Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

P3D updates filling my C: drive. Why?

The last two updates, using the full installer, about 25 GB is eaten up in my system drive even though my install is on my D.I have searched all through my C drive to see if any duplicate files were left from version 5.2. after the upgrade to 5.3. Could find no reason for more disk space to be used after a simple upgrade for the same sim. I have a 237GB SSD for my C and went from 55GB free down to about 25GB after the upgrade.  I managed to get about 8GB back by cleaning my windows/temp folder, running my disk cleanup, optimizing tool, emptying recycle bin. I now have only 33.1 GB left. 

I did a content uninstall of version 5.2 and then used the full installer to install P3DV5.3. Before doing this, I uninstalled my ORBX global and LC stuff and reinstalled after running the P3DV5.3 installer. I wonder if ORBX is sticking back up files somewhere. If so I can't seem to find them after a very extensive search through my C drive.

Any ideas why this would be anyone?

Thanks in advance.   

Vic green

The installer packages are stored in the "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache" folder when you install them. I believe this to make for quicker installations if you have to reinstall. The "ProgramData" folder may be hidden and you will have to go the folder options and check "show hidden files, folders, and drives. If you're computer savvy, you can move these files to another drive and use a program like Junction Link Magic to create a link to the drive that you moved the files to. Use Junction Link Magic with caution and care, If you're not sure what your doing do not use it.  Once the link is setup you can delete the installer package files from the C drive. I'm not sure what would happen if you just delete the installer package files, never tried.

Edit: You have to move the files from the "C:\ProgramData\Program Cache" folder to your other drive first and then delete them.  Junction Link Magic will not let you create the new link until the source drive empty. 

Cheers, John

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Look at this also, I had the same concerns:

Regards,

Tom

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

Windows already has their own version of junctioning/linking, but it needs to be done by first moving the package cache folder to the drive or folder of your choice, then running this through the command prompt; something like:

mklink /J "E:\Package Cache" "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache"

If you deleted the package cache, you would have a dud entry in your control panel, and if you tried to uninstall it, it would probably say there was an error uninstalling the product, and it would give you the option to delete the entry from registry. Of course, this won't actually uninstall anything, because the package cache contains the uninstaller, so now you'll end be having to manually delete the files yourself.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

Windows already has their own version of junctioning/linking, but it needs to be done by first moving the package cache folder to the drive or folder of your choice, then running this through the command prompt; something like:

mklink /J "E:\Package Cache" "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache"

If you deleted the package cache, you would have a dud entry in your control panel, and if you tried to uninstall it, it would probably say there was an error uninstalling the product, and it would give you the option to delete the entry from registry. Of course, this won't actually uninstall anything, because the package cache contains the uninstaller, so now you'll end be having to manually delete the files yourself.

Thank Aron, would I then not be able to uninstall with the main or individual client/content/scenery installers? 

Or, could I not delete the old uninstallers for the old versions of P3DV5.2 for example since I now have installed and using P3DV5.3?

Vic green

6 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

Or, could I not delete the old uninstallers for the old versions of P3DV5.2 for example since I now have installed and using P3DV5.3?

You can remove the old package cache, as they are not necessary. However, they should be removed automatically. If they are not, you're going to have to hunt them down as everything in the cache folder is all sorted by GUIDs.

2 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

Any ideas why this would be anyone?

Thanks in advance.   

As posted above they are stored in 'Package cache', I ALWAYS delete them (many Gigs sitting there, doing nothing) and have no problem Un/installing any of the P3D components.

P3D uses 'msi' files to Un/install itself ( very different from an 'exe' file) so all information relating to it is stored in the registry and also in 'Windows Installer'.

Edited by Sparkrite

1 minute ago, Sparkrite said:

As posted above they are stored in 'Package cache', I ALWAYS delete them (many Gigs sitting there, doing nothing) and have no problem Un/installing any of the P3D components.

P3D uses 'msi' files to Un/install itself so all information relating to it is stored in the registry and also in 'Windows Installer'.

Do you delete all the entries in the Package Cache or just the specific P3D one? If so how do you identify the specific ones to delete?

Vic green

13 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

Do you delete all the entries in the Package Cache or just the specific P3D one? If so how do you identify the specific ones to delete?

No just the ones relating to P3D, I identify them by using the timestamp.

Also quite often the name of the 'msi' file is in the 'GUID' diectory. Plus it's size is usually a giveaway.

Edited by Sparkrite
  • Like 1

OK, I found three cache entries and saved them in a folder on my D drive in case I need to put them back in the future. This recovered around 30 GB on my C. Very good. Thanks for the help.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I've found TreeSize Pro very useful for identifying what's consuming space on a drive. There's a paid version with extra features but the free one is very good too.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/features.shtml

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 12/5/2021 at 7:38 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've found TreeSize Pro very useful for identifying what's consuming space on a drive. There's a paid version with extra features but the free one is very good too.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/features.shtml

Ray, I found this app to be very helpful. Just cleaned a lot off my C drive wiping off months of saved FMS data saved by Navigraph. Past ARACS. Almost 15 GB if you can believe it.

Edited by Patco Lch
  • Like 1

Vic green

Just now, Patco Lch said:

Ray, I found this app to be very helpful. Just cleaned a lot off my C drive wiping off months of saved FMS data saved by Navigraph. Past ARACS.

Knew it would be. The paid version has pie charts making it easier to spot where space is being used.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather