Sign in to follow this  
PeterBremer

Location of database? (resolved)

Where on my harddisk can I find the Databases 2104 (May/June 2021)?
It clearly loads it in the simulator, but I can not find that file on harddisk.

I believe it's in the manual, I'm fairly sure I read it in there a few days ago.

Cheers, Andy.

1 hour ago, Andydigital said:

I believe it's in the manual, I'm fairly sure I read it in there a few days ago.

It suggests it is or could be set at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Database

But I could not find it there I thought: The files seems to be too old for the cycle 2104. Especially avtn_db.bin is of January 2021 , according to explorer.
Or it did not change the date when updating:
When checking the details via properties it indicates:

Created 11 april 2021
Modified 23 januari 2021
Access today.

So it might indeed be the correct file.

Edited by PeterBremer

9 hours ago, PeterBremer said:

Especially avtn_db.bin is of January 2021

There is no avtn_db.bin in the standard installation... Are you sure this isn't your own DB file instead?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Yes I checked again and it is indeed of January 2021, so from my own system.

Which file in the GTN database would be equivalent to the worldwide.bin file for GNS530/430?

In the past the avtn_db.bin file from the official GTN database worked for it.

The Garmin/Jeppesen navdata typically includes two versions: one for the GTN (nav_db2.bin) and one for the GNS (avtn_db.bin, aka worldwide.bin).

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The Garmin/Jeppesen navdata typically includes two versions: one for the GTN (nav_db2.bin) and one for the GNS (avtn_db.bin, aka worldwide.bin).

OK, So the official one, although bought for the GTN only, also contains the one for the GNS. That explains it.

It is a shame the update of the GTN simulator database does not seem to contain at that same moment the update for the GNS. A database for the GNS sim of 2016 if for me far too old. Luckily I still have the one of January for the GNS.

4 hours ago, PeterBremer said:

OK, So the official one, although bought for the GTN only, also contains the one for the GNS. That explains it.

In fact, it contains 2 versions of the same database, one in ADB1 format, and the other in ADB2 format:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01464-00_C.pdf

Note 1) Starting with G1000 GDU version 15.10 and G2/3/5000 GDU version 6.50, Garmin began supporting a
new format of the Navigation database known as ADB2.  The ADB2 filename on the SD card is “nav_db2.bin”.  
G1000 GDU software versions prior to 15.10 and G2/3/5000 GDU software versions prior to 6.50 only support
the ADB1 database format.  The ADB1 filename on the SD card is “avtn_db.bin”.  Database update tools will
program both versions of the database onto the card and the avionics will use the database file appropriate for
the system

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

3 hours ago, RXP said:

In fact, it contains 2 versions of the same database, one in ADB1 format, and the other in ADB2 format:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01464-00_C.pdf

Note 1) Starting with G1000 GDU version 15.10 and G2/3/5000 GDU version 6.50, Garmin began supporting a
new format of the Navigation database known as ADB2.  The ADB2 filename on the SD card is “nav_db2.bin”.  
G1000 GDU software versions prior to 15.10 and G2/3/5000 GDU software versions prior to 6.50 only support
the ADB1 database format.  The ADB1 filename on the SD card is “avtn_db.bin”.  Database update tools will
program both versions of the database onto the card and the avionics will use the database file appropriate for
the system

Is the ADB1 format available in the latest GTN simulator? That might be useful for the GNS

Edited by PeterBremer

10 minutes ago, PeterBremer said:

Is the ADB1 format available in the latest GTN simulator? That might be useful for the GNS

unfortunately it is no longer included with the GTN trainer.

13 hours ago, RXP said:

unfortunately it is no longer included with the GTN trainer.

Thanks for the info!

8 hours ago, PeterBremer said:

Thanks for the info!

Luckily I found one which was valid till June 2021 for the GNS, now using that one.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, PeterBremer said:

Luckily I found one which was valid till June 2021 for the GNS, now using that one.

Can you point me in its direction please?

kind regards,

Rick