Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TomCYYZ

Full Reinstall of P3Dv5.3 - Academic 90.1 GB?

Recommended Posts

I downloaded and installed the Academic license for P3Dv5.3 and realized it had installed into C:\Program Files. that's OK my mistake. Then I opened the Control Panel to Uninstall and Reinstall to C:\ drive I saw some very surprising Installed File sizes:

P3D Academic:  90.1GB

P3D Client:  358mb

P3D Content  18.6GB

P3D Scenery  40.7GB

I have no Addons installed yet. I thought the total disk space used was supposed to be around 35GB - 40GB. If I take the 90.1GB less Client, Content and Scenery, the net would be 30.4GB, which is what I would expect the entire install to be. My available SSD disk space was around 170GB. This install would put me at around 85GB available. It just doesn't add up. Mind you I did not do an initial run of P3D. would that have made a difference. I want to reinstall P3D, but not at this expense of used disk space. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards

 

 

Edited by TomCYYZ

Share this post


Link to post

Check the actual folder that you have installed P3d to and see how much space it's using.


i7-8700K, 16gb DDR4 3200,  GTX1080Ti, Win 10, P3d V5x

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, I have already uninstalled, but I might give a reinstall another shot. But even the disk Properties revealed a usage of around 90GB.

Share this post


Link to post

OK I reinstalled, get the same stats. The breakdown of the main "C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" folder is:

Scenery 40.7GB

SimObjects 12GB

Texture    5.4GB

For a total of 58.1GB. Does this seem reasonable? because before the install I was at 175GB available disk space. It now shows 84.6GB. That's a use of 90GB. When the total P3D installation uses only 58GB. Where did the other 32GB go? I dunno😕 Maybe a temp folder somewhere I am not aware of?

Edited by TomCYYZ

Share this post


Link to post

What size is the main P3D installation for others? Maybe 90gb is normal. I was thinking around 59 - 60 gb.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, TomCYYZ said:

What size is the main P3D installation for others? Maybe 90gb is normal. I was thinking around 59 - 60 gb.

Mine is also around 90 gb and everything seems to be working properly. I’m pulling for the Leafs to make a run for the cup this year, they look fantastic. I can’t get enough of this team. 

Cheers, Pete


Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Pete, any idea about the 30gb discrepancy between the “C:\…Prepare3D v5” folder (60gb) and the installed app  “P3D Academic” (90gb)?   I appreciate the confirmation. I was over reacting a little with this I guess. I’ve posted over on the P3D forums. They’re probably rolling their eyes…lol
Btw, yes, it’s been a long time coming for Leaf fans. We’re not used to seeing the team playing so consistently well…and in such a lofty position, 1st overall in the NHL.

Regards, 

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Thanks Pete, any idea about the 30gb discrepancy between the “C:\…Prepare3D v5” folder (60gb) and the installed app  “P3D Academic” (90gb)?   I appreciate the confirmation. I was over reacting a little with this I guess. I’ve posted over on the P3D forums. They’re probably rolling their eyes…lol
Btw, yes, it’s been a long time coming for Leaf fans. We’re not used to seeing the team playing so consistently well…and in such a lofty position, 1st overall in the NHL.

Regards, 

Tom

It's probably counting the installer package cache, which is 30 GB. The package cache is stored in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache and should not be deleted as the package cache is used for uninstallation/reinstallation of software through control panel. You can move the package cache to a different folder however with either a junction or a symbolic link.

Edited by arwasairl
  • Like 1

Aaron Kim

i9-7980XE @ 4.0Ghz, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA, 32 GB RAM , 2 Samsung EVO Pro 970 1TB M.2 
Community Moderator and Customer Support Agent for TFDi Design

그래요!! 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Thanks Pete, any idea about the 30gb discrepancy between the “C:\…Prepare3D v5” folder (60gb) and the installed app  “P3D Academic” (90gb)?   I appreciate the confirmation. I was over reacting a little with this I guess. I’ve posted over on the P3D forums. They’re probably rolling their eyes…lol
Btw, yes, it’s been a long time coming for Leaf fans. We’re not used to seeing the team playing so consistently well…and in such a lofty position, 1st overall in the NHL.

Regards, 

Tom

I actually asked about this yesterday, but then when everything started up and ran well, I figured all was well. So no idea as to the variance. As far as the NHL, I’ve been playing hockey my whole life. Grew up in northern NJ and the Devils are my team since they moved from CO. Since I moved to Chicago after college, I’ve become a Hawks fan too. That said, I’ve always followed the Leafs even back to the Rick Vaive days. Been to a Canadiens game at the old forum but I’m dying to get to a Leafs game, Toronto is one of my favorite cities. I do think this team is legit, so I’m crossing my fingers that this is the year. Anyhow, sorry for going so far off topic, but I’m an obsessive hockey fan so I couldn’t help myself.

Cheers, Pete


Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PilotPete99 said:

I actually asked about this yesterday, but then when everything started up and ran well, I figured all was well. So no idea as to the variance. As far as the NHL, I’ve been playing hockey my whole life. Grew up in northern NJ and the Devils are my team since they moved from CO. Since I moved to Chicago after college, I’ve become a Hawks fan too. That said, I’ve always followed the Leafs even back to the Rick Vaive days. Been to a Canadiens game at the old forum but I’m dying to get to a Leafs game, Toronto is one of my favorite cities. I do think this team is legit, so I’m crossing my fingers that this is the year. Anyhow, sorry for going so far off topic, but I’m an obsessive hockey fan so I couldn’t help myself.

Cheers, Pete

Not a problem. Love the hockey stories! It's great to cross paths with an "original 6" hockey fan! Speaking of Rickie Vaive (former Hawk as well), we met him at a Leaf game in Florida (Panthers) a few years ago, talked hockey with him between 1st and 2nd periods, great guy. He's the only Leaf to score 50 goal in a season. Actually 3 consecutive seasons, 1981-82, 1982-83 and 1983-84. Amazing.

Regards,

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, arwasairl said:

It's probably counting the installer package cache, which is 30 GB. The package cache is stored in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache and should not be deleted as the package cache is used for uninstallation/reinstallation of software through control panel. You can move the package cache to a different folder however with either a junction or a symbolic link.

Thanks for the info, Good to know. I'll keep in in mind going forward.

Regards.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Not a problem. Love the hockey stories! It's great to cross paths with an "original 6" hockey fan! Speaking of Rickie Vaive (former Hawk as well), we met him at a Leaf game in Florida (Panthers) a few years ago, talked hockey with him between 1st and 2nd periods, great guy. He's the only Leaf to score 50 goal in a season. Actually 3 consecutive seasons, 1981-82, 1982-83 and 1983-84. Amazing.

Regards,

Tom

That’s awesome! I used to hang out at the Devils games back in the 80’s and was lucky enough to meet Gretzky, Lemieux, and many other all time greats. Pretty sure Matthews will hit that 50 goal mark, he is something else. I watched his hat trick game a few days ago, definitely needed to lose the mustache!
 

Cheers, Pete

  • Like 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, arwasairl said:

It's probably counting the installer package cache, which is 30 GB. The package cache is stored in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache and should not be deleted as the package cache is used for uninstallation/reinstallation of software through control panel. You can move the package cache to a different folder however with either a junction or a symbolic link.

Thanks Aaron, that's useful to know as my SSD which contains windows and the P3D base isn't that large. 30Gb is a lot of data to be sat there with no regular use, it's good we can move it. 

Edited by Ian S
  • Like 1

Ian S

38.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

...another location where TEMP files are is "users/myname/appdata/local/temp"  folder. When I was installing my addons to a drive (D:\) outside of the sim drive (C:\) I would expect the SSD C:\  drive storage would remain the same, since I was not installing there, but It actually was increasing. I was surprised to find out that when apps are installed there are temporary files stored under "users/myname/appdata/local/temp" to the tune of 45GB. After a bit of googling:  for example, (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-delete-temporary-files-in-windows-2624709) it seems safe enough to delete these files under %appdata% (they are of no use to Windows other than current session processing). Windows does not normally delete these files automatically, but there is a switch under "settings\system\storage\, "configure storage SENSE", I set it to "run storage sense" everyday to clear the TEMP files or just delete the files manually (if I remember to).  Alternatively I moved the temp files under "Program Data" which Windows 10 has more dependency on, to another drive and will not delete them since they are required by Windows to Uninstall or Repair apps such as P3D. When required I will just simply move them back into the temp folder. So I have deleted the "%appdata%" temp files and reclaimed 45GB on my disk. I am not a Windows expert and I am not usually one to do this but, I am very confident that it is safe to do so.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomCYYZ

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...