Sign in to follow this  
Guest X15

Clean FSX build for SP1 install - how clean?

Guest nels

I've uninstalled FSX, defragged and then re-installed FSX. I've done nothing to the 'vanilla' build apart from add a nice little Piper PA28R.I'm diligently waiting for the release of SP1 in order to have a clean stable base to start tweaking and purchasing add-ons (UK2000 scenery, Active Sky and World of AI)Problem is, my patience is wearing thin and I'm not sure if I can wait much longer till SP1 is released.Should I sit tight with a vanilla build of FSX until SP1 or should I just go-ahead, spend some money and install these add-ons with the risk of upsetting them when I install SP1 on top?In short, should we have a pristine FSX 'vanilla' build before SP1?How much can we tweak / change the 'vanilla' build without seeing problems after SP1 is installed?Would something as simple as installing WOAI affect SP1's install or potential performance gains because its 'alien' to SP1?Nels

Guest fundies

I bet you couldnt wait to open your xmas pressies as a kid either. I cant see how any person can see what problems will arise with SP1. Relax, be patient. All will be revealed.

I'm all set for SP1. In one post (no idea when, where, etc) Phil Taylor suggested a minimum of doing the repair from DVD1, so I did that. Interesting in that it left my *.cfg files alone so I did not lose any of that stuff but it restored all other files I had messed with.When done, my frames were down again and I could not see why it should be as much as it was. Then I looked in the autogen folder and sure enough the default.xml was back in all it's glory. Moved it but will put it back before installing SP1. My addon aircraft were not hurt during the repair and my validation was not effected. I am ready (knock on wood).Phill

Phil..I'm a bit new to FSX... I know I read earlier somewhere about the default.xml tweak. Could you possibly repeat that?Thanks, Steve

Guest allcott

>Phil..>>I'm a bit new to FSX... I know I read earlier somewhere about>the default.xml tweak. Could you possibly repeat that?>>Thanks, SteveSure. Rename it to default.xml.bak. No longer read, fps improves. n theory. There are also hand-adjusted default.xml replacements that switch off or reduce various autogen items.The Repair Install replaces only those files that are missing, it seems, so if you have modified texture or default files internally, all you have to do when `repairing` is rename the folder they are in.Allcott

Just did another check and some files that are there are replaced with the originals. There were some cloud textures I had forgot to remove and it replaced them and the Maule_M7_260C.cab file also.The Maule had the VSI locked at 1,000 fpm and I increased to 3,000 just because I could. After the "repair" it was back to the original. Also did some changes to the 737-800 gauge cab file and it's back.Wish I knew what the rules were for repair to act on a file, but you're correct in that just having an empty folder will make double dare sure fire to get them back. :-lol Phill

Guest abulaafia

The 3rd party scenery from UK2000, Activesky and WoAI will not affect the SP1 installation. Activesky FSX doesn't copy graphic files, WoAI only adds planes, and UK2000 are all in self-contained folders, not overwriting any FSX native files. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of the bloody beginner's guide to realistic flight simulation: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=bbgrfs.zip

Guest X15

Seems to me the answers to the OPs question will come with SP1.I've not done much to my FSX installation, some addon aircraft and photo scenery and a few tweaks.If after installing SP1 there are problems, then I'll just start over with a clean format. Seems the easier way until people report any specific issues with SP1.So I would just carry on doing what you want with FSX until SP1 arrives, try the patch and if all is not well start again. We do not know for sure exactly when SP1 will be released in any case.