Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Post SU7 : not weather related

I've seen since SU7 a couple of unwelcome behaviours :

- Long pauses and  stutters. I almost eliminated them by reducing the LOD at SU4 level (!) but  I had to abort a taxi+take-off with the DC- 6 in Venice today because of a staccato fest,  and had a couple of long pauses landing in Camau,Vietnam with the Porter. 

- Without the new rendering channel, the DC-6 cockpit is less smooth than it was

- the camera maps seem unstable. I have the feeling that setting   a camera angle through  the customization procedure for one aircraft carries the ALT-X content over to other aircraft. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

So enter the public beta next week. voice your concern.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

21 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

So enter the public beta next week. voice your concern.

I am on Steam so a no-go and have a mediocre and capped connection. Reinstalling would take me about 15 hours if I remember well my first installation  (+ all the regional WU 😀!) of the  sim and bust my cap ! 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I had an issue with low frames + high mainthread times + low gpu usage around photogrammetry areas. By uninstalling the WU's I got the performance I was used to having pre SU7. It seems like there are two separate issues however going on with folks since SU7. One is single digit frames on the ground at airports, and another is much lower than normal (but not single digit) performances around photogrammetry areas on the ground at airports. I was suffering with the latter and uninstalling the WU's helped a bunch. Obviously its a pain to uninstall and reinstall and test, and mileage will vary, but I know it's helped some people regain some of their performance lost because of SU7.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jer2929 said:

I had an issue with low frames + high mainthread times + low gpu usage around photogrammetry areas. By uninstalling the WU's I got the performance I was used to having pre SU7. It seems like there are two separate issues however going on with folks since SU7. One is single digit frames on the ground at airports, and another is much lower than normal (but not single digit) performances around photogrammetry areas on the ground at airports. I was suffering with the latter and uninstalling the WU's helped a bunch. Obviously its a pain to uninstall and reinstall and test, and mileage will vary, but I know it's helped some people regain some of their performance lost because of SU7.

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

PG may partly explain the lack of fluidity. I was in Venice so there was some PG buildings not far from LIPZ I suppose but after SU6 and  before SU7 I could fly along the Thames in London all right.  I will try again with PG off in Venice. 

There is no PG in the Mekong Delta which could explain long pauses in Camau. No MP, no live traffic btw. 

• Like 1

Dominique

I am seeing a lot of stuttering on takeoff and landing. In the air, a couple of thousand feet up it's all smooth. However if I fly in Dev mode it's smooth all the time.

I flew into EDDF yesterday with the FBW and LatinVFR statics. Smooth all the way to about 50 feet then stuttering and buffering. Doh!

9900K 5.1 all core, 32 gig ram  and a 3090.

I don't know why but Dev mode is a lot smoother.

Dave.

• Like 3

I guess I am lucky , after SU7 the Sim has only gotten better for me . However, I just fly low and slow for the most part .

• Like 2

I actually have good things to say about SU7 and stutters/pauses, but I am using DX 12 beta. The first flight with it was horrible, but for some reason after the second flight things really improved.

Flying the FBW32NX exclusively, with instruments 'popped out' and on different monitors.

Every setup and experience is different, I guess......

Edited by Silicus
  • Like 2

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

2 hours ago, Silicus said:

but I am using DX 12 beta. The first flight with it was horrible, but for some reason after the second flight things really improved.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s smoother as DX12 builds up a kind of cache? 

• Like 1

I have smooth flight most of the time. (3090 etc)… 

However I too have noticed some long pauses. They ain’t micro stutters. 1-3 seconds at a time, in random places. 

One other weird thing I noticed, sumburgh airport, if I pan around or pass the same spot, I get a spike in frame time that causes a micro stutter. Exact same spot all the time. I’d imagine if there are more spots like this worldwide, it would be causing the same issues in other places.. 

• Like 2

Just a heads up, and a possibility; something that I have noted on my system is that with a lot of third-party liveries, frame rates are noticeably lower, and the possibility of stutters is a much higher

Simultaneously, memory usage within the Sim is also much higher with third-party liveries enabled.

The situation was serious enough that I have disabled all third-party liveries except those from asobo itself.

Hopefully this is of use to someone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It feels less smooth to me, but I'm not getting pauses.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Just a heads up, and a possibility; something that I have noted on my system is that with a lot of third-party liveries, frame rates are noticeably lower, and the possibility of stutters is a much higher

Did you notice this with DX12 (beta) or DX11? Are you referring to the livery you fly or AI liveries?

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

22 minutes ago, Silicus said:

Did you notice this with DX12 (beta) or DX11? Are you referring to the livery you fly or AI liveries?

I only noticed it on DX11.

I didn't really give DX12 a good enough try to reach any conclusions, besides that it needed work.

As far as liveries I'm talking about the ones for planes I fly, and I had quite a few (maybe a hundred or so liveries).

Memory usage (Vram) usually never exceeded 8gb or so, but tended to jump to 10gb or more on my 2080 Ti.

With that high Vram would come rhythmic and occasional hitches/pauses that went away when using default liveries.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Memory usage (Vram) usually never exceeded 8gb or so, but tended to jump to 10gb or more on my 2081 Ti.

On flightsim.to the really good liveries for the FBW320NX are in 8k.

I never understood the reasoning, I mean they all look great, but 8k? I can only run max 4k anyways, isn't that a waste of precious VRAM? But maybe I am missing something here and maybe when you VRAM spikes you fly something other than an 8k model...