Sign in to follow this  
Guest radivil

FSX is awesome

>Also doing the fly-save-fly more-save-continue thing also,>have always done this with previous versions of FS and it's a>gas because rarely do I end up taking the same route twice. I've started doing this just now! Well, since I left from my hometown last week. And it's indeed great and it changed the FS-experience completely. I used to do flights from the same airport all the time, although I changed homebase every now and then, or I just picked an airport somewhere. But it always felt a bit pointless. But this 'fly-save-fly more-save-continue thing' is really A LOT nicer! And (as I said) feels a LOT more realistic! :) I thought about it before but just never did it... Now I can't imagine doing it the old way! This way no trip is the same: and since I can go around the whole world if needed I will never get bored. ;) (Although at the moment I think I will do various long trips starting from my hometown. I like things to have a goal and ending. And just flying on and on all over the world is a bit too much I think ;) . The next trip will go to Norway. Over land (Netherlands > Germany > Danmark > Sweden > Norway), because I do not like long trips above the sea... ;) )

Guest Stoopy

>... Now I can't imagine doing it the old>way! This way no trip is the same: and since I can go around>the whole world if needed I will never get bored. ;) (Although>at the moment I think I will do various long trips starting>from my hometown. I like things to have a goal and ending. And>just flying on and on all over the world is a bit too much I>think LOL - I see it as kind of a "Kung Fu" (TV Show, not the martial art) kinda thing.....taking the path just to see where it leads you, to find yourself and your Nirvana. With real weather of course :)In the past I usually take to the Baron or something with decent range and an autopilot for the overwater segents to the next continent, but rather than use time accelleration I always find it more interesting to get to altitude, lean the mixture and lower the manifold pressure so the plane is just puttering along easily, set it on autopilot then go to bed..."sleep behind the wheel" so to speak, and time it just right so that 8 hours later when I wake up, the plane is just about in position to start descend and landing. Happy journeys!!!

LOL That's also a way of doing it! ;)BTW Ever since I got the Track IR I haven't touched the time accel option anymore... Before that I always used it as soon as I was cruising, but since FS X got so much more real all in all, I do not even THINK about using that option! And I do make longer flights also! I do use the AP a lot but not as much as I used too. I used to do ILS-landings solely (picking only airports with ILS!) , only turning off the AP just before the treshold. But now I usually do the landings manually, sometimes with a little aid of the AP during approach, but more often doing the circuit and all completely manual. I even did some hops manual all the way. And all that ever since I got the TIR and things got so realistic. ;)I also used to fly the Baron but I don't like the low wings (also since I got the TIR ;) ), so I went for the Cessna, which btw has a VERY nice VC (better looking than the Baron!). I do miss the propellor though: I also like to fiddle around with the prop and the mixture. The Maule is nice too but the VC is AWFULL (specially the low res gauges...).Hm, this is turning into a 'The-Track-IR-changed-my-FSX-simming-life'-topic, which wasn't my meaning. but well... ;)

Well, I am on my 5th Around the World Flight at the moment and for the last 3, in FS2002, FS2004 and now FSX, I have been using the "start at the last position" technique. The only problem before was that on some more complex third party aircraft, you sometimes had to re-load the aircraft and situation files from scratch or some strange things started to happen.I have only a week ago received my TrackIR and have very soon realised that this appears to be one of the most significant advances to my simming experiences ever.The other advancement is actually flying all my legs in FSEconomy. This gives a real purpose to the flight and really makes me concentrate on fuel utilisation and route planning. In FSEconomy, any money that I earn on a paying leg, goes to pay for the fuel on a non revenue paying leg if I cannot find an assignment in the direction that I am heading.Unfortunately my flight has come to a premature halt for the moment as my new machine is Vista only and the current version of the FSEconomy/FSX client has an issue with Vista. But when they sort it out, I will be on my way again.Oh and BTW, all my previous flights were in real time and real weather.Cheers and good luck on your flights.Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track Clip BundleMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

>>So what I do is this: as soon as I have arrived at an airfield>and when I've parked my Cessna 172 somewhere (cold and dark of>course) I save the flight as DEFAULT! The next time I have>time to fly on, I startup FS X, plan the flight using the FS X>planner, starting (of course) from the airport my plane is on.About 10 months ago, I started doing this too.Someone here at AVSIM got me started on it.Since then, I've been all over--Presently in northern Mexico, flying a C-46 Commando toward Hermosillo.Using this start-where-I-last-finished method, I have encountered weather, terrain, and airports that I never encountered before.Now, if I want to see the scenery at a place, I have to fly there. That's why to see Victoria Falls (in Africa), I got a trusty Monarch A330 and flew from SAEZ to FACT. I had only flown across the South Atlantic ONCE in my fs, and that was probably in FS98 or FS2000 in a Bristol Britannia.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest CocoLoco

It's fun to see where this thread is going. I made an initial start on a round the world tour a few months ago (starting at the top of the Shetland Islands, north of Scotland). I've been making lots of small hops in mostly light GA planes. For one reason or another (not least the fact that FSX corrupted my log book), I've decided I want to start out again after SP1. I'm tempted to try this trip in just one plane so my question for the forum is: If you were to do a round the world trip in FSX in one plane, which plane would you choose given the following constraints? - any FSX GA aircraft but no jets. - autopilot but probably not GPS- an excellent VC- sufficient fuel range to allow me to actually make it (even if I have to go via Alaska etc).- preferably amphibian so I can take a break from flying in the wildernessMy current thoughts are the Aerosoft Beaver X (Amphibian) or their Catalina when it comes out. I'm also wondering about getting the Real Air Marchetti. I know it's not amphibious but it looks like a really nice aircraft to use. I suspect you'll all tell me to use different aircraft but somehow I think it would enhance the challenge of it if I have to work within the limits of the one aircraft. I would also get to learn its systems inside out so it would be nice if it was modelled well.P.S. Geofa - thanks for the link to the Aosta scenery. I had been wondering about downloading this for a while and you tipped the balance. It's very impressive! The problem I'm now having with photo scenery is that I don't want to fly out of the area (not really compatible with the aims of doing a round the world trip...)

I agree-I keep going back to Aosta too-it is simply unreal.I guess the only solution is to download the Ni'ihau photoscenery just uploaded by Scott Armstrong and figure out a way to get from Aosta to Hawaii! :-lol

You can modify an aircraft, giving it more fuel capacity--to simulate ferry tanks, for example.That's what was done when we (about 30 of us) flew the Mooney around the world a few years ago. It was modded for fuel and with a souped engine (which is a real-world mod a company called "Rocket Engineering" does to Mooneys...)Someone posted on here about how they were flying the trike across the Atlantic. haha! With a ferry fuel tank in the second seat, it might be possible (?) if you went up GIUK (greenland/iceland/uk) gap. I can't remember who posted about that! The Beaver X would be a nice one. The Cat would for sure have the range. With an amphib, you could take a route where you landed on all the world's oceans!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest jshyluk

Aerosoft has patched the BeaverX so that there is a long(er) ranged variant, although I must admit I haven't tried it. I do have a review for AVSIM for BeaverX coming soon, so you folks can read up on that. I think I can safely repeat other user's praise of TrackIR in the BeaverX VC, especially since the plane has no 2D cockpit. In previous versions of MSFS, I have flown around the world using the "save as I go" plan. It's incredibly fascinating to look up the various airports online as I visit them. I used the Learjet as my around-the-world aircraft of choice: it's small, lean, fast, and long-ranged.However, for FSX, I have to admit that I haven't flown the jets much except to to fly from Rome to Naples in the mission. This time around, I am thinking of hitting as many airports as I can with VFR flights in North America. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Hm, that BeaverX looks interesting, specially the amphibean! With that one you can go ANYWHERE! I personally don't switch planes while on a journey (that's spread out over a couple of days). I only doubt if the VC is looking good enough... Seems a bit freeware to me somehow. And I've read a review somewhere that there are quit a few things not working correctly (some buttons are very hard to reach and some just don't work). You also do not have a glideslope anywhere. Which isn't too bad since I do my landings more and more manual. But it might be handy during a landing in the dark...What I do like is that even the (default) GPS is in the VC and that you can do EVERYTHING in that VC since there is no 2D cockpit! It doesn't cost too much too...Hm, what shall I do....

Guest radivil

>Someone posted on here about how they were flying the trike>across the Atlantic. haha! With a ferry fuel tank in the>second seat, it might be possible (?) if you went up GIUK>(greenland/iceland/uk) gap. I can't remember who posted about>that! Last month, I was flying around the world in the default Maule and was going to cross there. My test flight proved it had the legs to get across to Greenland with plenty of fuel to spare, but it was in perfect weather. But when it was gameday, I used real world weather and was fighting a mighty headwind. Fell about 35 miles short of the airport, I think, and luckily made it to land. oops.

I agree with all said--FSX and Trackir 4 is great. However, add one more thing--the Buttkicker!It really adds to the experience.Randall

>Hm, that BeaverX looks interesting, specially the amphibean!>With that one you can go ANYWHERE! I personally don't switch>planes while on a journey (that's spread out over a couple of>days). I only doubt if the VC is looking good enough... Seems>a bit freeware to me somehow. And I've read a review somewhere>that there are quit a few things not working correctly (some>buttons are very hard to reach and some just don't work). You>also do not have a glideslope anywhere. Which isn't too bad>since I do my landings more and more manual. But it might be>handy during a landing in the dark...>What I do like is that even the (default) GPS is in the VC and>that you can do EVERYTHING in that VC since there is no 2D>cockpit! It doesn't cost too much too...>>Hm, what shall I do....I think the VC is excellent BTW and the buttons are not a problem with my TrackIR 4 Pro. While in VC mode, cycling through the "A" key takes you to all the other panels closeup anyway, providing easy access to all the buttons you will need.I'm not sure what else is not supposed to be working properly, but the lack of glidescope is only a problem to those who do not know how to land visually IMHO.There are plenty of visual clues and information available on airport charts to provide pilots with the information necessary to make an approach and land safely. On small bush strips, one would not have VOR or ILS facilities anyway making the instrument redundant.The Beaver X is a winner for me anyway, admittedly not for everyone. Also I am in no way affiliated with the developers or retailers of this product.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Great story. I plan all my legs with a min 60 minute reserve and ensure I have a couple of alternates near the destination. Only on a few occasions have I had to bite into that although I am a bit concerned as to how I can make that GIUK stretch with the wheeled Beaver X as I find the range a bit short.Cheers and good luck with your flight.Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html