, not a virtual one created by KX Drivers. FSX likes to send ATC sound to a different source by design, so if that is the only sound that is missing, it suggests it is being sent somewhere else.Allcott

Guest Phalanx

Hi Allcott,I have onboard sound disabled all the time.I uninstalled the kxDrivers this afternoon and installed the original creative labs soundblaster drivers. Now I have only one audio device left in the list (SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio A000).Of course, I still don't hear any voices in FSX.BUT I noticed that under the "Speech" control panel, the "Sam" voice seems to be malfunctioning. Does the (text-to)speech system have anything to do with the voices in FSX? "Mike" and "Mary" do work, but when I chose "Sam" to be my voice of choice (haha), it sais:"This voice cannot be played. Please try selecting another voice or selecting a different audio output device."I tried installing the tts SAPI 5 and 4 engines from this page:http://www.bytecool.com/voices.htmbut this doesn't fix my issue... as expected ;)Should I perhaps try a complete new installation of FSX?edit: is the .NET Framework 3.0 required for FSX to work properly? I only have 1.0 and 2.0 installed!

Guest Phalanx

Ok, I have installed .NET 3.0 and all patches, re-installed FSX three times, even in a different language version from a friend - none of which would work.To solve the "Sam" speech problem I did btw the following:1. Open C:WindowsInf2. Right click on sapi5.inf and select install3. If prompted for files, insert Windows XP CD and browse to CDROM:i386This helped me get the "Sam" voice back, but still I don't hear any voices in FSX.I have no Idea what to do next so I'll try the Microsoft support. Hopefully they won't send me an automated response

Guest Phalanx

Solved the problem today by reinstalling some default WinXP codecs as described on this page:http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/How_to_i...ows_XP_2000.htmafter I had a look on the simFlight.com FAQ:

Why do I not hear some of the sounds?An audio CODEC may be missing or de-activated. For Windows XP users: open device manager, go to sound, video and game controllers, audio compression codecs, properties tab and check that the codec listed above are installed. If they are select properties for each one and check "Use this audio codec". If one or more codec are missing repair Windows XP using the CD.
------------FSX voices worked, after I installed the TrueSpeech Software Audio Codec. Somehow it was missing on my machine, but now everything works. I'm curious what the MS support guy will tell me to do ;)Thanks again, good flights everyone! :)