Sign in to follow this  
reece0306

Is it possible to load a flight plan wihout ending flight?

Is it even possible to load a flight plan without going to main menu? I know in fsx you can press flight planning on the top bar to access the flight planning page where you can load or save a flight plan.

Yes, I do it all the time, especially when flying GA.... I create a flight plan in Little Nav Map, then manually input it to the GTN750 or similar... This way I can land at an airport, park up with the engines running, reinput the new flight plan and then take off...  The same applies to the FBW A320...

Faisal Niazi

26 minutes ago, reece0306 said:

Is it even possible to load a flight plan without going to main menu? I know in fsx you can press flight planning on the top bar to access the flight planning page where you can load or save a flight plan.

I have not found a way to do so.  I routinely do this with FSX now FSX SE. 

Why would anyone wish to do so?   Read on....

My average simulator flight is a bit over two hours.  Well, after loading a flight plan in FSX and taking off with ATC, I routinely contact control and cancel my IFR flight plan.  Usually a bit after I reach my cruise altitude. That so I do not have to listen to ATC get after the same (other) aircraft to expedite climb or expedite descent to a given altitude.  Like a broken record.  Or -- being instructed to change frequency, then a minute later instructed to change to the same freq I just left, then back and forth again.  Multiple times.

In FSX I found I could later, like relatively late in my flight, load the flight plan back in again, and choose not to position it me back at the origin airport.  That in FSX allows the flight to then continue on to the destination with the flight plan active and under ATC control again.  I badly miss that feature in MSFS.

I have on occasion reloaded a flight after a CTD, provided I at some point saved it while in flight.  Saving a flight saves two files, one is a .flt file, the other a .pln file.  Only one of those two reloads with some in-flight settings retained.  Forget which type file that is of the two.  Been a while since I have done so.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, Gadget FPV said:

Yes, I do it all the time, especially when flying GA.... I create a flight plan in Little Nav Map, then manually input it to the GTN750 or similar... This way I can land at an airport, park up with the engines running, reinput the new flight plan and then take off...  The same applies to the FBW A320...

I may be wrong, but I believe he is asking about doing so when still in flight, not when on the ground.  "Note that he said without ending the flight".

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

I may be wrong, but I believe he is asking about doing so when still in flight, not when on the ground.

Ah, you may be right, my bad... I fly like I stole it... hahaha

Edited by Gadget FPV

Faisal Niazi