Sign in to follow this  
EventHorizon

MSFS not responding 10 minutes into flight

Hello, after the latest major update is anyone experiencing a problem with the sim where at a certain time after launching the flight (I was supposed to write "after takeoff" but this happened a couple times during taxiing to the runway"), depending on where you are the sim stops responding? Screen freezes, audio continues but doesn't change with input for eg. when moving the throttle nothing changes in other words I would say its also frozen.

Now it sometimes depends on where you are, lets say you are flying from point A to B and it takes 10 minutes, the sim freezes half way during the flight 5 minutes in. Now if you take a longer path that goes a bit outward it will not freeze until you start getting closer to point B, 8 minutes after takeoff. Again this sometimes depends on where you are, as a couple times it froze during taxi, today I managed to fly for 15 minutes but took a longer path about 10NM away from the normal path I would fly. 

Long story short, sim stops responding about 10 minutes into flight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Welcome to Avsim

Standard Operating Procedure 😉 are you experiencing this with any addons (scenery, aircraft, utility including modded stuff)  in the Community folder ? If so, empty  the folder and try again. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It could be the Nvidia drivers. The latest ones are causing CTD (crash to desktop) for some people.

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Since the last update I have had nothing but crashes and this is one of them. When it happened I was preparing the plane on the apron and the sim and pc locked up but the mouse curser was still moving and if I paused trackir I could see that the computer was reacting to this input because the lights on the sensor were changing but apart from that I could get no reponse from system or flight sim to shut down the sim, bring up task manager or shut down the computer. The sim just froze with audio still running. It was a bit weird. I had to do a hard shut down which I hate to do. For the week or two I had this sim running before the update it was totally stable but as soon as that update was applied it has become a unreliable horror show for me. I have been concerned that this is a hardware problem with my recently installed 6900xt and power supply. I even replaced the power supply, reinstalled windows, tested memory, put the sim on a different drive, tried various graphics drivers but the problems continue and ONLY with flight sim. No problems running anything else.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Hi, Sorry to hear about your problems.

Not sure whether my experiences will help. I had an older machine; i5 4690 with GTX 1080ti, which was working apparently quite well from a performance perspective. However, particularly after SU5, I was experiencing constant and random CTDs and freezes like you, and whatever I tried could never get to the bottom of it.

I did the Windows Memory Diagnostic and found initially that it looked like some of my memory modules were faulty. I had 32Gb of RAM and after the tests took 2 of the apparently offending 8Gb modules out. For a while including during SU6, it seemed to improve things. But I still wanted my full 32Gb, so then I bought new memory modules, but they didn't work either.

This was a heart sinking moment as it looked like it might have been a motherboard issue. So I took my machine into a local PC repair company whom I trusted and have dealt with for 20 years. They confirmed when they got it onto the bench and tested it, that is was a motherboard problem and said it wasn't worth me buying a like for replacement. So in my case I just got them to build a new PC with an i7 11700k and 32Gb of DDR4 RAM and SSDs, using my old graphics card of course. For me this was a real nice upgrade, and it's been absolutely rock solid ever since (except when I've loaded a dodgy mod). Because I had a full version of Win10 they were able to just paste the old system onto my new SSDs and it was plug and play.

The similarity for you is no other programs revealed any such problems with my PC, only MSFS. People often blame MSFS sometimes rightly, but actually other than the recognised bugs, glitches and bork-ups from Asobo, a lot of issues I have found were ultimately with my own machine set-up.

As I said, not sure whether any of this is at all relevant in your case, but as this a great community, and others have gone out of their way to help me in the past, I've tried my best to help if I possibly can.

ray

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

Hi, Sorry to hear about your problems.

Not sure whether my experiences will help. I had an older machine; i5 4690 with GTX 1080ti, which was working apparently quite well from a performance perspective. However, particularly after SU5, I was experiencing constant and random CTDs and freezes like you, and whatever I tried could never get to the bottom of it.

I did the Windows Memory Diagnostic and found initially that it looked like some of my memory modules were faulty. I had 32Gb of RAM and after the tests took 2 of the apparently offending 8Gb modules out. For a while including during SU6, it seemed to improve things. But I still wanted my full 32Gb, so then I bought new memory modules, but they didn't work either.

This was a heart sinking moment as it looked like it might have been a motherboard issue. So I took my machine into a local PC repair company whom I trusted and have dealt with for 20 years. They confirmed when they got it onto the bench and tested it, that is was a motherboard problem and said it wasn't worth me buying a like for replacement. So in my case I just got them to build a new PC with an i7 11700k and 32Gb of DDR4 RAM and SSDs, using my old graphics card of course. For me this was a real nice upgrade, and it's been absolutely rock solid ever since (except when I've loaded a dodgy mod). Because I had a full version of Win10 they were able to just paste the old system onto my new SSDs and it was plug and play.

The similarity for you is no other programs revealed any such problems with my PC, only MSFS. People often blame MSFS sometimes rightly, but actually other than the recognised bugs, glitches and bork-ups from Asobo, a lot of issues I have found were ultimately with my own machine set-up.

As I said, not sure whether any of this is at all relevant in your case, but as this a great community, and others have gone out of their way to help me in the past, I've tried my best to help if I possibly can.

ray

This is where I am I think. Trouble is I don't have a pc repair place near here that I trust really. I have been building my own computers for 20 years and never had an issue I have not been able to identify and resolve myself but this problem is proving elusive. I may wait until the next hotfix and see if that stops it but failing that I may have to find somehwere with all the gear to test all my hardware. Honestly, flight sim aside my finger of suspicion has been pointing me at my motherboard but there is simply no way for me to be certain of that. All my gear is new so if the fault is identified getting replacements shouldn't be terribly hard.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

This is where I am I think. Trouble is I don't have a pc repair place near here that I trust really. I have been building my own computers for 20 years and never had an issue I have not been able to identify and resolve myself but this problem is proving elusive. I may wait until the next hotfix and see if that stops it but failing that I may have to find somehwere with all the gear to test all my hardware. Honestly, flight sim aside my finger of suspicion has been pointing me at my motherboard but there is simply no way for me to be certain of that. All my gear is new so if the fault is identified getting replacements shouldn't be terribly hard.

Yes that's why I had to go somewhere they could put the PC on the bench and run tests.

If your gear is new as you indicated, maybe first talk to the manufacturer or retailer who sold it to you, as it may still repairable or replaceable be under warranty.

The problem I think, is you can't really do Windows diagnostics directly on a mobo. You have to run external tests e.g. boot the OS from a pen drive. As you probably know much more than I do about PCs; having built machines before, you might know better how to go about doing this. I understand that products like PC Doctor (top end prod level) and Ultra X can be used to diagnose for mobo hardware issues. There may be others but I don't really know. My understanding is you can't do this properly using your own copy of Windows. The assumption is you already did all the Windows diagnostics first and now you need to separate out the pure hardware testing. Others here may be better qualified to advise of course.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

If your gear is new as you indicated, maybe first talk to the manufacturer or retailer who sold it to you, as it may still repairable or replaceable be under warranty.

Of course. I have no intention of buying more parts when they are obligated to replace them but I can't do that until I diagnose and identify the faulty part. If indeed there is one.

I just wnet to have a chat with a couple of different repair places around here and to be honest, the one guy knew less than me and the other got very shifty when I asked him what they use to diagnose hardware which made me very suspicious. He simply wouldn't tell me. Like I said, no one around here that I trust or that I consider proficiant.

• Like 1

Check that another program running on your PC isn't conflicting with Flight Simulator:

Click on start and type startup, select Startup Apps.

Deselect anything that isn't required by MSFS.

Things like 3rd-party anti-virus (you only need Windows built-in Defender), 3rd party tools for managing disks (Seagate toolkit) etc,

Reboot and try again.

If no more CTD, re-enable startup applications one at a time until you find the one that might be causing the conflict.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gb09f said:

Check that another program running on your PC isn't conflicting with Flight Simulator:

Click on start and type startup, select Startup Apps.

Deselect anything that isn't required by MSFS.

Things like 3rd-party anti-virus (you only need Windows built-in Defender), 3rd party tools for managing disks (Seagate toolkit) etc,

Reboot and try again.

If no more CTD, re-enable startup applications one at a time until you find the one that might be causing the conflict.

I don't run any of that kind of nonsense. The system runs clean. Always.

• Like 1

Yeah - me too.  I just thought I'd make the suggestion.

Are you doing any CPU or RAM overclocking?

Are your mobo (chipset) drivers and BIOS up to date?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gb09f said:

Yeah - me too.  I just thought I'd make the suggestion.

Are you doing any CPU or RAM overclocking?

Are your mobo (chipset) drivers and BIOS up to date?

Again, always up to date buddy. No overclocks. I don't even have Precision Boost Overdrive on. Well, technically that is not true. I do have the DOCP of the RAM enabled and that is technically an overclock. But a memory check cleared the RAM and I have been running Prime95 all day and so far no errors on the CPU. Yet, anyway. Turning DOCP off is on my list of tries at some point if this continues. But no matter what I throw at this hardware it comes back fine. The only time I have a problem is with MSFS and only after the last update. I cannot get it to fall over any other way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Thanks Fuzz .. that thread pointed me in the right direction for an issue I had since SU7 , and I was too lazy to diagnose the problem.

All good now - removed all [MID_CLICK] assignments in MOUSE PROFILE

• Like 3

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ